Forums Latest Members

The Roman Greco wrestling watch

1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Sep 27, 2015

My father has been getting really old and tired lately. At 86 he is winding down everything and has every right to do so. Me and my two brothers are visiting him as much as possible to show our love and affection for a man that, despite being physically very small today, is and was big in every way. Intellectually, socially - an all round good guy - to family, friends and collegues.

For a long time he was also physically big. He competed in Roman Greco wrestling until he was 45. In the light heavy weight class since he was around 18. This was in the time when Roman Greco wrestling was interesting, action packed and you won matches by actually wrestle your opponent...

He won his last match in 8 seconds. He knew he could not go the full distance at his age so he took advantage of his long experience and "cheated". You shake hands with your opponent and then the referee blows his wissle and you can start wrestling. You are suppoused to let go of your opponents hand but my father did not. You can only do this trick once and he retired from competing after that... :)

In the early to mid sixties he found this Certina in the locker room. It was announced thru the speakers at the tournament and the next following. No takers. It has been in the drawer since then.

Nice case and dial - with a little oxidation on hands and indexes. 35-36mm. Crystal has some scratches - dark at 3 and four plus some that are obstructing the Certina text. I think this watch would clean up very well. I guess it is a fifties watch and that it was used every day until it got lost (and found).

I will give it a service but I do not know if I would dare to use it... Imagine meeting an old wrestler saying - "Hey - that is my watch!". And then going for a headlock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Sep 27, 2015
    Syrte, Duracuir1, x3no and 20 others like this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 27, 2015

Wonderful story, and your Father must have had quite an interesting life of sport!

As for the watch - don't worry - just wear it. If you ever meet the wrestler who owned it... just offer him your father's "handshake". ;)

x3no, Nitzbar, styggpyggeno1 and 2 others like this.
  3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 27, 2015

Enjoyed the story about your father. Thanks for sharing.

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  4. marturx Sep 27, 2015

There you go! That's how a vintage watch should look like. Certina certainly made some good looking timepieces too. That is definitely one of them IMO

Great story about your father. How did he feel about retiring from wrestling the way he did? No remorse?

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  5. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Sep 28, 2015

Absolutely not. At the time it was viewed as a fun thing and no one thought ill of it happening - he did not break any written rule - and he was a popular guy. It was time to retire from that part of the sport and he did it in a spectacular way. He then continued as a referee and staging tournaments for 20 more years.

6. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 7, 2016

I just got very emotional. My father peacefully passed away in december and it was OK - he wanted it as his body did not function anymore. Surrounded by all close to him and who loved him to the last breath. He ate nothing for a long time and became small - by will - it was his way of taking command over his situtation and ending it.

One of my brothers found this picture and sent it to me and I got totally struck. By how much I miss him and how short ones memory is. My mental picture of him as he dwindled in size has overshadowed memorys of what he used to be. Then this picture came to me...

Here he is - at 72. Look at the shoulder, chest and neck. Now I remember how he looked almost all his life. And yet it is his facial expression that gets me. He was a good guy and I believe it actually show in the picture. He is really missed.

[​IMG]

Syrte, JONKARLOS, cicindela and 18 others like this.
  7. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 7, 2016

:)

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 7, 2016

Sympathies to you and your family. Be sure that he is proud of you.

9. dx009 Apr 7, 2016

That's a beautiful watch. I can feel the energy it still emits. A true vintage.

Although not regarded as very valuable or popular, just like the small stature of your father there seems to be a similarity between the 2. :) Overlooked by many, underestimated, but in the eyes of those that matter, both the watch and your father go a lot of respect and praises, I'm sure.

10. Canuck Apr 7, 2016

I own the brother to your Certina! Mine is in good shape now (after a lot of expense and work), but it was a busted up farmer's watch when I acquired it. Yours is in all together excellent shape from what I see. I suspect the movement in yours if a Kurth Freres caliber 25-45 movement like the one in mine. I have uploaded a picture of it. I think this KF movement in its day was on a par with most of the other name brands of the era. Beautifully finished, even behind the dial. Well designed, fitted with a patented micrometer regulator. I have a strong suspicion your's is a much better candidate for a complete service than mine was when I started. Movement picture courtesy the Ranfft movement archive.

I haven't heard it from anybody yet, but by the way. Yes! This dial HAS been refinished! It was a mess when I acquired the watch! When does patina cease being patina? At one point, when is a dial no longer tropical?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edited Apr 7, 2016
  11. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Apr 7, 2016

Sympathies. Thank you for sharing this great story and watch.

12. alam Apr 7, 2016

My sympathies as well, I can relate to your father's story as mine just turned 86 a few days ago - although he remains relatively strong physically, it is his mind that is now slipping away..:(

13. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 7, 2016

1. Styg, condolences on the loss of your father.

2. Alam, I can relate to your story. Mine's 80 and has completely lost his memory. Try to appreciate the time you have left.

alam likes this.
  14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 7, 2016

It shows in the picture.

Syrte, aap and ahartfie like this.
  15. aap Apr 8, 2016

First, my condolences :-(

If this ever happens, please make sure to take photos!

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 8, 2016

We all have to go sometime mate, sadly it's the ones left behind who bear the pain. I still remember my Dad, and envy him for the full head of hair he had till the day he went.

As to your Dad in the pic you posted, just cover the bottom half of his face to hide that slight smile so that only his eyes are showing.

I wonder how many opponents got second thoughts when they saw that eye to eye stare?

Cheers

Jim