Forums Latest Members

The Mother of all Franken Speedies. Need Help Identifying This Strange Dial

1. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 30, 2015

This watch just arrived and it is a very interesting assortment of parts. I think it contains parts from at least 6 different Speedies and I purchased it (cheap) because some are very useful for me to have. This Is the parts inventory as I see it and please correct me if I'm wrong

1) the case is a 105.012-66 CB in wonderful condition. Never polished, sharp and the special facets are just awesome. The pushers are also the short/fat pushers correct for this case. Months ago, not quite understanding the significance of these facets, I purchased a 105.012-66 with a polished case, reduced facets and the wrong pushers. This replacement case will be a welcome change.

2) the caseback is from a 145.012-67. The Seamonster is very pronounced. Always nice to have a spare, I guess.

3) Spare parts or donor movements are a good thing to have these days. The movement and chrono appear to be working well.....so far.

4) the 1039/516 bracelet is in fine condition and has 10 working springy links. This bracelet and extra links will find a home very quickly.

5) The crown is 24 point type A3 which was correct for a 145.022-69.

6) the crystal has the Omega emblem.

7) I'm no Mark II expert but I think the hands are correct for a Mark II. The chrono hand appears broken.

8) the bezel is a modern replacement. Luckily, the original 105.012-66 has a very nice correct DON bezel.

9) and lastly and most intriguing is the DIAL. It is a raised emblem, wide space T dial but it is FLAT. Normally, I am used to seeing this dial (which is quite common for the 145.012) as a stepped dial. This is very different and is not listed in MWO. Is it an early service dial? Here I need some help. The dial is actually in very nice condition but what is it??

image.jpg

image.jpg
    145.012-67 caseback

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Notice the awesome facets of this 105.012-66 CB case. Correct pushers. Strange hands. But what about this dial?? Looks nice enough but it should be raised not flat?? The emblem is also very close to OMEGA.

image.jpg
    Emblem appears to be factory applied. Not glued on after.

image.jpg
    Sharp!

image.jpg
    Facets are hard to photograph but a really pronounced. Dial lume is in good condition.

image.jpg image.jpg
    The wide spaced T marking are close to a 145.012 dial (B3 in MWO) but it appears to me that the 29 second mark on this dial, is slightly more toward the center of the D. Opinions please.

image.jpg
    Here is the new case(left) to replace the polished case on the right. Notice the difference in the pushers as well. The original does , however, have an awesome DON bezel. Together, I will have a very nice 105.012-66 CB. The 105.012-66 CB on the right has a narrow spaced T dial, which is rare, the movement number is 24959xxx which is in the correct range.

image.jpg
    Sharp

image.jpg
    A3, 24 point crown

Edited Oct 3, 2018
  2. flame Speedmaster Neil Jul 31, 2015

Hi

Could be good depending on the price you paid :)

Of course the Cal 321 could be from a similar period Seamaster (rather than Speedmaster)....and does that outer Caseback engraving look a bit weird ?

Best - Neil

gemini4 likes this.
  3. JohnSteed Jul 31, 2015

Nice pickup!

1. I agree with you, like the facets

2. Hippocampus does seem strange, like someone got tired and couldn't finish the engraving. Or is it unusually worn. Se it's missing the 'belt' over the midsection

3. Movement could be ok, would you want to get an extract to know if it's a speedy or Seamaster?

4. Cool bracelet ....

Not sure about the dial at first blush ....

gemini4 likes this.
  4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 31, 2015

gemini4 likes this.
  5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 31, 2015

So this is an Applied Metal Logo Sevice Dial. Thanks William, riddle solved. Do you know what era this is from? I presume this dial is somewhat rare. This news certainly improves the overall value of this "bucket of parts" Speedmaster.

6. blubarb Jul 31, 2015

I've got to say that there is something to learn everyday when it comes to Speedmasters! Just got the MWO book in yesterday's mail. Already a dozen pages in and I am riveted, so much more about Identifying is becoming clearer. I had no idea that AML service dials even existed I thought they were all painted logos. Does Omega still supply these service dials (non AML) with tritium or do they apply superluminova?

7. TNTwatch Jul 31, 2015

Only the bracelet has a wide demand base. Movement and midcase are helpful for those in need of these specific items. Dial is an uncommon service dial, but who needs a service dial? $2500 is a good deal when you need that midcase. Are you gonna grab that franken 2915-2 also?

8. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 31, 2015

Interesting Partsmaster! I think those hands could be from a cal. 321 or 861 Seamaster chronograph, but not a Mark II.

gemini4 likes this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 31, 2015

Nope on the 2915-2 and I happen to like this service dial and plan on using it........somewhere

10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 31, 2015

In regards to the wide space T service dial, I think it will look just fine when I receive this 105.012-66 HF. A bit of a project and this dial will do nicely. Or perhaps the existing dial is more suited to the watch. Decisions decisions.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131567185671&globalID=EBAY-USPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

11. TNTwatch Jul 31, 2015

What's wrong with the dial of that one?

12. michaelmc Jul 31, 2015

good thread with information for the project afflicted.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 31, 2015

I had a look, the only service dial with short indices and AML is this....

PC120043.jpg

blubarb, Tritium, flame and 2 others like this.
  14. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 31, 2015

Wow. Where did I put that blue marker??

15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 31, 2015

@Gemini4 , maybe yours will turn blue one day... ::stirthepot::

16. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 31, 2015

I believe tritium dials were discontinued due to radioactivity. Look at MWO's dial chapter for all the details.

17. blubarb Jul 31, 2015

Yes, thank you, I will check that out MWO. I thought the radiation emitted from tritium was so weak that it never raised any real concerns, after all it's a naturally found substance - no concern that is, outside of swallowing the stuff. "Tritium is found in trace amounts in groundwater as a by-product of air particles colliding with cosmic rays" (Google is my friend here) and "The radiation emitted from tritium does not travel very far in air and cannot penetrate the skin". Perhaps a physicist can enlighten us. Heading to the MWO after I click on "reply" :)

18. Fost Jul 31, 2015

This dial is rare but seen several time on various pre-moon. Not sure we can call it a service dial but maybe. I have even seen a chocolate one several years ago.

gemini4 likes this.
  19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 1, 2015

I think it is safe to call all short indices service dials rare.

Also painted logo service dials, with long or short indices, wide and narrow space T markings can be called rare.
    This is because I simply do not see many - the original dials are seen much more in sales watches than these service dials.

However rarity does not automatically bestow value.

I think some of the service dials have aged particularly well, and for aficionados provide a lovely look for less money than the original.

To be clear, I am talking only about service dials with T markings.

20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 1, 2015