Forums Latest Members

The many definitions and meanings of "all original" we see on eBay

1. alam Jun 1, 2012

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 1, 2012

Always, always, always: Caveat Emptor.
    Supplemental to this: Buy the Seller.

3. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2012

The big tip-off on that watch is the condition of the dial does not match the condition of the movement, hands, and case back medallion.

"Original" is the hardest to prove. Unless you are the original owner and have never had the watch serviced there's no way you can be 100% sure the watch is original, and the more popular and expensive the brand the worse the odds since there's money to be made.

"Authentic" is a bit easier to be confident of. If you know what movement(s) go inside what case reference(s) and use which crown(s), dial(s) and hands, you can figure out if the watch has the right parts. Just be aware of the decent fakes coming out of Vietnam and other areas - but that's why we have Hoi. ;)

4. alam Jun 1, 2012

This is the answer I received from the Seller when asked if this was a redial.....

"Hi, Thank you for your interest in my OMEGA Constellation~pie-pan Dial - As stated in the description: the dial is ORIGINAL (not refinished).
    -I have been collecting watches for over 30 years!" - Rgds
    D.

:thumbsdown:

5. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2012

Even if it is an original finish on the dial, it doesn't mean the dial is original to the watch.

6. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2012

Even if - and that's a low probability - the dial has the original finish, it doesn't mean the dial is original to the watch.

7. Steve Jun 1, 2012

You can buy new 'original' dials, hands, crowns etc.. so you can have a 60's watch that looks new and correct, but would you call the watch original ??.

8. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2012

The only way a complete watch is original is if it came together with all the same parts from the factory. Otherwise it would be correct and authentic if the proper factory replacement parts were used.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 5, 2012

I suspect the dial on the watch is not in as good a condition as it "appears" in the photographs. However the minute marker appear to be inconsistently applied