Forums Latest Members
  1. bieb1 Nov 13, 2014

Dear Omega friends, I have an opportunity to acquire - at a reasonable price - the (not so very) limited edition Bond watch 2226.80 (with box & papers all in order). I have always wanted a modern SMP for daily wear, initially the blue wave pattern one, but came across this one instead. But I am not so sure about the watch as a future keeper, given its overt Bond styling, which I accept is a matter of personal taste. So without stirring up too much controversy, I wanted to ask for your opinion on this watch and perhaps about these type limited (Bond and/or other) editions in general? Here are a few of my personal pros & cons:
    Pros:
    - first Co-Axial Bond watch,so excellent movement inside
    - debatable if really limited, but "only" 10.700 made and all sold out
    - gun barrel dial styling I find nice & different
    Cons:
    - 007 Logo on seconds hand, perhaps a bit too "wannabee" if you are not James but Joe
    - succeeded by a more limited version with red 007 Logo
    - many "limited" Bond editions in general
    (picture from Google)
    image.jpg

Bond Crazy likes this.
  2. chickenman26 Nov 13, 2014

You're correct; style is a matter of personal taste. Let me give you an analogy. I once knew a guy who bought a Corvette - one with the words Official Daytona 500 Pace Car emblazoned along each side. Not only did that distract from the car's otherwise clean, classy lines, it made me assume unkind things about the owner. Limited edition? For sure. But a collector piece to be preserved for display at car shows or to drive in a rally. Definitely not for everyday use. And no, that particular car was never actually on the track at Daytona.

I own two of these watches, one for almost 20 years, and neither with the gun barrel dial. I saw the "limited edition" in the AD when it first arrived and decided the dial was too distracting for quick viewing in everyday use and actually degraded the watch's appearance...my personal opinion. BTW, nice avatar.

Stu

Edited Nov 13, 2014
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 13, 2014

Great watch, crappy product placement and branding. I hate everything about the Bond stamped watches, it takes away from a great watch that does not need a fictional characters brand on it to justify it's value. I love Bond, I love Omega. No need to make my omega into an action figure kid toy. For goodness sakes, Bond is not real. You're buying into a film franchise product placement, not into an iconic symbol like " moonwatch" or " everest ( for a rolex Explorer). Also, do you actually see Bond wearing a watch with what is either a camera diaphragm or the inside of a gun barrel stamped on it? Or a 007 hand...he would be laughed off the spy convention.

andrewd and chickenman26 like this.
  4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Nov 13, 2014

I have the 2220.80 and it's one of my favorites, but for me, 2226.80 is a little over the top with the Bond stuff, esp. the pinwheel thing.

5. alam Nov 13, 2014

Couple of more descriptors for this watch: novelty, fashion....and this will eventually wear out and fade.

I'd go for something more classic instead.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 13, 2014

I never have problem with 007 second hands, It is small enough to dominate the design look.
    The barrel gun pattern in dial is another story..........

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 14, 2014

I am not a fan of the dial. The more subtle James Bond things can be okay, but that is over the top for me personally. I recently serviced a Quantum of Solace PO (that was completely trashed inside and out after 5 years of use - had to replace a ton of parts) and I even found the etching on the crystal to be a bit much...

[​IMG]

If watch companies are commemorating something, I prefer that whatever they do is on the case back or something so if I want to look at it I can, but otherwise I can just enjoy a normal watch.

Cheers, Al

Edited Nov 14, 2014
  8. swils8610 Nov 14, 2014

Omega puts out way to many limited editions. Unless you really like the particular style of the limited edition don't buy it. Very few omega limited editions have any collector value.

9. bieb1 Nov 14, 2014

Thank you very much to all responders. As mentioned in my opening, these type watches are certainly great quality Omega time pieces and their Bond branding a matter of personal preference, so I am sure there are many happy owners out there. I appreciate your frank opinions and feel similarly, so will pass on this one and keep looking for a nice classic blue wave pattern one to cross my path.

bmickdewey, alam and blufinz52 like this.
  10. alam Nov 14, 2014

wise choice! :thumbsup:

not a blue dial, but certainly a classic: http://omegaforums.net/threads/omeg...automatic-black-sword-hands-box-papers.18341/

11. ikeo1 Nov 15, 2014

2220.80 or 2531.80 are the bond watches I dig.. Much more subtle..

Joshieboy likes this.