Forums Latest Members
  1. amcclell May 11, 2021

I think you are correct - the ladder bracelet would have likely been the one that came with my Octagonal Defy. The bracelet that I have was probably paired up by a previous owner. With that said, I am happy with mine the way it is.

2. 8505davids May 11, 2021

Not an expert but you do see a few with this GF strap rather than the GF ladder type but that could be because they'd changed it out or it had been broken. Your pic shows Sub Seas with that bracelet but you more often see them with the ladder type too so a bit of mixing could have been possible. I'd bet most would say that the Sub Seas should have a ladder bracelet but that catalogue pics proves this wasn't always the case. This type definitely was standard on the 'TV' Defys albeit with a curved endlink . I also have an octagonal with this bracelet and I seem to recall a post somewhere on Watchuseek about such Defys from a guy who had his father or grandfather's watch and he'd ordered it with that bracelet rather than the ladder one (can't remember if he had a receipt or order slip to confirm it) - he was given a choice of bracelet by the dealer. This might have been so as I'm sure not everyone would have liked the ladder style. Not sure if Zenith could confirm the bracelet your watch was supplied with but I wouldn't discount it as being non-original.

Edited May 11, 2021
  3. Rifish May 11, 2021

Beautiful Defy, congrats! Still I don't think that the case is unpolished. Those beveled edges on 12 and 6 o'clock look too sharp and 'fresh'. I think those have been finished again.

4. Rifish May 11, 2021

No, it is not the right Gay Frères bracelet for these first octagonal Defy models. They should have Gay Frères ladder bracelet. That bracelet was used on the other Defy models.

5. sirtaifun May 12, 2021

I found other ad`s and it seems that the Zenith Spaceman had the same bracelet as the Sub-Sea:

strap1.jpg

strap2.jpg

But:

strap3.jpg

So maybe it was an option by Zenith or they changed it for the later models.

As for the Sub-Sea: Should the bracelet for the Sub-Sea include an divers extension?
    AFAIK this watch was really intended for pro diving.

6. amcclell May 12, 2021

The solid bracelets with the 2 rows of polished links like mine generally had the diving extension, which is why they were sold on the dive watch models.

sirtaifun likes this.
  7. sirtaifun May 12, 2021

Thanks for the information!

8. Rifish May 12, 2021

Octagonal steel Defy models were always sold with a Gay Frères ladder bracelet (maybe also with a leather strap). Exception was this gold version that had different kind of Gay Frères bracelet. It had the same one that was used on many other Defy models, like the so called 'TV version'.

sirtaifun likes this.
  9. sirtaifun May 12, 2021

Thank you too!

10. 8505davids May 12, 2021

The Sub Seas came with either GF bracelet but the Defys were only the ladder GF bracelet or a leather strap (as shown in one advert) ?
    Did the GF ladder bracelet that came with the Sub Seas have the diver extension whilst the Defy GF ladder bracelet had the normal clasp per the other GF bracelet used on the Defy Spaceman/TV etc?

11. sirtaifun May 12, 2021

I would thought that the Sub-Sea as divers had always the divers extension no matter the strap but I don`t know for sure.

12. amcclell May 12, 2021

I don't recall seeing the extension on the GF ladder.

13. 8505davids May 12, 2021

Doesn't seem to be outwith the realms of possibility that, if you could have either GF bracelet with an octagonal Sub Sea, you may have been able to have the same option with an Octagonal Defy, both watches being on sale concurrently.

Found the post at Watchuseek I mentioned earlier and my memory was playing me false (old age)! It referred to a tonneau model that the poster had bought new in 1971 with the 'other' GF bracelet albeit a version more flared at the top to suit the tonneau case and a 22mm lug width. Having said that, it was claimed that the tonneau model always came with the lobster bracelet but I guess not...so seems you could have different bracelets with the Sub Seas and different ones with the tonneau case.

Edited May 14, 2021
  14. 8505davids Jun 8, 2021

As an update to the question of bracelets with a Defy , a read of kellohuoltoloppela.com/Defy states that after 1972 the same bracelet as the Spaceman Defys was used - the bracelet end links were changed depending on the model. Don't know how accurate this piece is but interesting reading (once you translate it!)

'After 1972, Defyi started wearing a new kind of bracelet, which was also manufactured by Gay Freres SA. The same bracelet was also used in TV-Defy and Spaceman models, for example. The so-to-end piece on the watch side of the bracelet was loose and was selected according to the watch. '

15. sirtaifun Jun 8, 2021

I opened your linked page but I can`t read that foreign language.
    Is there a chance that you can ask the author of this text for some proof like old advertisement or something like that?

16. 8505davids Jun 9, 2021

Copied and pasted but again I'd say that I've no idea how accurate any of it is - the info on the tonneau case is a bit sparse and there is no mention of the grey/kahki and white tonneau dial. The translation is a bit garbled in places.

Zenith Defy
    In the late '60s, there was competition between watch factories in the manufacture of watertight watches, Zenith also decided to launch a divingvasive watch. The watch was named Defy. The name snuck out of Zenith's history, the factory's founder, Georges Favre-Jacot, had a pocket watch called Defi. In the late 1950s, Zenith had had a special waterproof model Compressor, which is not a full-blooded diver's watch (100m tight), it was based on a patent from shell factory EPSA. By the way, Zenith had focused throughout the '60s only on splash-tight basic watches. The factory started developing the clock in the mid-60s, however, there were plans not only to make a diving watch, but also a very durable watch, perhaps this is why the model did not put a tour ring on it. The watch was announced at the very end of 1968 and at that time a small batch of tests was placed on the market in Switzerland and Central Europe, but the clock was not in stores in Finland until January 1969. The oldest Defy I've ever seen is a watch bought online by my client in Italy without an original board, its reffi being 320Axxx. The oldest Finnish Defy I've seen is 330Axxx. According to some reports, there have been about 2.000 clocks on the side of 1968, considering that Zenith also made other models at the same time. The watch was on a spiral knob and had water protection to 1,000 feet. As glass, the watch had tempered mineral glass, which was initially advertised as scratch-resistant, but it wasn't quite that, but significantly more durable than against scratching than the plex glasses of the time. However, mineral glass allowed for 300m water tightness, with plexilas it would not have been possible. Defy and diver watches started rushing mineral glass into the market. What's special about Defy's glass is that it wasn't smooth and even-handed with kuren other manufacturers, but the glass was convex and lentil-like. In my opinion, the glasses in the original series were of better quality than the new spare parts glasses supplied by the factory today (the subcontractor has changed on the way). The watch also had a flexible machinery frame ring that provided protection against shocks. A retired watchmaker who had been a Zenith dealer told me the other day that he had been at a presentation event for Defy, a Finnish importer, in the early 1970s, had a wristband removed from the clock, and the clock had then been played on the ice with a hockey stick. After all the knock-on, the watch had been tested and had been functionally completely intact! The watch has also performed other similar stunts around the world and was advertised with the watch closed around the boxing glove.
    [​IMG]

Machinery
    The clock was specifically designed with automatic machinery to ensure less use of the knob than in the model with the torable machinery, thus maintaining good knob tightness for longer. In the first batch of the clock, the automatic 2552PC was used, which quickly changed to the 2562PC version. Officially, the caliber 2562PC release is in 1972, but the machinery was tested on the Defy model as early as 1969. After 1972, 2562PC of the new high speed machinery started to be advertised on the clock board with 28.800, which was the speed of the machinery. The watches in the first release of the watch had a sand-colored or silver-coloured board. In the future, the main focus was on the silver-light board, but other colours were also used (graphite grey, black, turquoise and burgundy), specializing in slightly dirty grey or sand-coloured boards that darkened to the edges. The production of the original nut Defy ended in 1974. In total, 35,550 Defys (including the initial model, 4:00 a.m. knob, Diver and Gauss) were manufactured.
    bark
    The bell shell is octagonal and quickly received the French nickname Boulon (=nut). In Finland, too, the watch is known as either nut Defy or safe Defy. The watch has a shell diameter of 37mm and a thickness of 13.5mm. The watch's special waterproof shells were manufactured for Zenith by the shell factory EPSA, which specialized in waterproofing. In addition to Zenith, EPSA worked closely with Omega, among others. Inside Defy's back cover is engraved with the patent number of the model, which is 1808-68. In the 1970s (about 6/1970), the patent was renewed and the number was 433877. Defy clock indicators and board phosphorus were made of non-radiant material, this was new as most often tritium was still used in the watches.
    Other versions
    A special version of the watch was also manufactured for military use, with 600m waterproofing and a rotation tyre. The clock came into production in 1969. About half of the model was sold for civilian use. In the third model, which was 300m tight, the knob was placed instead of 3:00 at 4:30. The Defy Gauss model had a so-called barrle-shape (i.e. barrel-shaped body). The model proved too big in its day, even though the '70s were a time for big watches. Later, Defy was made into even more experimental models, which were only swim-tight models, i.e. 100m. The two most famous of these are nicknamed TV-Defy and Spaceman. There are also at least two other minor models from the 1970s. Defy is still relaunching quartz in the early '90s.
    Catapult number
    Zenith had a catalogue number for the models (varied according to the color of the board sand A3642, white A 3643. A referred to steel acier and G gold), but that number is not found on the watches themselves. The watches are thinly engraved with code numbering running to the back bottom. Defy's numbers are either 330D000 - about 300E000. D- used in Defy (and other Zeniths) 1969-70, the size of the number can be estimated as far as possible. The sandboard below is my own collection and an Italian collector with serial numbers collected knew to tell me that its number 333D396 is the oldest Defy's number in his files. The use of the letter 'E' began in 1971. In 1972, Zenith switched to a new coding system, the number was the same on every watch, i.e. it was a model number. The old E-code didn't quite fill up, and it was abandoned with about 300E000 climaxes. One of the Defy Gauss I fixed had both codes and had 287Exxx on it, it's probably one of the last letter codes made. Defy's number was 01.0902.290, so the same number on each watch. The new number is therefore easy to identify individuals made in 1972-74.
    Manfred Rössler's mainly excellent Zenith book is often worth reading the groundwork elsewhere, as it has a lot of minor errors, such as the age of the images and the fact that Defy used 2542PC machinery, is a classic mistake! Joel Duval's book, on the other hand, is not as number-oriented, so there is not much information about it, but nice pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Defy's glass set, or bezel, is attached to the back of the watch with the same thread. The ring presses the glass against the special rubber seal. There is a NATO star and a serial number on the back bottom, often the serial number has disappeared if the bottom has been polished.
    [​IMG]

Defy's two different knoobs. A NATO star and a box inside which a NATO star. The box knob, which came after only 1972, is now available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Defy table differences
    There are other differences in Defy boards besides just the color of the board. The hour and minute indicators are always the same on the clocks, but in the oldest models the second pointer's snow was orange, later it was manufactured on the same snow as other indicators. From close inspection, you can see from the tables that several different versions were used in the indexes. Considering the colour of the boards, the indexes and 28.800, zenith defy's 3:00 a.m. knob model has 9 versions. They are the boards below (4) + 28.800 boards: light, black and sand.+ 1971/72 published color boards turquoise and burgundy. The color boards were made for the Zenith Defy Gauss model, but they were also placed in basic Defy. So there are only two different versions of the so-called sandboards, although a quick look would tell you that there are numerous different color combos, but it's just an age-related color error, the color of the board has changed as it ages, some have become almost orange or rusty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1) The A3642 Index is a square beam with grooved beans in a cross-sectional direction. The snow is painted as a dot attached to the top. Line spacing specified in the second circle. 2) A3643. The most common model, index is a slightly inward narrowing bar with darkening at the ends, vertical matte brushing. The snow is a separate rectangle behind it. 3) A3644. The rarest model. Index is a slightly inwardly narrowing bar with a bevel brush on top, 2/3 on the inside. Here, too, the snow is a separate rectangle behind it. 4) A3645. Index is the suorakaide bar with a snow track in the middle. In addition, there is a separate snow bar behind the index.
    Photos of Defy watches
    [​IMG]

First series Zenith Automatic Defy on a sand-colored board, early 1969. Small manufacturing volume, well worth more than the more common white board. Model second indicator on orange snow. Catalogue number is A3644

[​IMG]

First series Zenith Automatic Defy A3643 with silver and white board. This blond was the most common in Defyi.
    [​IMG]

Zenith Defy Machinery 2552PC. The speed of the machinery was 21,600. Version 2562PC, which looks completely identical in appearance, had a running frequency of 28,800.
    [​IMG]
    Zenith Automatic 28.800 Defy, with new high speed machine, A 3645.
    [​IMG]

Zenith Automatic Defy A4245 with dark grey/graphite board, 2552PC. Dark grey was the colour of the painting favoured by the Zenith factory in the late 60s, but it was not common in Defy. It's about 1970.
    [​IMG]
    One specialty that a kolleega asked me about, their store had sold one of these for just under 3k. Light-tablet Zenith Defy with outlier indexes. The model may be Zenith specifics, an experiment conducted from outside the catalag. A test piece that eventually failed to reach official production. However, the individual has been put up for sale. Or it's just someone's tuning. Since it's not in the catapult, it's impossible to verify anymore. They say the indexes are the same as el primero espada from 1971. Since the authenticity of the clock is controversial, I do not think that a higher price can be justified.
    Women's Defy
    [​IMG]

This original line was also made into a rare women's watch (AX 3678) with a shell of 28.5mm without a knob. The watch's shell number was 01.0160.485 The women's watch was also made with an GF bracelet and a leather bracelet. The fastening width of the women's Defy bracelet was 15mm. The large lumpy watch was not to the liking of women at the time, and the clock probably wasn't even made for more than a test batch. The watch initially had Zenith's own automatic 1724C, which was manufactured with only 5,000 watch models, including one. Women's Defys were only made in a relationship enough for the factory to say that there was one, so the clock is a rarity. Later, the clock was made with the out-of-house machinery ETA 2671 (bark number 485 refers to eta machinery). Unfortunately, as with other women's watches, rarity does not accumulate in value.
    [​IMG]
    Men's and women's Defy side by side.
    Defy 600 diver
    Defy's diver's watch on a rotation ring (rotating bezel). Diver's watch, diver's watch. The model was made in a limited batch of 7,000 pieces, designed from a special order for navy divers (I can't remember which country). The rotary ring is with a powerful lock, because it does not fluff at all at the bottom, but must be lifted from two sides before it can be moved. So it's impossible to move the tin unintentionally. The watch board is reflective material. The watch is made with a white (A3650) and orange/black (A6448) board. The knob of the clock is at 4:30 a.m., this one because the clock is 5-diner than the original Defy and at 4:30 a.m. it's not in the way.
    Zenith has also made a diving watch of the same size on a yellow and orange board in the 1970s, so it's not Defy, it's Zenith Diver. That model has a similar bezel, but the knob is at 3:00 a.m. and the shell is with a curved bevel, not an angular one. It is also an extremely rare model.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zenith Automatic Defy "Diver", 600m waterproof diver Defy.
    Defy, 4:00 a.m. knob
    The model was made in the wake of that 600m diver taking a model of it, it is like the original 300m waterproof. The model is slightly err than the original model at 3:00 a.m. with a knob. However, the glass and board are 2 mm smaller in diameter than in basic Defy. The model was made in 1972-74. It didn't rise in popularity to nearly the level of the original. My own eye is not struck by a 4am knob, it lacks the ballant of the original model. This model has its own glass of different sizes than the original Defy.
    [​IMG]
    Zenith Automatic Defy at 4:30 with a knob. From 1973, peel date 01.1070.290. This model has slightly smaller glass than the original model. Also take into account the different grinding of the shell, which follows the style of the diving Defys.
    Defy Gauss
    In the '70s, the size of the watches began to grow, and Defy was also made into a bigger version. The model was in production from 1971 to 1973. The nut-like frame here was replaced by a barrel shape with a large 22mm bracelet. Only small number of tests were made, as Zenith often used to do. A total of 5,000 table shades were manufactured. Only the caliber 2562PC was used as the machine in this model. The model did not become a hit, as it was considered too big at the time and the watch was only sold for a test batch. On the watch, the original bracelet was a so-called beam bracelet made by Gay Freres. Technically, this bracelet was poor, the joints of the pieces were subjected to high pressure, which often led to a part-broken. The model was 300m waterproof, as was nut Defy. The model has its own glass, which is different from the rest of Defyi. In the model, the main colours of the painting were turquoise A7683 and burgundy A7682. These are square indexes. In addition, even rarer test pieces were made, with Defy Gauss A7686 light, A7687 blue and A7688 black on the board with ruler dex. You can see a lot of franks online because, for example, the basic Defy machine goes straight with its paintings into this envelope.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zenith Automatic 28.800 Defy"Gauss" with barrel-shaped shell.

TV-Defy and Spaceman
    [​IMG]

Pictured is a page from a Japanese sales brochure. The picture shows two models of three watches. A regular and double-calendar version, of both TV-Defy and Spaceman. The third bell in the brochure is captain. Interestingly, the Captain appears to have been the most affordable model of these three at this point, although it was originally created as the flagship model for automatic clocks. It was already an exiting model at this point.
    The two most important of the new Defy models were TV-Defy and Spaceman. Models were made with machinery 2552PC and 2562PC. The clocks have also been 408 in the double calendar. Tv-Defy's board doesn't mention the frequency at 8:800 p.m., but Spaceman often does. Spaceman has two teulus, one at 9:00 a.m. automatic, the other at 28:800. Similarly, spaceman's double calendar template board is marked AF/P, it doesn't exist on TV-Defy. AF/P comes from the Italian words Alta frequenza & precisione (= high frequency and accuracy) the clock has a running frequency of 36,000, the same as el primero. Spacema's model is not often encountered in Finland. Zenith's importer, wholesaler Sylvester Korhonen, went bankrupt at the time of the watch's publication, so the model has not been sold much in Finland. The sellers of watches that are often sold online (eBay, Chrono24) are from Italy, where the lot is probably mainly sold. Both models represent the aesthetics of the '70s at their best. Neither model is particularly large. The diameter of the TV defy is 35mm at the knob, from the ear to the ear 42mm. Spaceman is 34mm at nupin point.
    [​IMG]

Zenith Automatic Defy "TV-Defy" 100m waterproof model. This individual's shell date is 700D76 and has 2552PC, the clock is about 1969. The catalogue number is A 7650.
    [​IMG]

Zenith Automatic Defy "Spaceman" 100m waterproof model. Kataloki number is A 7632.
    Defy, 4:00 a.m. new edition of the knob
    [​IMG]

The 4 o'clock knob Defy's return in 1974 was zenith's new 2572PC with a calendar quick transfer. Previous Defys didn't have a quick transfer to the calendar. The shell number is 01-1501-380. This model doesn't coincide with the original 4:00 a.m. knob defy, but here's a erraier glass. The shell has more in common with the original nut Defy.
    After the original collection and 1974
    These models are called post-Defys by most collectors, although they are certainly received as Defyi. Some of the last Defys were made by Zenith with the Movado brand for the US market. Some of the Defys of 1974-78 were also made with EEA machinery. Zenith entered the quartz era in 1976 and stopped making mechanical watches. Mechanical clocks were then made from machinery built into storage and with EEA machinery.
    After 1974, Zenith introduced a way to mark watches with either Surf or Sub Sea. Surf was either splashproof or even swimproof (100m), while Sub Sea reported that the watch was bottle diving.
    [​IMG]

This Defy was an XXL size, its shell diameter was 38.5mm. It was 100 m waterproof. Machinery 2572PC, shell date 01.0210.380.
    [​IMG]

Angular Defy after 1974 with the machinery 2572PC. Shell diameter without knob 37mm, angularity makes the watch bigger than the upper round XXL model.
    [​IMG]
    Late Defy models with an integrated bracelet.
    [​IMG]

Zenith Defy ETA high speed koneistolla, taajuus 36.000. Kuorireffi 01.0060.345 Kello on noin vuodelta 1978 eli viimeisiä mekaanisia ennen quartz-aikaa.
    Zenithillä oli näissä "Lopunaikojen" (1974-80) mekaanisissa myös muita malleja kuin tässä esitellyt, mutta tässä on ne tärkeimmät.
    Quartz-ajan Defy
    Vaikka Zenith valmisti 60-70-lukujen taitteessa useita malleja Defy-brändin alla, tarkoitetaan Defyn toisella tulemisella useimmiten 80-luvun lopussa syntynyttä quartz-mallistoa, jossa oli uusi design. Mallissa oli käytetty dubleeta kiertorenkaassa ja rannekkeen somistepaloissa, myös nuppi oli dubleeta. Kelloissa oli joko metalliranneke tai hainnahkainen sininen ranneke. Malliston pääväri oli sininen, mutta kelloa tehtiin myös valkoisella taululla. Kellot oli varustettu joko ETA quartz-koneistolla 955.112 tai multikalenterikoneistolla 955.483. Myöhemmin mallista tehtiin 90-luvun puolivälissä myös automaattikello ETA 2892-2 koneistolla, kuorireffi 08.2100.462, siitä oli myös täysteräsversio 01.2100.462. Mielestäni kun katsoo alkuperäistä Defyä ja sitten tätä, se kertoo, mitä Zenithille tapahtui 80-luvulla. Krumeluuria ja kultausta kellossa, joka suunniteltu extra-kovaankäyttöön.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zenith Defy, ETA with machine 955.112, shell date 08/59.2100.226 (in code that /59 means two-color bracelet). Same clock with multi-calendar machine ETA 955.483, peel date 08/59.2100.394. The model was with a threaded knob and 200m waterproof. The duble knob of this model is of poor quality and wears out quickly, apparently the base metal of the knob is a soft mixture.
    Defy's bracelet
    Gay Freres
    Zenith Defy was sold on both a metal wrist and a leather bracelet. The original metal bracelet was manufactured for Zenith by a subcontractor, the bracelet factory Gay Freres SA(The company is called Brothers Gay). GF bracelets are entred with the deer head logo for the lock folding and also have a manufacturing time of e.g. 2/71 (=second quarter 1971). The GF bracelet used in Defy is known by the nickname ladder. As the bracelet is manufactured by a subcontractor, it is no longer available and has not been in 50 years. A used bracelet can cost as much on eBay as a whole watch that requires or is serviced. The reason for this is that the same bracelet was also used in the original El Primero, and in it the metal bracelet can increase the value of the watch by over 1,000 euros. I'm getting evenly questioned, where can I get an original bracelet for Defy? The answer is nothing! Certainly not at a price without buying a watch where it's already closed. Even now, at the time of writing this, I was digging the web (summer 2017) eBay has one Zenith ladder for sale, which has been defaced by shortening pieces from the wrist and missing end pieces. Finding end pieces separately can be more difficult than finding the bracelet itself. The buy it now price of a wrist on sale for a rached bracelet is £680! The second bracelet was sold from Italy the other day for 1200€. Absurd!
    Defy's GF bracelets had different locks: 1) basic folding, 2) basic sleagging, diving with 3) folding, safety cinch (pictured) and 4) folding, safety and diving jat.
    The GF wrists were made in such a way that they were not lulled at all by removing the pieces, but only by moving the spring sting on the lock plate. Since the average wristband of humans in the early 70s was narrower than it is now, the length of the GF bracelet is usually in the class of 19-20 cm, with it in the outer hole. At the time, the importer also ordered an XL bracelet if necessary. I have come across several GF wrists that have been naffs on my own wrist in the outer regulation, so you should be prepared for a back blow if you have a fair wrist and buy Zenith's beginnings. with a bracelet.
    [​IMG]
    Zenith ladder pad with basic snitching, upper diving.

[​IMG]
    A lock with a safety side designed to prevent the lock from opening unintentionally.
    [​IMG]
    Deer head id on the turn of the lock.
    [​IMG]
    The diving extension of the lock to give it extra length when placed on top of the wetsuit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 1972, Defyi started wearing a new kind of bracelet, which was also manufactured by Gay Freres SA. The same bracelet was also used in TV-Defy and Spaceman models, for example. The so-to-end piece on the watch side of the bracelet was loose and was selected according to the watch. Here's TV-Defy's end piece, higher up the nut Defy's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made after 1972, the crooked knob Defys with a knob at 4:30 a.m. and the Defy Gauss model used a so-called beam rail with very large pieces. This bracelet is also made by Gay Freres. In the model, the joints of the pieces have a big strain and often the wristband is broken by the joints of the pieces, which are not on the interchangeable shaft in Vinonuppi-Defy the wristband is 18mm, in Defy Gauss the wristband is 22mm.
    NSA bracelet
    In addition to these GF bracelets, the Zenithes of the early 70s have a bracelet made by a company called the NSA, but it was not used in Defy. Typically, an NSA bracelet is a steel bracelet with two axes connected together by a steel straw wrapped over them. NSA bracelets were used more than every other Swiss watch factory (Breitling, Candino, Certina, Eterna, Favre-Leuba, Heuer, Jaeger-Lecoultre, Longines, Omega, Marvin, Movado, Rado, Roamer, Sinn, Tissot, Zenith, Zodiac et al). It served as one of the last Swiss watch-ring factories and operated until the late 80s. There were bracelets with both a spinning wear and a breaking lock. NSA's old warehouse accessories can also be pricey today, with buy it now selling prices of €300 on eBay on average (e.g. Rado still has the same type of original wrist on sale for about €100). Some of them can also be seen moving in those with the Zenith logo on the lock (the accessory usually has the NSE logo triangle in a circle), but the bracelet is sold in an NSSA plastic case. So the bracelet is an accessory with a watch sign logo! There must have been some kind of deal at the plant to cooperate with some of the signs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other Zenith original bracelets
    After 1974 Zenith began wearing non-GF bracelets, these bracelets had no manufacturer information, they were only Zenith with a logo or text.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Octagonal mineral-scalded Defy had the same type of bracelet as TV-El Primero. Fine bracelet, thick and impressive pieces, but a bit clumsy to wear. A more affordable version of the model was also made below.
    [​IMG]

Zenith Original Case
    [​IMG]

Zenith watches sold many times online house the factory's modern watch case, e.g. the impressive grey case of the quartz watches of the late 1980s, or even the wooden enclosure of the 21st century, but they did not come with them. At the time of Zenith Defy, as well as other Zeniths, there was a modest black or red cardboard and paper case in the 60s, with a red velvet fabric stained at the bottom and light silk at the top. After 1972, the enclosures were dark blue plastic.
    [​IMG]

Article posted on 8/2017 HL

Edited Jun 9, 2021
    cristos71, dougiedude and sirtaifun like this.
  17. sirtaifun Jun 9, 2021

This is awesome!!!!!! ::psy::

18. 8505davids Jun 9, 2021

As I said - I have no idea how correct any of it is . I posted it just out of interest.

19. sirtaifun Sep 16, 2021

I was lucky to catch this one:

ZD.JPG

::psy::

paysdoufs, levkov, dougiedude and 3 others like this.
  20. Medinatalzahra Sep 16, 2021

Very nice! Where did you find that piece? I have a very sharp NOS octagonal defy coming in soon. I will make sure to post it. Well done! M