Forums Latest Members
  1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 17, 2013

I must confess when I started collecting vintage omegas about 5-6 years ago, I had no love for the ploprof. I thought to myself that I would never own one. Well, things have changed since I saw the re-edition about 2 years ago in the NYC Omega Boutique. That watch in my mind is the best re-edition piece omega made - very faithful to the original version yet updated in every important way including the use of the very accurate co-axial cal. 8500 movement. I have now come full circle and have both the vintage and the modern versions in the collection and enjoy both of them very much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deldog, dualdo, Spy and 6 others like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 17, 2013

Nice pair.
    Yes you're right, I say that a lot :D

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 17, 2013

I think I am about 5 ,6 years younger than you, Mike. ;)

4. pascs May 17, 2013

Nice to have those 2 in your collection.

I'd like to try one on to see how it looked as I have big wrists but the shape isnt my favourite, I do like the 70's 1000m diver with its similar dial but very different case shape

Spy likes this.
  5. ulackfocus May 17, 2013

This is one of the rare instances I like the modern version more than the original.

6. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage May 17, 2013

I have tried on the new one, they are super comfortable and the mesh bracelet is a work of art in itself with more features than you can poke a stick at. It is one of those rare instances where great design has produced both form and function.

Me too. Do you dive? I'd love to know how they perform in their natural element. If not I'd be happy to take it down to 30m or so and give you a full report :p

7. Melhadary May 17, 2013

Nice.... Beautiful evolution!
    Hoping to see the day when we see a 1st generation SM 300 or SM Calendar Date at 6 re-issue that is so quintessentially similar in spirit and looks to the original!

8. ulackfocus May 17, 2013

I'd certainly allow you to use it - it's not my watch. ;) :p

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 18, 2013

I know what you mean regarding the bracelet, this watch looks like it would be a bit of a bull in a china shop, but when you try the 1200M version on, with its remarkably forgiving mesh bracelet, and extremely adjustable clasp, the fit and weight balance is perfect such that its hard to imagine you're actually wearing a 47mm watch.

Very nice pair Mike, you're always full of surprises lol

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 18, 2013

One just sold at the Watches of Knightsbridge auction for £3,500 (hammer price) +21.6% commission - including VAT on the commission.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 18, 2013

Yes that one was nice. A vintage ploprof also recently sold at Antiquorum for $7125 total. I like the one I have since it is a one owner watch that has never been serviced so all the parts are original to the watch - this I think is the biggest challenge when finding a nice vintage ploprof.

12. Nick F 05 May 19, 2013

Those are nice looking

13. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 21, 2013

Hi MSN, beautiful beast :thumbsup: though the dial might be a later replacement part, due to different colour of the indexes?
    Mine got also the new dial, as the old one showed this very typica bubbleing due to little leaking when it was in a professional use.
    I got mine from a Royal Navy diver who used it through his working life in the belt and elsewhere. This makes it very special to me. As the sealings get nasty over the year and stick like hell, I got the whole watch serviced at Omega. It is now my favourit holiday watch as all the old Speedys are not fully water resistant any more. Of course I kept all the old parts :cool:

How it looks before:
    [​IMG]

and now:
    [​IMG]

Deldog, NiklasARvid and Privateday7 like this.
  14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 21, 2013

Handsome watch Base1000. Ploprof has character like no other watch can match.
    BTW is that true the vintage ploprof movement is Caliber 1002? How reliable they are?
    Seems many watchmaker hates caliber 1001/1002

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 21, 2013

The dial issue is something that did cross my mind though it is a vintage dial and the seller is a master diver who I have no reason to doubt when he tells me that the watch has never been serviced, polished or even opened. It has that look to me as well including the original mineral crystal with all its scratches. The former owner has kindly agreed to work on a detailed history of the watch which he will send to me at a later date. I have a replacement sapphire crystal from omega for this one but have elected to keep it on the side and leave the watch as is.

16. pitpro Likes the game. May 21, 2013

Nice, but I like it with the older dial in there. :thumbsup:

17. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 22, 2013

yeah, of course it is nicer. With the Speedies I would never do something similar but the Plo I really want as a toolwatch and for this I need 100% water resistance and good visible dial and hands at night :)