Forums Latest Members
  1. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jun 19, 2015

Ok guys and esteemed ladies on this forum I'm not trying to go over old ground or decide the best watch in anyone's eyes I'm after an honest answer. My daily beater needs some pretty extensive surgery so I've dropped back onto a Casio g shock. Now for most people these are great daily drivers and all that but in my line of work they are plastic pieces of shite. The plastic case marks easily and the crystal damages very easily. My old beater was a seiko kinetic with sapphire crystal and a brushed stainless steel case. In the eighteen years I've worn it the only degredation has been the case has developed a shine but the crystal is flawless. Apart from regular servicing all was fine until a couple of lug holes have been damaged. (Lug holes in Yorkshire speak actually means ears but that's another story)
    Do I "A" find another suitable beater to abuse or take an existing watch to destroy? My first thoughts were another Seiko due to price and availability or do I go high end knowing after I've finished with it it's going to be worthless?
    I work in a garage where it's subject to paint overspray (not a problem with sapphire crystal) and various knocks and bruises (shiny polished cases become tarnished and scratched) oh and it needs to be waterproof because I get my hands wet constantly.
    So it doesn't matter about the branding I want a rough tough watch that takes a beating but doesn't look battered after a good days work. Do I go second hand omega and make it a junker or choose cheap but wisely, I'm open to ideas here because G shocks just don't cut it in my line of work.

noelekal and persco like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 19, 2015

rhetoric and NT931 like this.
  3. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jun 19, 2015

Pretty hard to beat a Seiko SKX007. Waterproof, 150 bucks new.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 19, 2015

Couldn't agree more, if you also go quartz you never have to worry about keeping it wound.

Here's an auto. Good legible dial, stainless, bracelet, beater.

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 9.21.20 am.png

5. ulackfocus Jun 19, 2015

This post is the same advice I would give.

davidswiss likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 19, 2015

You can even go one step up and try the

Seiko Prospex Diver 6R15

But Seiko is the beater of choice.

7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 19, 2015

The difficult part about Seikos is that they last so damn long without any kind of care that its hard to come up with a viable excuse for replacing the damn things. My Seiko automatic is now 37 years old and it does need a service..... but the stupid thing is still worth it!

Tritium and Mad Dog like this.
  8. persco Jun 19, 2015

It's hard to beat the value and quality of Seiko. If I needed a mechanical beater watch, it'd be a refurbished 6309-7040 or a brand new SKX007. Hell, I'll probably get both at some point. I own a MM300 (SBDX001) and it's just amazing, but a little pricey for a beater (though it could easily take a few beatings...)

Mad Dog likes this.
  9. Difeer Jun 19, 2015

+1

For something higher end, you can try a SBDC007. The titanium case will probably endure most beatings.

10. chickenman26 Jun 19, 2015

Sounds to me like you're more worried about what your buddies think than you should be. Buy a cheap watch, any one you like. And since you work where the hits just keep on coming, make it quartz. At the end of the day, observe the following routine.
    1. Wash up and change clothes.
    2. Remove beater, place new Speedmaster on wrist.
    3. Drive to bar where your buds gather after work.
    4. Expect to hear no one saying your watch is shiite.

KstateSkier likes this.
  11. trama Jun 20, 2015

Agree on Seikos. Marathon makes a few tough looking models, both ETA Quartz and autos avail. I've had good results with a cheap Ollech and Weiss diver, has an ETA 2824-2 banging away quite loudly in it.

12. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jun 20, 2015

To be honest I don't give a flying toss what my peers think of me. At work I dress like a tramp because i get real dirty and my watch also does too. The seiko in the picture was just too perfect with its sapphire crystal and brushed case, hardly a mark on it. The Casio though shows every mark and is starting to look like a tramp has thrown it away.
    The seikos mentioned all have the hardlex crystal and I tried a skx007 last year the crystals aren't brilliant. The g shock is a little hard to read with my old eyes and the analogue versions are huge, plus they will show up every little mark.
    So let me clarify what I want. It has to be super tough with a sapphire crystal, brushed case and easily legible that never shows any marks. Just like my trusty seiko with knackered lug holes.
    I've nearly pulled the trigger on several seikos this last week but none would live up to my expectations. I do have a third gen omega dynamic that ticks all the boxes but is in mint condition so that's a no go. Maybe a battered dynamic might be more suitable?[​IMG]

13. Audley Yung Jun 20, 2015

I'd say Timex on a nato or leather strap makes a good beater.

14. Northernman Lemaniac Jun 20, 2015

Event horizon likes this.
  15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 20, 2015

I use an SMPc as a better. Set it on rubber or Nato when beach traveling both for comfort and to make it a little less conspicuous

Event horizon likes this.
  16. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jun 20, 2015

Actually it does have a battery of sorts, or capacitor to be exact. I nearly pulled the trigger on one of these last night but the hardlex crystal bugs me. We are thinking along the same lines though.

17. Difeer Jun 20, 2015

You can get aftermarket sapphire crystal if you want.

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 20, 2015

Get a few, they're not hard to change out (if done the @Archer way, not this way).

Keep your watch looking NOS forever.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 20, 2015

Ok give us a price limit to work with as its starting to look like you
    need a old TAG HEUER.

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 20, 2015

:eek:

Go and wash your mouth out right now you naughty little boy!

:whipped:

Northernman, Difeer and persco like this.