Forums Latest Members

The start of something both exciting and worrying - Seamaster 145.029

1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 14, 2016

The start of something both exciting and worrying - Seamaster 146.029

First, let me say the people on this forum are awesome. The wealth of information available here is incredible, and the people are really helpful. So thanks again, guys, it's a pleasure to be a member and learn.

So, it all started 3 years ago. I was going through some very very tough times professionnally speaking. My wife and I were taking a weekend off in a nice, posh quarter of one of Europe's most gorgeous cities, Lyon. As I walked past a second-hand watch shop, I almost lost it as I saw my teenager's horological wet dream, a Blue/gold/steel Chronomat with matching UTC module. This was THE watch I wanted as a teen. The requested price was in the 4KEUR, but I wasn't prepared to buy my first expensive timepiece that day, plus I could sense there was something not completely right about that choice. So I said to myself, "If I can get out of that professionnal rut unscathed in 6wks as planned, I'm back in 6wks, and I buy it, damnit".

I survived the professionnal challenge :) Then I called the shop, and of course, it had sold :(

But I knew I was onto something here, so I started digging for which timepiece I would treat myself with and learning a bit about what was out there. I didn't think about the vintage watch market at all, I was more looking into contemporary timepieces. But weirdly enough, those watches that tickled my fancy were mostly looking like 60's and 70's classics. Tag Monaco, Breitling navitimers and chrono-matics, Zenith El-Primero's, all with a "vintage flair". For 3 years, I have not bought anything except an Orient Mako Pepsi, which I absolutely love by the way, just to prove myself I would not fall for a Rolex, like the typical guy going through mid-life crisis in Switzerland, where I live. But no "fine" watch, I didn't find anything I was ready to buy.

But a month ago, on a (1:1) vintage car forum that had a thread on watches, one thing leading to another, I got my interest raised for Heuer Autavias re-releases, and then through the magic of Internet, I saw THE watch I wanted. A Speedmaster MkII with Racing dial. Then I knew it was it. Interestingly, I knew about the re-re version from 2014, but I wasn't interested in one... I drive a car whose design dates back to the 70's, I want a watch whose design dates back to that same period (or so, the speed MkII was born in '69, but it'll do).

I have a couple of older watches already. My dad's very own '64 Seamaster De Ville he gave me 20 years ago, and a Breitling Jupiter Pilot I got as a graduation present back then:
    [​IMG]

But looking into the MkII and its contemporary brethren, I fell in love with the Omega from this period. The colors. The way the dials catch the light. The timekeeping features. The "XXXmaster" names. And those cushion-shaped cases... they're just perfect. Over the past few weeks I've scoured the internet and all the vintage watch shops in the area, and I have not found my Speedy MkII yet. But I've seen a handful of watches I know I want, the first one in Lyon again, discussed here :https://omegaforums.net/threads/help-please-id-this-seamaster-and-color-combo-145-029.36704/

[​IMG]

Edited Mar 14, 2016
    Lxsman1, dialstatic and Lukeeesteve like this.
  2. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 14, 2016

(c'ed)

And, now, that one below is mine. A gorgeous Seamaster 145.029, which I picked up friday in a local shop after spotting it and negociating it over 3 days. It is said to have its original dial and tritium (and it does!). The orange hands and blue dial contrast so well together, and the way that contrasts is increased with sunlight is insane!

[​IMG]

The bespoke leather bracelet is fine too, but not to my liking, so it will go onto another watch as I have a ideas in mind to glorify its sexy colors.

[​IMG]

The case back is primo:
    [​IMG]

A pic of the the 861 in all its glory, shared with the speedmaster, taken at the shop, poor lighting conditions (and cellphone)
    [​IMG]

As the weather was really nice today and I was stuck at home due to sickness, I snapped a couple of shots outside with bright spring colors, a bit flower power – hope you like them :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for accepting me in the community, and listening to that (slightly stupid I guess) story of mine...:p

And watch out for more to come. Just don’t tell my wife nor my banker! ;)

Paul

Edited May 25, 2016
  3. Rodmar Jan 9, 2017

Was doing a search and ran across this thread. What a beautiful Jupiter, I'm after one currently myself!

How long have you had it?

4. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jan 10, 2017

Hi there

thanks for reviving this post :)

The Jupiter I've owned since new in the mid-90's... I still love her like the first day, the shark strap is beginning to wear out but the rest of the watch is as stunning as it was 20+yrs ago, and like all Sicura-influenced designs, it's becoming particularly funky as the years pass by :) (not any pics available though!)

In the meantime, the 145.029 has been installed on a couple of other straps:

bespoke alligator strap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the almighty Gulf Natos, the ones that I first saw the watch mounted on in a shop, and that started it all, but I only bought it later!

2-pc (and untucked btw)

[​IMG]

And 1-pc:

[​IMG]

It's one of these watches that makes me feel "happy" when I wear it - the colors do it I think!

Paul

Andy K, Speedmasterfan88 and Edward53 like this.
  5. Speedmasterfan88 Jan 10, 2017

Wow! Those blue alligator straps with the orange stitching are top notch! Very nice combo!

Lonestar likes this.
  6. Delroyb Jan 10, 2017

Absolutely love that dial/hand combo!

Lonestar likes this.
  7. ajg1960 Jan 11, 2017

Gorgeous!!!

Lonestar likes this.
  8. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jan 12, 2017

Cheers guys - and thanks for all the good advice I've received on ΩF - as well as kudos to Omega for releasing so many cool watches in the 60's - 80's ... Masters of dials and hands color-matching!

Andy K likes this.
  9. tdn-dk Jan 12, 2017

Lonestar likes this.