Forums Latest Members

The Omega Tower Clock in a remote village in Greece - The Story Continues

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 21, 2016

As most of you may have seen, ΩF played a very small part in assisting @489G (Adonis) in his research of an interesting tower clock in a small Greek village, as played out here.

Some further information regarding the clock, and the people involved in it through the ages, has been presented by Adonis and of even greater interest is the fact that the clock is to be restored. Details are as follows (from Adonis).

An interesting news on the Nymfaion clock just recently in: the grandchild of Jean Nicou (Jean Nicou was the person who donated the school and clock to Nymfaion in 1928), gave a gift of 5,000 EUR for the campaign to save the clock of Nymfaion, after reading the Chronometrophilia article (the projected cost for restoring the clock is approx. 30,000 EUR and includes getting two autowinders for both trains, a GPS synchroniser, and bringing the clock back to working condition--this will necessitate taking the clock apart, moving it to the UK to repair the frame back to it's original state and re-assembling it on-site in Greece) Chronometrophilia shared the story with it's 400 members and emailed this to everyone (you can do too, to people/organisations you know, if you think someone can help!):

Dear Chronométrophilia members, allow a message in English

Some news about the article

THE CURIOUS STORY OF A SWISS TOWER CLOCK IN A REMOTE GREEK MOUNTAIN VILLAGE

which appeared in the December issue of Chronométrophilia

On 06/12/2016 at 11:01, Andonis wrote:

I am happy ho report that the Chronométrophilia article yielded its first concrete result.

This is the mail I got today from the grand-child of Jean Nicou, the person who built the Nikeios School, after I send him the article:

First, what a fantastic work you have done. It is interesting to read the story and I believe my grandfather is happy that the clock soon will show the right time for the villagers.

Second, I want to be part of the restoration with 5.000 EUR

Then our author and new member Andonis suggests* that if any of the Chronométrophilia members or friends is interested to find out more about the campaign to save the swiss clock of Nymfaion or wishes to contribute to the effort (by either directly donating or helping to make this known to a wider audience) he/she can contact the co-author Andonis in Greece, at [email protected]

Funds have now been secured to arrange for a visit of clock experts on site to assess the situation, and the Swiss Embassy in Athens as well as major news outlets in Greece are involved in the restoration project.

PS: Even small donations from international donors would signify that the interest is not just local and that an article can bring forth real change, in the real world. Bank details follow for donors wishing to make a contribution (Ms Maria Didaskalou is the President of the Association of Nymphaiotes):

National Bank of Greece

IBAN: GR1501108310000083174448692

BIC/SWIFT: ETHNGRAA

Account holder/Beneficiary: MARIA DIDASKALOU

Please specify: "Swiss Clock Campaign"

* Everybody must feel free, Chronométrophilia is forwarding Andonis'demand in consideration of the difficult economic situation of Greece.

Meilleures salutations - Kindest regards - Freundliche Gruesse

chronométrophilia

Association suisse des amateurs d'horlogerie

Schweizerische Vereinigung der Uhrenfreunde

Swiss Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

Michel Viredaz

Vice-president, redacteur du bulletin, webmaster

Chemin du Raidillon 48

CH-1066 Epalinges

+41 21 784 05 38

[email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected]

www.chronometrophilia.ch

Riviera Paradise and Foo2rama like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 21, 2016

So that's where the clock is at the moment, severely in need of funds, so if you can spare a few Dollars/Euros/Pounds etc it would be a great gesture from our forum members. Just follow the payment details in the message above.

I'll now try to put the follow-on story written by Adonis into a location where you can all read it.

More to follow.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 21, 2016

ahartfie likes this.
  4. Bumper Dec 21, 2016

Does this turn the clock into a a Nymfa-matic? What are the citizens of the town called? ::bleh::

JimInOz likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 21, 2016

:whipped:

Now go straight to your room and don't come out until dinner time.

6. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 21, 2016

I am impressed by the Jean Nicou grandchilds donation of 5000 Euro. If it is who I think it is - he has the means. That, my last remark, should however not in anyway detract from the fact that he is willing to donate. The means to do it and the willingness to do so is not allways connected. 5000 Euro is a lot of money and I applaud him.

It makes me proud to be his countryman and I will make a donation of my own - just because of that. A considerably smaller sum - more in line with my means.

ahartfie and Bumper like this.
  7. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Dec 21, 2016

International wire fees from my bank here in the States are ludicrous. Any hope of getting a PayPal account set up?

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 21, 2016

I'll find out, will advise.

ahartfie likes this.