Forums Latest Members

The ONLY thing that bugs me about the SMP300 8400:

1. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 23, 2015

The caseback. I absolutely love the design having a heavy emphasis on the 1957 Seamaster, but the caseback irritates me slightly. Why?

It doesn't match the design. The dial, case, and bracelet are all beautiful and simplistic, and they very nicely pay homage the 1957 Seamaster. Seriously, I am crazy about this design. BUT, the caseback is way too busy. The sapphire display back is great, and I am not opposed to it – I don't like all the text that surrounds the sapphire. It's covered in stuff, and it just makes it look too busy. "300m/1000ft", "Seamaster 300", "LIQUIDMETAL Technologies", "> 15'000 Gausse", "Anti-Magnetic", and "Si14" all obnoxiously surround the metal around the sapphire crystal.

I am not opposed to this stuff being on the back, but perhaps it could be more conservative and not quite as distracting. For instance, the "LIQUIDMETAL Technologies" is extremely obnoxious and looks like it belongs as the logo to some sort of new Nerf gun at Target. If the text on the caseback was smaller and a more conservative font and not colored black, but simply just engraved, I think it would fit much better with the overall simplistic feel of the timepiece.

Maybe I'm letting this irritate me too much, but does anyone else feel the same way?

I'm not saying wouldn't buy this watch – I totally would. But I would also look into getting a custom caseback without all the obnoxious advertising.

2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 23, 2015

I can't see any of that text while it is on my wrist.

ffej4 likes this.
  3. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 23, 2015

That's fair! :) It would bug me though, because I know it's still there! ::puke::

4. proximal Feb 24, 2015

At least it's on the back and not on the front as is so popular nowadays.

5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 24, 2015

I guess I understand. I can find little things that bug me about just about every watch I've ever loved from any brand if I look hard enough. But I've made an effort in recent years to not sweat the small stuff. Now I just remind myself that something like that can only bug me if I let it.

I now think it is almost comical how worked up folks like us on the forums get over a couple millimeters, an extra word on a dial, or other such minutiae. People set such hard and fast rules for themselves over watches (no watch over xx mm, no display back, no polished links, etc) that they end up ruling out a lot of otherwise fantastic watches for really minor things that a normal person would never notice.

6. ctime3 Feb 24, 2015

I agree 100% with Andy K

ffej4 likes this.
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2015

+1

ffej4 likes this.
  8. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 24, 2015

I totally agree. If there's one tiny thing that bugs someone, why not try to customize it? I.e. brush the polished links, put on a custom caseback, etc. I think if I'm ever able to save up and get the new SMP 300, I very well may invest in a different caseback. That way, the watch is more personalized and the little thing that bugged me will no longer bug me :thumbsup:

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2015

or....if you hang around here enough you'll end up getting an actual smp300 vintage original watch that will not only look the part, but is the actual original and will maintain or increase in value.

ffej4 likes this.
  10. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 24, 2015

Now that... That would be awesome. I need to graduate ad save about $8k first, though! :(

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2015

well then you have the other side of the spectrum. the Watch co offer that is posted in a different thread for Forum Members. you can't beat that price for that watch. different deal though but much more $ conscious

ffej4 and OmegaRookie like this.
  12. base615 Feb 24, 2015

It's the size of it that annoys me. Why they couldn't have made it a similar lug to lug size to the vintage I will never know.

dougiedude and ffej4 like this.
  13. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Feb 24, 2015

Sounds to me like you need some time away from it all. I mean getting all worked up and everything. Take a chill pill ::rant::)

14. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 24, 2015

I suppose, but that's an expensive mod (custom caseback) that will void a 4 year warranty, all to eliminate a tiny bit of wording that you won't see while you're wearing it. It's cheaper to just talk yourself into not letting it bug you.

ffej4 likes this.
  15. ctpete Feb 24, 2015

Just too much info. Manufacturers have a tendency to want to put ALL the watch's features on the watch's surfaces. It's just not what the consumer wants.

ffej4 likes this.
  16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 24, 2015

+1

I tried one on a few months ago in the Atlanta Boutique, thinking I might get one, but it was too 'chunky' for me. I didn't even pay attention to the engravings on the back, cuz I was just trying to get over the 'heft'.

This thread needs photos! :mad: (maybe I'll find one...)

Edit:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Edited Feb 24, 2015
    ffej4 likes this.
  17. OmegaRookie Feb 24, 2015

Gorgeous watch. Can't wait for mine to show up.

ffej4 likes this.
  18. yinzerniner Feb 27, 2015

I still think the color and finish of the creamy markers is a bit off, but everything else is perfect.

19. OmegaRookie Feb 27, 2015

Mine showed up! It's beautiful! Now it's decision time every morning. image.jpg

Nobel Prize and ffej4 like this.
  20. yinzerniner Feb 27, 2015

Gorgeous. Really like the bracelet on the SMP300

ffej4 and OmegaRookie like this.