Forums Latest Members
  1. ulackfocus Feb 1, 2013

Yes, we did a thread on "Favorite under $1000" before, but this time it's no holds barred:

What is, in your view, the BEST vintage Omega?

You can base it on rarity, value, appearance, fit on your wrist..... whatever your qualifications are.

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

My personal favorite would be a mint speedmaster 2915-1
    Lots of other candidates including platinum grand luxe constellation, seamaster neptune cloissone, and others.

3. ulackfocus Feb 1, 2013

My two are a bit simpler. It took me flipping one to realize it, and checking out THOUSANDS of the other to be sure.

Centenary reference 2500:

[​IMG]

Besides it fitting like it was custom made for me, it's got some of my favorite characteristics - gold two tone dial being the top of the list followed by a low profile. Mating it with one of Kelaran's like-buttah gator straps turns it into quite possibly my favorite vintage watch to wear of my collection.

[​IMG]

Constellation reference 2799:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gee, another two tone gold dial - whoda thunk it? This watch is IMO the quintessential Connie. Yes, there are more rare models. And yes, there are more valuable versions of the same case (Cloissone, stepped dial). But this one has all the textbook features I wanted. It took me years of sorting through pie pan listings (for myself and other members), buyng and flipping, and even a tremendous beginner's mistake that would make most people nauseous, to find out what my favorite is. Besides, who doesn't dig caseback medallions?

alam, astrosfan and Ted Shred like this.
  4. astrosfan Feb 1, 2013

My choice is somewhat obvious & predictable, but it has to be the Speedmaster:

[​IMG]

5. alam Feb 1, 2013

Nice pair my friend. Caseback medallions like that one make my knees feel weak... ;)

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

For me it would be a 2499, a really nice 30T2RG or a 2799 like the one Dennis has.

7. 124watchfan Feb 1, 2013

30t2rg. As good as it gets.

[​IMG]

NT931 likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

Is that an original example or a re-issue?

9. 124watchfan Feb 1, 2013

Yes a real original example. Not mine sadly. Pic shamelessy borrowed. The reissue watches were done with caliber 269, a subsecond 30mm caliber.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

Later issue dial in the correct vintage case and movement but a high quality printing. A boxful of these were sold at a berlin watch fair several years ago but their origins are unknown afaik. The watches with these dials though are still sought after and are almost as uncommon as the watches with the original scientific dials and command an accordingly high price.

11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 1, 2013

berlin had only a few; the munich watchfair saw most of these ......they came from the biggest dealer in israel. kind regards. achim

12. apollo XI Feb 2, 2013

My favourite, just a dream, is the first "Tourbillon" by Omega.
    After: 1) seamaster neptune cloissone;
    2) Speedmaster 2915;
    3) a 30T2RG chronometer;
    4) Constellation grand luxe;
    5) first Seamaster certified chronometer with "second" at "6".

Obviously all in perfect condition and with their box & papers :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: .......:) :) :)

I know, just a dream.

Giuseppe.

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 2, 2013

Achim,
    Do you have an idea of how many of these were sold and where that dealer found them?

14. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 2, 2013

Later issue dial in the correct vintage case and movement but a high quality printing. A boxful of these were sold at a berlin watch fair several years ago
    Boxful? Of dials or complete watches?
    What is the distinguishing characteristic that tells you it's one of the
    "Berlin" or "Munich" dials?.
    When you say "later issue dial", do you mean by Omega for replacement?
    Or By a forger?

Thanks
    John

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 2, 2013

I misstyped - I meant Munich watch fair.
    The origins of these dials is unclear - they are a later production, probably not by omega, but executed to a high standard. Unclear how many were made overall but they are sought after still and watches that have it sell for almost as much as the real deal.

16. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 2, 2013

What is the distinguishing characteristic that tells you it's one of the
    "Munich" dials?, vs. the Omega issue?

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 2, 2013

Lots of small things but main thing is that the roman numerals on the dial went beyond the borders of the ring around it in the originals and did not in the munich dials. Of course there's the issue of patina - the originals almost always have some of it in fact can't remember seeing one of the original dials without any patina at all.

18. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 2, 2013

So this one is original Omega:?

(11).jpg (7).jpg

And is this a "Munich" Dail?

rx2786.jpg

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 2, 2013

yes. but the munich dials I have seen are nicer than the 2nd watch you showed here. the first one is original.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 2, 2013

Loved this one - serviced it and it was a family piece so no chance to offer to buy it from the owner...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

apollo XI and kyle L like this.