Forums Latest Members

The Other El Primero Movement

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 30, 2013

Okay,
    I must confess my sin of hijacking this sub forum. But really I like your judgement Zenith guys.......
    So please enlighten this 'newbie to anything outside Omega realm' on this watch:
    Tag Heuer Monza Calibre 36, El Primero movement
    What is the level of desirability and collectability they are?
    What is the market valuefor the watch only? Thanks

Monza front LR.jpg

Monza back LR.jpg

Thanks guys.......

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 30, 2013

PD7, the Primero has been used by a large variety of other watch brands, some more distinguished than others. A few years ago, a bunch of us came up with a list:

Boucheron - in white gold, with cal 400Z branded "Boucheron El Primero" on rotor
    Concord - ( ? - 2002) Impresario - cal. 411 (without moonphase)
    Dior Chiffre Rouge
    DuBois & Fils - Zenith cal 410 in model "Montre 1812"
    Dunhill - cal. 410
    Ebel - Calibre 134 (approx 1984-1994?)
    Ekegren Genève - 3019 PHF
    Louis Vuitton - Tambour LV277
    Movado - Datron HS 360 (1969 - 1974)
    Panerai - Calibre OP IV (2000-2003) in PAM 72
    Parmigiani -
    Rolex - Rolex 4030 (1984 - 2000) for Rolex Cosmograph Daytona (cal. 400 slowed down to 28000VPH and without date)
    Daniel Roth -
    Kurth Schaffo ("Chrono d'Oro")
    TAGHeuer - Calibre 36 ( ? - present), in Grand Carrera, Link, Monza
    Tourneau - yellow gold - cal. 3019 PHF
    Ulysse Nardin (UN cal. 10 based on cal. 400), 50 pieces in yellow gold, made in 1980's
    Urban Jurgenssen Copenhagen (3019 PHF)
    Van Ree Watches - DNA watch (El Primero 400)
    Waldan International - (current, uses vintage movements purchased in 1980) Astronic Chronograph

whether any of these are regarded as collectible is up to the individual. My interest extends to the Movado versions as they are contemporaneous with the originals. There is rationale for including a few of the others as historically important (e.g. Waldan, Ebel), and of course TAGHeuer enthusiasts are delighted to see the brand use a world class engine, particularly this year, as TAGHeuer has introduced Primero-powered Carreras. I can say that there is no terribly well developed market or community for any of the modern (post 1984) applications of Primero, the dumbed-down Rolex version excepted.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 30, 2013

Very comprehensive and illuminating explanation. I think I would aim for the original vintage Zenith, rather than this derivatives. Thanks Lou......