Forums Latest Members

The speedmaster 'red box' questions: a few observations

1. Tom Dick and Harry May 6, 2016

Afternoon all

I thought I would post a little something about the speedmaster famous 'red box' and my observations of a couple of my examples.

Here are two examples, note the different dimensions of the outer boxes and alternative fonts on the cardboard outer

image.jpeg

I've got many omega boxes and amongst the famous 'red box' style I have a total of eight variations, all slightly different, here are a few, the main difference with most is the insert or the font style but on the earlier variations the box is slightly larger and the manufacturing much more akin to those of the late 1950's Omega boxes

Note the different shape and construction of the inner box, the earlier box is much more rigid and feels like it is made using more tradition less 'mass manufactured' methods (example being there are no exposed hinges on the earlier box)

image.jpeg

It has long been mooted that the speedmaster was supplied in the now famous red box, as a result complete box sets with papers are not changing hands for +£500 and will add considerably to the value of a speedy. The reality is that Speedies post circa 1964 were indeed supplied in these boxes but they are also the most common Omega box, as much as the Speedy nuts may not want to hear it the speedy was by no means the top end Omega throughout the 1950's-1990's and as such simply didn't warrant the 'special' boxes of watches like the Marine Chronometer or Speedy 125

image.jpeg

I own two speedy pro's, both sold 10 years apart. First. 105.003-64, sold August 1967 second a 145.022-76 sold June 1977. I know the history back to day for of both so I know the boxes are both original to the watches

image.jpeg

Both are pictures here on DS&S BCTs

To the untrained eye both boxes appear the same but they are not. Whilst the style is the same the box for the 105.003 is larger, with alternative font and the make up in terms of build and leather(ette) used is far more akin to the earlier coffin boxes of the 2915 and 2998 (and some 105.003's)

image.jpeg

You will note by the imagery that the boxes are clearly different when compared side by side, as are the red document wallets and also the hang tags (a fact most people know). The printing on the red wallet is finer on the earlier examples and the construction of the box is of a better quality, it feels more 'hand made'

image.jpeg

I will add some more on the other boxes later but just wanted to get a little something posted for those who might be interested

image.jpeg
    Cheers Tom

Edited May 6, 2016
  2. grizzlycanuck May 6, 2016

Nice to see....thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

3. sky21 May 6, 2016

Thanks @Tom Dick very insightful stuff!! Love the mesh bracelets on those speedys as well, is that how they were originally sold?

4. Tom Dick and Harry May 6, 2016

Thanks chaps

The 105003 was originally supplied on 1039 and the 145022 was on 1171. The DS&S bands were available as uk supplied (which both watches were) options, I have a U.K. Dealer catalogue from 1968 with the DS&S as an option for speedy and sm300.

The DS&S bands are really rare now and 19mm and 20mm extremely rare, especially with the non curved case ends (which I struggle with because of small wrists)

Slevin kelevra and sky21 like this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 6, 2016

awesome write up Tom! thanks for sharing. this is what makes this place so awesome!

6. M'Bob May 6, 2016

Somehow those little tags are so cool.