Forums Latest Members

The mysteries of Rolex Plexi's

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 23, 2015

I just found a crack in the crystal of my 5500 Air King (see at 6). :(

If it was an Omega, I'd have no trouble identifyig and procuring the correct replacement.

However, Rolex crystals seem to be a puzzle to me.

As far as I can tell, I need a "25-12". These are available NOS OEM for eye watering prices.

There are a number of generics available, but I have no experience with these.

Are the generics suitable?

If not, any suggestions?

Cheers

Jim

RAK.JPG

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 23, 2015

I would be surprise if no generic crystal could fit it. Last time I perused watch parts store they have almost all size with 1 mm increment, even in few size range, 0.5 mm increment.

Finding the right contour would be more challenging though since the curve sphere is bit different from original.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 23, 2015

The generics will fit. The part number is 25-12-5500. On the ones I have seen, the profile of the sides will be straighter than the original (top-hat vs. domed), but can be buffed down somewhat if you so choose. Might be easier to get an original.

4. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 23, 2015

There are dozens of different crystal profiles available as well. Cousins UK lists multiple domed ones, and in 0.1mm increment so there should be no real issue getting the right one. SternKreuz is the maker name.
    Catalog (extensive) here:Catalog

ElChanyungco likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 23, 2015

Personally, I would get an OEM crystal. The fit has to be just right or the crystal will not fit over the case properly, and the bezel might not tighten on the crystal properly...

I have tried generics and always come back to the OEM when possible...

marco and Nobody Move like this.
  6. michaelmc Apr 16, 2015

+1 use a Rolex service crystal to forgo problems later. m

7. speedbird Apr 16, 2015

A 5500 plexi doesn't cost much at all. Your local Rolex watchmaker can swap it out and retest quickly and easily.