Forums Latest Members

The Smiths Mk10. London event, Wed. June 28th. You're invited.

1. neilfrancis Jun 21, 2017

OF Members with an interest in Smiths/Military watches - and who are in, or near, London next Wednesday evening - are cordially invited to an event being hosted by the Wrist Watch Group of the Antiquarian Horological Society.

Owen Gilchrist, a watchmaker with a serious passion for Smiths movements will be talking us through the "Mk10" movement; giving a history, some details of the evolution and development of the movement. He will guide us as we dive into the mechanism via a camera and projector and show us first hand what makes this English made movement unique and interesting.

Afterwards you'll be given the opportunity for discussion and to take in the amazing scenery of The Clockworks, a wonderful collection of electrical horology.

Places are limited but I know that there is still some availability and James Harris (Secretary of the WWG) has kindly allowed me to extend the invitation to OF members as I am pretty sure there are some among you with an interest in military timepieces.

Read this. Details of the venue can be found here: http://theclockworks.org/

Read this. Details about the AHS can be found at http://www.ahsoc.org/

Do this. Reserve your place at this event by writing to: [email protected]

The event starts at 7pm.

It's at 6 Nettlefold Place, West Norwood, London SE27 0JW, easily reached by train out of Victoria Station.

I do hope that some of you are able to come along. The plan is that the Wrist Watch Group of the AHS will run a comprehensive series of events in the coming months and years that'll cover a wide range of subjects of interest to wristwatch afficionados, collectors, boffins, geeks and the just curious. People just like you.

I'll be keeping you all posted and encouraging you join.

But for now, a picture of a Mk.10 movement:

Screenshot 2017-06-21 16.14.19.png

(Get in there.)

Edited Jun 21, 2017
  2. tapaptpat Jun 23, 2017

Done

neilfrancis likes this.