Forums Latest Members

La Collezione Speedmaster Firma - Spedizione 60/61...Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer Repair

1. TLIGuy May 11, 2016

I have added a new addition signed by NASA Project Engineer James Ragan.

IMG_8851.jpg

Edited Apr 27, 2017
    Lou P, Tritium, SpeedyPhill and 14 others like this.
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 11, 2016

Nice way to close the circle, indeed! Bravo!

TLIGuy likes this.
  3. TLIGuy Jul 7, 2016

Vindication letter added:thumbsup:

blubarb likes this.
  4. blubarb Jul 7, 2016

Every time I read this thread, I am amazed at the perseverance, determination and focus that went into this project. One day, I would love to read the detailed behind the scenes logistics, the ups and downs that went into this incredible project. It could not have been easy. :thumbsup:

Taddyangle and TLIGuy like this.
  5. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 7, 2016

Fascinating information and great visuals. Would be interesting for anyone - especially people of my age who watched those fuzzy black & white tv pictures live in July 69 - but for the Omega fan it's wonderful and you just want more and more!

TLIGuy likes this.
  6. TLIGuy Jul 9, 2016

The Mission Continues....TLIGuy Signing off.

Edited Apr 27, 2017
    lando, SpeedyPhill, Jwit and 8 others like this.
  7. TLIGuy Aug 17, 2016

Thank you J.L. Pickering for providing me with one of the best Speedmaster photographs ever taken...A gathering of Speedmasters.

blubarb likes this.
  8. blubarb Aug 17, 2016

Yes, must get this

9. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Aug 17, 2016

^^^^
    What am I missing Gents?
    I can't see any photograph in the above two posts and google isn't coming up with anything.
    ::confused2::

10. blubarb Aug 17, 2016

I believe the pics referred to by TLIGuy are those shown in the book by J.L. Pickering titled "A gathering of Speedmasters."

Emeister likes this.
  11. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Aug 17, 2016

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Forgot I had these on my shopping list:
    Spaceshots and Snapshots of Projects Mercury and Gemini: A Rare Photographic History
    Moonshots and Snapshots of Project Apollo: A Rare Photographic History

Must be under the influence of donuts :taunt:

blubarb likes this.
  12. TLIGuy Aug 18, 2016

Just for clarification J.L. Pickering published the two fantastic books below and are a must have. Both are filled with hundreds of previously unseen images from his private collection accumulated over the years as a NASA photographer. I dubbed the newly added image A gathering of Speedmasters.

I originally wanted to add this image to the narrative because it tied nicely to the signed Leonov piece. I was unable to locate the original unsigned image in any of the NASA galleries and Mr. Pickering was kind enough to provide it to me.

Lou P, SpeedyPhill and Taddyangle like this.
  13. RedMac Aug 20, 2016

This is one of the best threads. TLI Guy, you have done a great job in tracking down the major participants in one of the greatest human explorations of all time. Congratulations!

TLIGuy likes this.
  14. TLIGuy Sep 29, 2016

I have added a new piece to the collection signed by Space Shuttle astronaut Kent Rominger.

Kent Rominger (Captain, USN, Ret.) was selected by NASA to become an astronaut in 1992. He is a veteran of five Space Shuttle flights (STS-73, 80, 85, 96, and 100) and has logged more than 1,600 hours in space. After becoming one of NASA’s most accomplished astronauts, he later became the Chief of the Astronaut Office retiring in 2006.

Rominger commanded his final flight launching aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour (STS-100) in 2001 while wearing his first generation Omega X-33 Speedmaster. This new addition to the collection marks the liftoff of his final mission and the beginning of one of the most complex Space Shuttle missions ever flown.

Captain Rominger tells his story...No Shuttle Runway in Sight.

CREDIT - Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex

Edited Apr 27, 2017
  15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 29, 2016

Awesome. Would be cool to see your work displayed at the air and space museum in San Diego.

repoman and TLIGuy like this.
  16. RedMac Sep 29, 2016

I like the new addition. It's a bit different with the complete X-33 case and helps make the transition from the Speedmaster Pro to the X-33 in US Space missions. I like the Velcro wrist strap too. Can never have enough Velcro.

SpeedyPhill and TLIGuy like this.
  17. KeepTheSpeed Sep 29, 2016

Stuff of dreams! Thanks

TLIGuy likes this.
  18. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 1, 2016

Superb and unique collection and an informative topic right on time for the upcoming 60th anniversary of the Omega Speedmaster chronograph.
    FYI Some spaceflight & Omega related history can also be seen at MoonWatchUniverse
    http://moonwatchuniverse.tumblr.com/archive
    ::book::

TLIGuy likes this.
  19. Civic4982 Oct 1, 2016

thank you so much for putting this together. I love it!

TLIGuy likes this.
  20. TLIGuy Nov 4, 2016

I have added a new piece to the collection signed by Skylab 4 astronaut Edward G. Gibson.

Ed Gibson was selected as an astronaut by NASA in 1965 as part of the first group of Scientist-Astronauts. Gibson was the Science Pilot of Skylab 4 that launched on November 16, 1973, and concluded February 8, 1974. This was the longest manned flight (84 days 1 hour 15 minutes) in the history of manned space exploration at that time. During his 84 day mission aboard Skylab, Gibson preformed three EVA’s logging 15 hours and 22 minutes outside the Skylab Orbital laboratory.

Ed Gibson is seen below at the Apollo Telescope Mount (ATM) console. During the 84-day mission the Comet Kohoutek and solar activity were closely followed by the ATM and monitored from this station. From this console Gibson operated the NRL slitless spectrograph that recorded the first ever birth of a solar flare from space on January 21, 1974.

s74-17306.jpg

Edited Apr 27, 2017
    Lou P, ahartfie, GregH and 2 others like this.