Forums Latest Members
  1. John R Smith Oct 18, 2013

Back to my “new” Omega 2445 yet again, this time with a query about the crystal. Which is of a type which I have not seen before in my little collection, but I am betting that some of you may well have. It does not have the Omega symbol in the centre, but then perhaps that does not rule it out as possibly original (with a watch from 1946). The profile is very flat, as you can see -

Crystal Profile.jpg

And instead of the rounded edge that my other crystals have got, this one has a crisp vertical face to the edge, like this, as if it was machined off -

Crystal Rim.jpg

Is this an Omega style, or do you think this is a later after-market crystal? Anyway, it plays a large part in the look of this watch, because as it catches the light the vertical face of the crystal glows in very interesting ways almost as if it were lit from inside -

Crystal Lights.jpg

You can tell that I have too much time on my hands, can’t you? ;)

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 18, 2013

Since so few watches that age have original crystals, there really isn't any reliable way to know for sure if it is original or not.

So enjoy your watch for what it is,
    gatorcpa

3. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 18, 2013

Yup.

4. ulackfocus Oct 18, 2013

If you want my opinion, having the original crystal or not isn't a deal breaker. It's nice if it is the crystal it came with from the factory still on the watch as it shows how little wear was put on the watch, but I consider a crystal a normal maintenance replacement item - sort of like tires on a car. You don't change them as much as the oil, but they do wear out eventually.

5. John R Smith Oct 18, 2013

Sorry, Gator and Dennis, I didn't make myself clear. I'm not at all bothered about whether the crystal is the one which came with my watch or not, as such - I'm just intrigued as to whether this is an Omega style. In other words, is this crystal a design choice by the Omega team of the 1940s, or just a later aberration? Another of my interests is Gibson and Martin guitars, and you find that very few of these apparently chance things are actually accidental. Luckily with Gibson, most of the ECNs (Engineering Change Notes) have survived from the 1940s and '50s. There are very many subtle differences between the various models of Gibson Super 400s, for example, and Tom Van Hoose has devoted a book to them. So I was asking - are there other examples of this crystal style, and if so from which period? After all, you guys have seen thousands of watches, so who better to ask? ;)

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 18, 2013

I don't recall ever seeing an original Omega crystal with a hard edge like this, typically these low dome crystals blended smoothly with the edge of the bezel so as not to have an abrupt transition.

7. ulackfocus Oct 18, 2013

Okay, gotcha now. Gotta agree with Norm - I don't recall any Omega crystals with this kind of raised edge.

8. John R Smith Oct 18, 2013

Thank you, Norm, that is some useful evidence. I have a low profile crystal which is genuine Omega on my Constellation and that, as you say, blends smoothly.

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 18, 2013

10. John R Smith Oct 18, 2013

Yes, Norm, thanks again - that is pretty much the same as my Connie - low profile with a rounded edge, mine is 1954. So it looks like my illuminated crystal is an imposter and a later replacement. Interesting . . .

11. rhetoric Oct 18, 2013

John, a couple of months ago I asked my watchmaker to replace a crystal on my 30.10. When I called to pick it up he seemed pleased that he had replaced the crystal with a glass bevelled edge crystal which he had found. I considered getting him to put in a regular replacement, but the bevelled edge just seemed to suit the style of the dial and case. I think that it enhances the look of it. It's a nice look, I reckon. Sorry about the soft pic, done quickly just to show what I mean.
    Aviary Photo_130266102463665811.png

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 18, 2013

That was my thought as well, that the crystal was real glass. If so, it is highly unlikely to be original, since Omega had switched most models over to Hexalite (plastic) before this watch was made.

I still think it's very nice!
    gatorcpa

13. John R Smith Oct 19, 2013

Yes, the thought crossed my mind. But in fact there was quite a nasty scuff on it around the 11 o'clock position, which I managed to polish out with no problem. So I don't think it is glass. It also has the normal tension ring.

14. John R Smith Oct 19, 2013

Here's something which might be relevant. This forum thread illustrates a 1940s Omega which is contemporary with mine, although a different case reference. And the book illustration appears to show a similar crystal with a glowing hard edge -

Omega 2420-1946.jpg

Or on second thoughts, perhaps this "edge" is meant to represent the r/h side of the tension ring?