Forums Latest Members

The responsibility of opinion.

1. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 16, 2016

A few recent threads got me thinking about the advice and opinions that we are ever more frequently requested to provide in relation to "should I purchase this watch", "is this watch correct" or "what is this watch worth".
    I often tend to shy away form offering advice or opinions as I know there are others far better informed than me. The problem I see coming is that the value of what we are discussing is in most cases substantially more than a couple of years ago and we are frequently being requested to offer advice that could have an impact of thousands of dollars. My worry is that we may one day be taken to task on the advice offered and be forced into a very uncomfortable situation.

We are seeing more and more new members requesting advice and we freely and openly share our opinions with the best of intention but in reality we do not know the motives of the new member.

Should we be concerned?

Baz9614 likes this.
  2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 16, 2016

I first came here asking for opinions on my first Omega. Of course I did what everyone says not to do and asked after I bought the watch. If we didn't offer these sort of opinions then this place wouldn't be the same.

Matty01 and ahsposo like this.
  3. cristos71 Jan 16, 2016

I just assume that at least 50% of the newbies who come with questions are looking for a free valuation here before they proclaim themselves experts and try to offload it for top euros elsewhere.

Then 25% are dealers with not exactly sure what they have got, trying to test the water/drum up business/find a more precise price tag before they too sell.

The last 25% are genuine and I am more likely to comment on their posts.

Regarding responsibilities, it is 100% the buyers/sellers responsibility to first listen to any answers given, if necessary ask follow up questions and then to make their own minds up.

4. lillatroll Jan 16, 2016

I don t think it says anywhere on this Forum that the members here are experts in the sense that their word is gospel so any opinion given should be taken as the word of the Watch gods. Thus it is difficult to understand how the opinions given could in someway be accountable.
    The threads that are asking about a particular watch can throw up some debate about authenticity etc but with so much knoweldge amongst members the correct answer comes to the fore, (unless its a prototype, these can cause ructions).
    One of the things I like about this forum is that members offer advice selflessly and members like myself get to learn new stuff all the time through the type of threads so they are useful for people who,have an intrest in watches aswell as those who are just intrested in their watch. I even like reading about Speedmasters, ( not a fan)

Matty01, NT931 and blufinz52 like this.
  5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 16, 2016

My opinion is that anyone who has the ability to post a reasonably coherent question is probably able to weigh the responses/advice given and act accordingly.

However, sometimes certain opinions offered give the impression that they are not in fact opinions (no matter how sincerely held or well informed), but hard and fast facts.

For example, I frequently see responses along the lines of "overpriced - wait for a better example". Leaving aside the matter of what constitutes "overpriced", I challenge anyone to predict accurately when the "better example" will appear, unless it is already up for sale here or elsewhere.

The technical specs of a watch are factual, its reasonable second hand cash value and aesthetic appeal are opinions.

Edited Jan 16, 2016
  6. Davidt Jan 16, 2016

I've got no problem offering my opinion on the condition, originality and value of a watch. I only really comment on Speedmaster posts as that's what I know. I'm pretty confident that what I say is generally correct regarding condition, and I've got a good idea of the market. The final responsibility always lies with the op though.

I do agree that it is easier to 'buy, buy, buy', when it's not your money on the line, but again, the op has the final say. We can only offer our opinion based on the info we see. Anyone that takes advice given online as gospel, overriding their own opinion, has much bigger issues that which vintage watch they buy.

What I tend not to comment on are those threads asking 'which model should I buy'. How anyone expects a group of random people, spread across the globe, chatting on the Internet to know better than you, which model you would prefer is beyond me.

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 16, 2016

Unfortunately, what we witnessed last night was another category all together. Someone new to this hobby who went from zero to 200 posts in a couple of weeks then onto 1600 posts within 10 months. He seemed to believe that he had become a veteran in this short space of time without having done the research on the subject that many members have. A lot of new members are either unprepared to invest in the material needed to carry out proper research, not prepared to invest the time needed to carry out the proper research or not sufficiently interested in our hobby.

Offering an uninformed opinion is a dangerous thing and I totally agree with @cristos71 that it is the responsibility of the buyer and seller to carry out due diligence when conducting a transaction.

8. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 16, 2016

Great topic raised by Barking Mad. For me, I learn so much from the collective knowledge on this forum, which often comes about from people asking questions. Plus, I occasionally pick up a new word for my vocabulary, such as 'ructions'. Thanks Lillatroll :thumbsup:

lillatroll likes this.
  9. Paedipod Jan 16, 2016

Great thread, I started on OF to learn and enjoy something with people of common interest. As above, and as in what I do professionally, there are facts/data, and the interpretation of that information. The opinion given is worth exactly what you have bought it for.......

10. Davidt Jan 16, 2016

Guess I've missed something...

11. Paedipod Jan 16, 2016

me too.::book::

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 16, 2016

1600 posts and needs to ask about a springbar tool ;)

13. Davidt Jan 16, 2016

Haha gotcha.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  14. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 16, 2016

No. You did not. I wish I had.

15. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Jan 16, 2016

As a newbie, I will say I that I am amazed at the people on this forum that give so generously of their knowledge. It is appreciated. I also believe that when someone asks for an opinion, it is your responsibility to first ask yourself "am I qualified to give this person the information they need/want?" If the answer is no (which in my case is about 99% of the time) then I have an obligation to keep my mouth shut and let the more experienced folks chime in.
    I also think its the responsibility of the questioner to take the information they receive and then do what's right for them with it. After all, if you let a bunch of random folks from the internet make decisions for you, then you probably should sell your uncle's prototype watch and invest in a class in decision making (or therapy).

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2016

We actually do PM some of the guys that we see start doing this and in nearly all cases they get it and are fine with it.

What I really like is the fact that if there's something wrong with a stated view others will correct it, and it won't just stand as gospel, and that nearly all members don't take it the wrong way or get upset when they are corrected by someone with more experience. I think Archer has probably corrected me on a dozen or more things and I'm very glad that he does as its of value to me as much as to others.

What's really cool is there are guys with a specialty for just about everything, like Mac_omega on 30mms & Seamaster XVIs, Archer and other watchmakers on anything technical, speedy4eva on Moonwatches, LouS/Stewart and the Z-Fighters on Zenith and hundreds of others but everyone has their own specialty or area of interest, you just have to stick to and work on that over time and not try to be an authority on everything.

If you're not sure, then its fine to say so as a qualifier and admit that you're guessing based on limited experience before making your thoughts clear, and if someone with a lot of knowledge in that area comes along and corrects that, give their post a like and if you're not sure how they arrived at their conclusions, quote the post and ask them to explain it a little further so you and others can better understand.

17. ConElPueblo Jan 16, 2016

One issue I have is with people placing a 1:1 relationship between posts/likes and knowledge. Who knows how that person racked up those numbers - probably by posting an old Speedmaster or Constellation every day in "WRUW"! I have been told in another thread, that I was probably pretty knowledgeable about watch issues due to my "like" count - I was baffled by that statement, as I damn well know that I'm a small fish in these waters!

I try to only comment on issues I'm certain of, but on the other hand I am rather sceptical about the sort of immediate accept that I see of certain experts on here, who doesn't have to reference anything when they make a "redial/real" statement (or something of that sort), their reputation is apparently enough to give their statement validity.

lando, Davidt and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 16, 2016

Happy to help the 25% that just got their first Omega and need a point in the right direction. ( numbers on case back, don't sent to Omega straight off the bat, service and crystal only type stuff )

But your right @cristos71 a large percentage are $$ value

If I have researched and bought a piece at say $500 after looking at 30 watches to get to $500-600 is a good price and someone asks if a banged up piece is a good buy at $1200 I am going to say overpriced. I am not going to link 20 watches I got to my $500-600 good price as that is their research.

RawArcher likes this.
  19. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 16, 2016

Quite agree, and as recent Speedie auctions have shown, prices can inflate (and possibly deflate) due to quirks, bubbles in the market, unusual circumstances etc. However, I'd still prefer to see such opinions backed up by the sort of informed research you quoted (not the links, but the number of examples) above rather than a bald statement.

In the end, it's still a harsh world out there for the uninformed and possibly even more so for the misinformed :cool:

20. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Jan 16, 2016

As a newbie here, I was careful NOT to ask "What's it worth?" or "Should I buy it?" before buying my first Omega. The resources are there online, and in books (still), and some watchmakers are even willing to talk for maybe 10 seconds. This forum is a great learning resource. I'm all grown up, and an experienced vintage collector in other areas. So don't worry, I can take opinions here with the appropriate dosage of salt. ;)

Mouse_at_Large likes this.