Forums Latest Members
  1. gaugetheday Feb 16, 2015

Hello all,

I'm new, and I've recently purchased a used Speedmaster 3510.50 that will be shipping soon. I'm very happy to be joining the club and have some other vintage omegas as well.

My question: since I did not buy a Moon Watch, I'm in the habit, thus far, of calling my 3510.50 a Space or NASA watch so I have a launching point to tell a few of the Omega Speedy stories: Olympic Games, First American Space Walk, Moon Mission, Apollo 13, Space Shuttle trips.

Now I'm careful to say my new watch will be a watch in that series. Obviously, I'm making a little use of the connection, but also trying to create that story launch point to convey the brand's history and vibrancy. I'm definitely not trying to trick anyone.

In your opinion, is this kosher or do you say, "no go!"

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 16, 2015

To quote another member's musing, "Its an Auto. Has about as much connection to a Moonwatch as a datsun."
    There is nothing "space" or NASA" about the reduced model. Yes, it is an Omega. And yes, it is a good segue into the Omega story which includes the Space Program. Further, as it stands on its own, the 3510.50 is a fine watch that gets little respect in a family of integrated chronograph movements like the Valjoux and Lemania-based models.
    You can create any story you like. We are not the Omega police.

Varasc, KRLYUZH, dougiedude and 2 others like this.
  3. mozambique Feb 16, 2015

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on buying your first Speedy!
    Your watch IS a Speedmaster (it says so the the dial). Omega is still using the lunar back story as a sales pitch 50 years later. I looked at the latest incarnation of the moon watch at a jewelers on Saturday. Looks pretty similar to the majority of Speedmasters that preceded it. So, I wouldn't have any qualms in describing your watch as a 'moon watch', as it is part of the lineage and that's good enough!

ock2915 likes this.
  4. Drawarms Feb 19, 2015

a speedy is a speedy, whatever makes you happy. IMO its more of a "newer model of the watch that was on the moon and approved for space trips"