The New (Oct 2023) Planet Ocean Dark Grey GMT Cal 8906 Titanium Ref 215.92.46.22.99.002

Omega-Seamaster-Planet-Ocean-GMT-Dark-Grey-215.92.46.22.99.002-COVER.jpg

RJ’s take on it from Fratello is here: https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-dark-grey/

I think its a bit odd and confusing that the same calibre number (8906) has been re-used for a calibre that is almost entirely different in terms of parts, but I guess that’s a problem for the watchmakers.

Ht’s a bit lighter which is nice but the real problem the Planet Ocean GMT’s have had for a while, and I’ll reference both of these articles I’ve written on them below for more detail, is that these are simply too thick still for a non-chronograph wristwatch. The 45.5 mm case is 17.4 mm thick, which is above the 43.5 mm Oreo GMT’s 17 mm, and identical to the original PO GMT’s.

The first Gen Planet Ocean GMT: https://stories.omegaforums.net/the-1st-gen-planet-ocean-gmt-family-goodplanet/
The second Gen Planet Ocean GMT: https://stories.omegaforums.net/omega-oreo-2nd-generation-planet-ocean-gmt-cal-8906/

Its cool to see new advancement in materials and the titanium movement looks cool, but it does feel a bit like a solution in need of a problem, while the thickness issue has been persistent on the Planet Ocean in particular for a very long time and is scary off potential customers.

Like 4
Having owned a 300m chronograph, which is a monster, I have to agree. That watch banged on every door frame I went through.

Like 1
It's not my type of watch but the diameter and thickness are just not in the mainstream today of what people are looking for. I like the looks and the technology, but the whole package would look better without the He valve at 10 o'clock. And that price is, well, interesting.

Like 1
If people bought the Aqua Terra Ultralight, someone's buying this.

Not me though.

Like 3
Strange I was just on Reddit to see if the world blew up and they were talking about this watch. Someone had picked one up and they were saying omega lost the plot with the price of this one and they were hoping it wasn’t going to be a regular thing (price) imo nice looking but too big.

Strange I was just on Reddit to see if the world blew up and they were talking about this watch. Someone had picked one up and they were saying omega lost the plot with the price of this one and they were hoping it wasn’t going to be a regular thing (price) imo nice looking but too big.

Reddit and its normal reaction that everything is the end of the world spiraling down and up vote system for the win!

To me this smacks of more of a successor of the aquaterra ultralite. We just got a 75th Seamaster series, we just got a revamped speedy pro, we just got a 321, and the Heritage line got a facelift. No idea why reddit thinks that this is some indication Omega is suddenly Switching gears to build more tone deaf watches that only appeal to 1% of Their buyers...
Edited:

Like 1
Reddit and its normal reaction that everything is the end of the world spiraling down and up vote system for the win!

To me this smacks of more of a successor of the aquaterra ultralite. We just got a 75th Seamaster series, we just got a revamped speedy pro, we just got a 321, and the Heritage line got a facelift. No idea why I read it thinks that this is some indication Omega is suddenly Switching gears to build more tone deaf watches that only appeal to 1% of Their buyers...
Well actually I had been busy at work so I went on to see if Israel had invaded and if the market crashed but the watch was in my feed. I don’t think Reddit is the best source of news but I got used to it and their r/watches and the exchange are pretty good.

Like 2
Cant help to hear all the peanuts from back in the day saying ‘chicks like it thick’ lol. Whats more concerning to me is the price…24.7kEuro…it feels like most of their appealing modern novelties exist in dreamland. But maybe thats just me.

Like 3
Wow, whoever is in charge of their pricing strategy has lost its mind. This is nearing the retail cost of of a Royal Oak 41

Like 1
Out of curiosity, I’m wondering if the numbers in the bezel are made in Titanium Liquid Metal or what else?

Anyone is happy with Omega's direction?
In this instance it’s one watch that isn’t really intended to be a big seller rather than an overall direction. As an experiment in material science its cool, but the Speedmaster Super Racing with the spirate hairspring is a more interesting direction.

Like 1
Anyone is happy with Omega's direction?

Is this really a direction change? Omega has always made a lot of references and experimented with different directions. We so recently had a revamp of the moonwatch and some new moonwatch releases, the revamped heritage and the 75th anniversary release... this is their ridiculously experimental model for the ubersport folks that play tennis in 5K tennis shoes from a brand I've never heard of.

Like 1
I’ve just revealed the price on the Omega website and almost burst out laughing.

You just made me look!
All we want is a first gen looking reboot of the PO. They'd sell a hell of a lot more. I know a lot of us own one of them anyway, and I wear it loads more than my 2nd gen, but to get away from this shiny shiny would be nice.

Could they really make a reproduction of earlier models with all the anti magnetic, chronometer, and depth rating features that current ones have?

Wow, whoever is in charge of their pricing strategy has lost its mind. This is nearing the retail cost of of a Royal Oak 41

Yeah but it's not ugly like the RO!