Forums Latest Members
  1. Jensop Mar 29, 2015

Hello all,
    There are several attractive Omegas coming out these years and movement-wise there is some development going on, which on the one hand is interesting and necessary I suppose and on the other hand it raises a few questions and concerns.
    Another recent thread mentioned that the coaxial calibers were tough to service, adjust and repair and I am wondering if this is true. I really like the old Omega calibers that seem to be indestructible, easily maintained by qualified watchmakers, easy access to parts and so forth. So I am basically wondering if the new calibers 8500, 8400, 8900, 9300 are going to be around in 50 years. Will they carry on from where the old 50's and 60's Omega movements left off or is this a new era in watches, movements and watchmaking.
    The prices of new Omegas (and watches in general) have certainly reached new levels and I suspect the consumer, that Omega is trying to reach may be a different animal now compared to before.
    So is a 8400 a robust, servicable, reliable movement ready for a lifetime or two of wear? Will there be watchmakers around that can keep these little marvels running in years and years to come?
    Difficult to predict, but what are your thoughts?
    Best regards,
    Jens

watchme likes this.
  2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 29, 2015

Yeah, I think so.

3. ctime3 Mar 29, 2015

I think so too. Regarding the 8400 to 9300 in house movements. Omega stands behind them and assures their reliability. Plus the 4 year warranty says a lot too.

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 29, 2015

But to date, Omega is the only one that can service the watches with those movements. My 8500 will be needing service this year, my only option is Omega. $520 was the quote.

5. Superdoc Mar 29, 2015

I'm also upset... Jiffy lube will not change the oil on my Maserati...

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2015

As far as I know any independents like @Archer that have the training and parts access are fine to service them too

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 29, 2015

I don't take my car to jiffy lube. I take my car to an independent mechanic certified to work on the brand I own.

Jiffy lube charges $35 for oil. My independent $150 and dealership much more. Granted the guys at jiffy lube have no clue on my model/make (if I took it there) but my independent does a fantastic job. Aside from the dealer location not being convenient, I want an open market to set the price.

I am one of the biggest fan boy of Omega on this board, but even so I should have other options for quality service from others outside of Omega.

lenny likes this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 29, 2015

I contacted Nesbit and was told they could not service these movement numbers due to training and parts not available for independent watch makers.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 29, 2015

Well then there's your answer, don't buy any of the new caliber watches until certified independent watch makers can service them. Yth have plenty of watches to choose frhave

But, if you want a new one then know that within 4 years you have a warranty, and if you decide to service every five years that means you can start saving a day one quarter more or less and you're covered. That's 25 to 30 cents a day on a piggy bank to maintain a 4 to 8 thousand dollar watch.

10. proximal Mar 30, 2015

Yes, I know of at least one independent watchmaker (other than Archer) who is trained on coaxial movements and can/will service them.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 30, 2015

I've not had an 8500 in the shop yet (I don't control what people ask me to service, and no one has asked me yet...possibly because the warranty is much longer on these), but when I look on the extranet, all the parts are shown as available, and if you can oil the co-axial escapement in a 2500 or 3313, etc., then an 8500 is no different. I can't explain why they are saying this, because based on what I see, all the parts are clearly available for purchase...

Cheers, Al

Event horizon likes this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2015

Yea I figured that was the case as I remember your comments regarding new barrels, and technical documents being available, the local Australian AD chain here also had some of their watchmakers trained up on them and handle them locally.

13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 30, 2015

I will call Nesbit today to make sure I correctly understood. I will update later.

14. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 30, 2015

Just got of the phone with Nesbits. He indicated that he DID go though training for the 8500 caliber, but that he cannot buy parts. And while he said he technically could service them, it makes no sense to service them if he cannot buy parts. In any event, he is going to follow up with Omega.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 16, 2015

I just wanted to follow-up on this thread with regards to getting parts for the 8500 calibres. Omega handles the sale of parts differently in various markets, so my experience here may not apply to the US I suppose...

When Taddyangle said that parts were not available, I checked and they are shown as available on the Omega Extranet as I mentioned above. But I thought the real test is ordering some, so I ordered a set of mainsprings for the 8508G caliber. I picked this specifically, because it is the latest version of the springs and technically no watch with these should need service outside Omega because they would all be under warranty still...

It's clear that they don't get many orders for these, because Omega here in Canada didn't have them in stock - they had to come from Switzerland. But today they did arrive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's unclear why they might no be available to others, but as I've said, Omega is not your only choice.

Cheers, Al

Jensop likes this.
  16. trama Apr 16, 2015

Hmmmn, those "springs" look suspiciously like batteries...:cautious:

17. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 16, 2015

Well I've heard the new omega calibres oil is infused with powdered unicorn horn and can only be serviced at the exact height above Earth as the ISS! Coupled with the fact only highly qualified doctors of theology have the brain capacity to comprehend the inner workings of such a timepiece are allowed to service it.
    It could all be bullshit though you would need to ask Al Archer about it.
    Oh yes he can service them I assume but you will just have to wait until it's his turn on the ISS.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Jensop Apr 20, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to follow-up.

Jens

19. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 7, 2015

UPDATE:

I went to an OMEGA AD, one that I used to service my Speedmaster 2.5 years ago and they did a wonderful job servicing the watch. I asked him to look at my Ploprof 8500 and he said he could not service it, due to the depth rating. He also said they are an AD for Rolex and cannot service the DeepSea. No idea if they do not have the equipment or what the reason was, as it was simply stated they cannot service it.

I decided to drop the watch off at the Omega boutique today. Standard service s $525 and that also includes changing the hands, and a case and bracelet polish. If other items like a crown or other parts will be extra. Should be ready for pick up in 8 weeks.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 7, 2015

Yea even the old Sea Dweller 16600 with its 4000ft depth rating is beyond the equipment most ADs and even serious watchmakers have handy for pressure testing. Just curious @Archer what's the limit of the gear you use?