Forums Latest Members

The next time you are fretting about a scratch on a case back...

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 16, 2015

ffej4 likes this.
  2. ev3rclear Feb 16, 2015

î am always wondering how this can happen

citizenrich likes this.
  3. redpcar Feb 16, 2015

Another of my favorites is when the case is a top loader (sometimes clearly marked "Open Through Crystal") and you see this activity on the back where somebody has spent hours trying to grab an edge.

..............I have also seen some of the Benrus watches with the stainless back pressed on a base metal case clearly stating to open through crystal yet somebody has managed to get the back off! They had to tape it back in place, but they got it off.

4. peatnick Feb 16, 2015

Proof that determination and access to improper tools implies neither knowledge of English or access to the internet . . .

5. cristos71 Feb 16, 2015

Nasty! Looks like it could have been done using the old scissor technique :eek:

dennisthemenace likes this.
  6. JG808 Feb 16, 2015

Wow, this is just sad!

7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 16, 2015

the movement looks decent, so we can assume he didn't get inside......

with his scissors

Josh36912 and Spacefruit like this.
  8. ulackfocus Feb 16, 2015

:eek: There should be major fines and penalties involved with that kind of hack job. ::rant:

9. chickenman26 Feb 16, 2015

Either that or needle nosed pliers. What a maroon! Not really a problem, though. That should buff right out....::facepalm1::

10. micampe Feb 16, 2015

I would be worried about scratching my wrist.

11. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 16, 2015

Its called Timex

12. x3no Feb 16, 2015

Good grief.. Poor watch

13. ICONO Feb 16, 2015

As the eBay Seller of this watch is a prominent, & very knowledgeable Member of this Forum

It is safe to say, this is the condition of the watch, as it arrived with him .

Frankly, not that difficult at all, to source another 'unbranded', pristine, period case back to replace this one.

I have actually have seen worse than this, successfully buffed back to acceptable condition.

the future likes this.
  14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 16, 2015

At the risk of sounding a bit irritable, what you state is inconsistent on its face. If the seller of the watch is as knowledgeable as you suggest, and sourcing a correct case back that would actually fit well is not difficult, then why would he not do so and bring a considerably higher final bid? As for buffing, the case back would, in my opinion, look wafer-thin by the time those gouges appeared "acceptable".

15. redpcar Feb 16, 2015

Looks to be a very common case for the era. Surely, it is signed on the inside of the back and this would be a problem. If it were my watch, I would lovingly lean on it against the buffer wheel until the sharp edges looked less...........hmmmm.......angry?
    No matter how thin you make the back, it can't get much worse than it is now.

16. ICONO Feb 16, 2015

Entirely agreed......You do sound peeved....Though I am not sure why ?

Also

Entirely agreed, that whoever initially damaged this watch originally, deserves arbitrary execution, in the Courtyard

However - This particular watch was never going to break anyone's record price

I cannot speak for the Seller......but if you look at the other items he is selling....I suspect he has much 'bigger fish to fry'

Incidentally the case back inside is unmarked, therfore any number of generic 'period backs' will substitute.

I personally have, ( accidentally ), deeply gouged the side edge of an IWC, whilst stripping an E Type V12 Engine .....Devastated at the time !

IWC was precisely buffed to invisibility by IWC service centre .........at no charge

17. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Feb 16, 2015

Jad the same happen to a chronostop, same 'watchmaker' also broke the crystal and then tried to fob me off with a non omega plexi ... which in turn was stopping the movement ...

18. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 16, 2015

Hats off to you if you can strip and put back together the most complicated road V12 known to mankind.

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 16, 2015

I suspect that the buyer of this watch could care less about the case. The money here is for the movement. I suspect it will be harvested for parts, regardless of condition. Not sure where those hands came from, but certainly not this watch.

However, the dial with the "Jacquet-Droz" name probably has some value as well.

Just my prediction.
    gatorcpa

20. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 17, 2015

I actually disagree, in that there is fairly strong demand for J-D chronographs. There are not many on the market, and this variation is particularly uncommon. Were it not for the condition of the case back, it would likely bring four figures.