The old man and the sea (-master)

I have been into wooden boats all my life. I was born into it - as my maternal grandfather was a boatbuilder of some (good) repute - locally. I spent a lot of time with him when I was young. I was restoring vintage wooden boats for myself between the age of 20 and 50. I sold my "last one", a 1929 Chris Craft 22ft runabout, about 10 years ago and it was actually supposed to be the last wooden boat.

Then this little thing came along last fall. It is only 14ft and here in Sweden they are called "jaktkanot". A direct interpretation would be "hunting canoe". The canoe part being misleading as they are not paddled but rowed using oars. They are small traditional hunting- and fishing boats over here. They were built very fast and simple - using cheap materials. Utility boats in coastal/sea archipelago’s. First they used oars only, then some started sailing them with spritsails and finally small engines were fitted. A jaktkanot is very seaworthy for its size. Anyone versed in boats can see that.

This is a jaktkanot. With a twist. It is built "all in"! Oak for the structure and garboards, the absolute best pinewood for the hull and mahogany for the deck and interior. A4 stainless and copper for fasteners. It is a crazy build! It has the oars of course, a spritsail rig and a small Honda 4-stroke engine. It has it all. And it is not vintage... It was built in 2018!

So here I am - the old man and the sea. Fishing in a "new vintage" boat.

I spent some time restoring it this winter, as previous owners had not fully done what is needed every year, and it has been a wonderful task. It is such a small boat and not tiresome at all, compared to what I have done earlier with boats.

It met the sea about two weeks ago and I have not rigged it yet or started the engine. Just using the oars. Having a wonderful vacation together with my wife and my 92 year old mother - in the outer archipelago - at the place she was born and where her father built his boats.

Putting in some serious rowing every second day - out at sea. I can do an hour at a fast pace - and/but then I am wasted. But I still go out for more after a days rest. It is the most fun I have had in a boat since I was a kid. Back to basics.

Long rant. Here it is. And a Seamaster.

Any other wooden boat lovers out there?

53820543435_9624e16384_k.jpg

53820102091_dae4b001c8_k.jpg

53820347963_6f6e88f22f_k.jpg

Spliced some (taught by grandfather when I was a kid)

53820543445_d33265bd18_k.jpg

Out at sea

53819181682_c31525d464_k.jpg

53820101811_8eacccd195_k.jpg

53819181617_1d7870d569_k.jpg

I also (Sea-) Dwell on things during late summer evenings...

53820353528_c37cd5cf44_h.jpg

Like 46
And a lovely storyline, too. Thanks for sharing your summer.

Like 1
Holy smokes, that boat is something.

I've canoed off and on most of my life and I really admire boats like the one you've pictured, but I've (regrettably) never owned a wooden boat.

Like 1
Thanks for sharing this ! Your boat is very beautiful and your story inspiring !
Enjoy

Like 1
Very pleased to read that the boat, which needed some love and attention, has found its way to you for some proper care

Like 1
That's fantastic. Sublime. Incredible work.

what was the restoration like? Anything replaced? The finish looks beautiful.

I built a wooden strip canoe, but it didn't have ribs. Fiberglass and West system epoxy over cedar strips. It was 15 feet with a shallow vee keel and wasxa fantastic single paddler, good for lakes and even rapids. It was christened in the Boundary Waters Wilderness Canoe Area in northern Minnesota. (An interesting tidbit is the border between USA and Canada along nortern Minnesota is the old Voyaguers fur trappers route. I love that canoeing is engraved into our border.) I was a canoe outfitter one summer up there. Great canoeing, lake to lake with short portages. Mosquitoes are horrible though in the Spring.

There's a wooden boat museum in Seattle that restores boats and has classes. My brother lives up there and I have visited the shop but haven't been involved with a build. Your build is making my heart race thinking about it.

Dude, I am seriously jealous. Good on you and your family. 92 year mom on vacation. Fantastic.

Damn, that's a nice boat!

Like 3
Thank you all for your kind words!

snip...

what was the restoration like? Anything replaced? The finish looks beautiful.

...snip...

The boat was in good condition as it was built as late as in 2018. But as with many new things they do get old quick if one does not maintain them - and the finish on wooden boats deteriorate extremely fast if not doing what you are supposed to do - every year (and/or have it covered from the sun). The varnish has to be fresh and supple/flexible to cope with the moving of the wood. Once water gets in under the varnish there is a fast downslope... This boat did not get anything done to its finish since it was new - and when new it had too little varnish to begin with.

My restoration, if one could call it that, was just starting over with the varnish and overall finish. Much of the varnish was still intact and where it was not - I could build up layers to get it up to even. Then all of it got three full coats (with sanding inbetween). The finish on the hull needed attention and I took the opportunity to change the colour. Nothing dramatic - but going from white to a warmer looking ivory felt important to me. Under water body got two layers of much needed antifouling paint.

53750099950_a43d4ef027_h.jpg

53822357000_324ff47e02_h.jpg

53822163483_4e551a0b59_h.jpg

53806179637_7a929e4ce3_h.jpg

53807441984_ff0876425b_h.jpg

It also had to stand on the trailer for some hours before I could trust the pump to cope with the incoming water. I do not believe they had the boat in water for a couple of years before I bought it. Anyway - two days later it did not leak at all.

53807554225_27f2ea7e7e_b.jpg

Like 14
My dad and I built this from a kit in the mid 60’s. Spruce, and MP with a double canvas hull. I still load it onto the trailer occasionally, it’s too heavy and old for car top use, and take it to a quiet nearby body of water. I had a lot of adventures with it in my younger days and have had to do some repair carpentry and patching. It has a sail rig but the cast aluminum gudgeons broke. I really need to find someone with a boat house in Wi to give it a gentle retirement. I’ve seen em hanging over rustic hotel lobby mantles.

Like 8
Beautiful little boat and a great story!

I'm into old cars, and these 2 hobbies often cross paths. Nothing I've ever had my hands into, but I have nothing but respect for craftsmanship like yours.