Forums Latest Members
  1. pmontoyap Nov 4, 2011

First post so I should properly introduce myself. I'm an avid seamaster collector from south america. I have been collecting/trading for two years mostly any watch, modern or vintage, that caught my attention. My thing with the seamasters began when, after owning a DOA baby ploprof for about 6 months, one day it suddenly started running. I had tried everything (except taking it to a watchmaker, cause I dont know one I can trust just yet) and one day while giving it a little cleaning with a cloth it just started ticking with perfect timing. From that moment on its been hard to take the dang thing of my wrist! I have been really hooked on omega semasters since that very moment. I have been an avid reader of most other forums while looking for info and just happened to come across this forum today and really liked the overall vibe, it seems to be the definitive omega fan forum to me. I'm not much of a writing person but hopefully I can add my grain of sand here and there. and pick up a few as well :)

Anywho, the post is related to a very special seamaster of which apparently (to the best of my knowledge) only 3 are known to exist.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5257517

if you want to share your thoughts or knowledge on this particular piece I'd be delighted,

Have a nice one!

[​IMG]

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2011

I thought Denis' 14kt piepan Seamaster calendar was a rare duck, but this is even more unusual. I like the design though, looks very elegant on a strap.

3. Steve Nov 4, 2011

Very unusual, nice looking watch, thank you for sharing it with us. :thumbsup:

pmontoyap likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2011

That's one I've never seen before - not in pics nor in person. I knew they existed but that was it. Very cool! I would bet it sells for the higher end of that estimate.

5. pmontoyap Nov 4, 2011

Hi D, I have not seen the particular watch you are reffering too, but I was just reading about those here:

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2007/12/pie-pan-story-with-fairytale-ending.html

I think the seamaster with pulsations meter was a special order made by a small group of doctors from Venezuela. Or special ordered to be handed to them as present. From 1956-1958 the two most important clinics in the city were opened, coincidence I think not. Like the link from christies states that is were this watch was shipped too!

6. pmontoyap Nov 4, 2011

Just finding the link to that auction took me a few days...not kidding... had I not found it I'd still be completely blank on this matter. I would say it could sell for more than half of the price realized. Depends on who is buying it.

7. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2011

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2011

I absolutely love it when these things come out of the woodwork, that alone makes me so pleased we started this site. Its an interesting window into that time period that doctors were able to have a custom order piece relevant to them created by a manufacture like Omega, when these days they would simply be handed a TT Datejust and be done with it.

9. pmontoyap Nov 5, 2011

Awesome watch, I like the two tone dial with the date at 6 :thumbsup:...I thought the term grand deluxe was reserved for the case with hooded lugs. Regardless of the stepped dial.

Just a guess but makes a bit of sense. I was trying to track down a spanish guy who sold one to japan, but with no luck yet (that would be the second one I know off)..Hope to get some more info from this guy :thumbsdown: If he can confirm the country of origin it would be of great help =)

Thank you all for your input. Will post more info as soon as it comes

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 7, 2011

Wow! I know that dial is pretty rare, but the way I see it, that's a $1K Seamaster in mint condition with a $12K+ dial.

If the provenance shows that it was owned or ordered by a famous doctor, then that's another story.

Dennis's cal. 353 Seamaster Grand Luxe with 18K pie-pan dial, is, to the best of my knowledge, unique.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

11. pmontoyap Nov 7, 2011

Hi gator! Indeed, that's the way i see it too. That's because scarsity is the main factor for prices, as it has always been. It would be like saying that you pay $5000 for a top condition stepped dial constelaltion for $1200 worth of gold. You are paying the rarity of the dial, not the gold!

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 8, 2011

Scarcity is certainly a major factor, but in my opinion, that price was absurdly high. While I realize such a dial is rare and should command a substantial premium, that one seems beyond reason. I have seen medical Omega dials before. There likely was a wealthy doctor out there who really wanted that particular watch.

There may be another reason for the price other than the dial that is not clear from the auction description.

Case in point...there was a recent auction for a 14K Hamilton watch presented to Lou Gehrig, one of the best baseball players of all time, for winning the 1928 World Series championship . This model, while very popular with collectors, is by no means rare. A regular Hamilton Piping Rock may be purchased for around $2,000. This particular watch sold for over $150K.

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/hamilton-watch-forum/52158-2.htm

Inside the above thread, I posted a link to another gold Hamilton watch, presented to Al Simmons, another Hall of Fame baseball player, for winning the 1929 World Series. That one sold for only $2,100.

Provenance almost always trumps rarity,
    gatorcpa

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

b