The mystery of the disappearing Breitling Valjoux 5 cap jewel

I got a good deal on a non-running Breitling pocket watch/chrono a few days ago. The seller was definitely not a watch guy, but he said it would wind...well I'll let him tell you.

"It just free spins I believe a watch guy took back off one day couple months ago and didn’t screw it back on all way guess didn’t know what he was doing"

I don't know what he was trying to say, but I thought maybe the mainspring was broken. He also said it would not run for even a few seconds, so I figured it might need to be re staffed. My experience with mainsprings is that they can usually hold enough energy to run at least briefly...and at most for hours, depending upon where the break is.

Anyway, it arrived today. The outside is beautiful, including the dial and hands, but once I took the back off, I found the regulator just laying loose on top of the movement. Hmm. I wound the watch, and it started running but would not, of course, run dial up because the upper jewel on the balance was moving. So the cap jewel is nowhere to be seen/found. I looked as best I could without tearing into it. I did remove the balance cock completely in hopes the cap might tumble out. It did not. I'll try to post photos. Anyway, I need the cap jewel for the balance. Mainspring is fine, and so is the staff. If anyone has a donor Val 5 or knows of one, I am looking. I know...it's very possible the old part is lodged inside there. I really do not want to do my first pocket watch chrono. Thanks.valjoux-cal.-5.png copy.jpg
Arrow on missing part from complete Val 5

IMG_7240.jpeg
IMG_7241.jpeg
IMG_7239.jpeg
Yeah. He shipped it in just a thin mailer envelope. Not even some extra padding, let alone a box.
Edited:

Jewels are pretty standardized. I’d assume any decent watch maker can replace it.

What is required is the cap jewel in its setting. Doubtful that a generic part will do as the setting must have the threaded holes for the cap jewel screws which line up with the screw holes in the cock, but the o/d must be suited to the regulator index. I think @keepsonticking is hoping someone may have a Valjoux parts movement that might yield the parts he needs. He may have to be checking with a watchmaker who has a large stash of donor movements.

@Foo2rama contends any “decent watchmaker” can replace it! Yes, but it is also the correct cap jewel setting that will be required. That is the colour of another horse!

Like 1
What is required is the cap jewel in its setting. Doubtful that a generic part will do as the setting must have the threaded holes for the cap jewel screws which line up with the screw holes in the cock, but the o/d must be suited to the regulator index. I think @keepsonticking is hoping someone may have a Valjoux parts movement that might yield the parts he needs. He may have to be checking with a watchmaker who has a large stash of donor movements.

@Foo2rama contends any “decent watchmaker” can replace it! Yes, but it is also the correct cap jewel setting that will be required. That is the colour of another horse!

just need a paperclip right?

Like 1
just need a paperclip right?

Brilliant suggestion! I hadn’t thought about that!

Like 1
So maybe I'm in the wrong place.

Your actual request is sort of buried...and isn’t really stated as a request. More like a statement. You might want to post in the WTB section if you are actually asking for the cap jewel.

In any case, the first thing you should do is see if the parts are in the movement. That means some disassembly will be required.

I agree.
Actually....
1740965-fdcb83a7ea496694850338a713a2d90e.jpg

But thanks to most of you who responded.
Edited:

Like 1