Forums Latest Members

The Omega Seamaster Olympia 1994 (quartz Edition)

1. Artistmike Apr 22, 2013

Hi all ....In my post in the Introduction Thread today I made reference to a Seamaster that I own and was asked to expand a bit more on it a bit more so here goes, my first post ....

The watch in question is this one shown below, my Omega Seamaster Olympia (quartz) which dates from 1994. There is some information on the Internet about it, some of which is incorrect but I'll try to give the facts I know.

As we know, Omega has often been associated with the timing for the Olympics but in the Winter Olympics of 1994 in Lillehammer, Omega was not given this contract but it was given to Seiko.

Not to be outdone, Omega became an official equipment provider for the Swiss Olympic Team and provided watches specifically designed for the games. In fact to showcase the brand, different versions were produced, one an Automatic Chronometer version in both mid size and full size in stainless steel ( Caliber number: 1109) and my one, the Quartz version in both sizes and stainless steel too ( Calibre number 1438), mine being the full size. ...There was also a solid gold version of the automatic chronometer caliber.

Production numbers for the solid gold version was a total of 49 whilst the Chronometer versions were limited to 194 each. I have seen something on the Internet to the effect that the Quartz version wasn't a Limited Edition but as you'll clearly see from the photo of the caseback of mine it states it is and no-one in the collector's world that I know of has seen one higher than 188, so I'm assuming there's 194 of these around too. .... Now when we consider the normal sort of production runs of Limited Editions by Omega, we can see at only 194 of each standard version, this Olympia is truly really “Rare”. Though why they chose a 300meter diver for a skiing watch, only the gnomes of Bienne know !:taunt:

As to this quartz version itself, those who know their calibers will realise that this is the same six jewelled 1438 version that is seen in the pre-'Bond' Seamasters but placed in the full sized case of the 'Bond' automatic Seamaster, there's photos below of the movement and case comparison.

I bought my watch without the bits and pieces they were issued with but in almost 100% condition. When initially sold they came in a case with five nice leather straps, each one a colour of one of the Olympic Rings, blue, yellow, black, green and red.

By the way, the watches are described in “Omega a Journey Through Time “ on page 345 entitled “The 'Olympia' Seamasters 1994" .. ... so that's about it, the photos below should show you what one looks like and as you can see the dial has both the Swiss Flag and Olympic rings subtly shown under the 'Seamaster' logo... also I've shown an Omega advert from the time that shows the watch. Any questions, just shout ! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tet, ericmtl, fskywalker and 8 others like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 22, 2013

Very cool, I love how they did it almost in protest to Seiko being the official timer of the 1994 games. Yours has a really nice patina to the dial too, even though its a Quartz its certainly a keeper! Thanks for the pics as well as the detailed background.

BTW do you have the reference numbers for them by any chance?

fskywalker likes this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 22, 2013

Nice historical watch.......:thumbsup:

fskywalker likes this.
  4. Artistmike Apr 23, 2013

I do, the automatic version is a 2832.21 and the quartz is 2842.21 whilst the gold is a 2631.21.... funnily enough the automatic shows up in the Omega Database at http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=15272 but as usual with the Database, it's not always complete and I've not been able to find the gold or quartz version in there. .. In the old days I would have dropped an e-mail to John Diethelm at the Museum but those days have sadly gone...

fskywalker likes this.
  5. tyrantlizardrex Aug 11, 2016

Googled these from the fresh Olympic watches thread... And found my way back to OF... Everything useful IS here. :cool:

6. BlueBoy Aug 11, 2016

Excellent watch, and article, so nice to see and hear about a this interesting piece.. Thanks

7. Huus Aug 11, 2016

There's three watches of this limited edition run up for sale on Chrono24 at the moment.

8. tyrantlizardrex Aug 11, 2016

I'm not sure I'd pay what any of those vendors is asking...

fskywalker and BlueBoy like this.
  9. Huus Aug 11, 2016

Surprised to see three for sale of a limited edition of such small numbers. Prices are indeed steep but that won't stop some.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 11, 2016

Your first post?
    (Well, second actually)

:thumbsup:

Nice write up (writeup, write-up?) and excellent pictures to support your contribution.
    I think you've nailed a great combo there.
    A daily wearer automatic that will keep ticking when you don the Olympic for the odd day or two.

I know that quartz watches are sometimes derided by the WIS community (and one member in particular) but I have one or two (or three or four or five or six......) and I find them no less appealing than some of my mechanicals.

Cheers

Jim

11. tyrantlizardrex Aug 11, 2016

From 2013... ;)

Resurrected this one having seen the 1994 Olympic in the other Olympic thread. :D

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 11, 2016

Pffft.

Time is relatively unimportant to me young man, a thread from 2013 means no more to me than one fresh into the fray, unless comment is warranted. And in this case, I thought it was.

Even though I have many radiocarpal joint borne mechanical horological devices to adorn my antebrachial region, the only "time" I march to now is:

Breakfast Time
    or
    Coffee Time
    or
    Lunch Time
    or
    Drink Time
    or
    Dinner Time
    or
    Drink Time
    or
    Supper Time
    or
    Nightcap Time

Oh, it's nearly Supper Time here, must be off old chap.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  13. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 11, 2016

I believe this is the full set you referred to although Mickey's is the automatic version.
    I posted this on another thread to no avail.
    Mickey's Omega 003.jpg

14. tyrantlizardrex Aug 11, 2016

Love that. :)

MikiJ likes this.
  15. Perseus Aug 11, 2016

Wow that's unique!

16. fskywalker Dec 9, 2018

Here’s my full size chronometer version, 2832.21, numbered 9 of 194

EF5405DB-F2A7-405F-A453-A875874C964E.jpeg

Edited Dec 23, 2018
  17. ericmtl Apr 4, 2019

Anyone has a picture of the 18k version by any chance ? never even saw a picture , read about it in AJTT.

fskywalker likes this.
  18. ericmtl Sep 26, 2020

Hi sorry to bring this up does anyone know where an actual picture of either model 2631.21 or ref.no. 2651.21 could be found , it was the 18k models they were limited to 49 copies.

19. ericmtl May 16, 2022

Artistmike likes this.