Forums Latest Members
  1. John R Smith Oct 30, 2013

I don't quite know how this happens, but I've gone and done it again. Despite running the Smith bank account dangerously low with my last vintage Omega (the 18k 2445) I kind of got sucked in despite myself by yet another bit of eBay browsing.

You see, I always rather fancied the centre-second version of the 30 T2 movement because - well, just because, I suppose. And I wanted a stainless steel cased watch again because I don't actually have one, having sold my 1962 Seamaster. And I am really rather hooked on this 2-4-6-8-10-12 dial variation at the moment. Most importantly, the collecting theme is now firmly focused on the period 1946 to 1955. No exceptions.

So when this 1952 ref 2608 cal 283 turned up on my screen I tried very hard to resist, I really did -

2608 Dial-2-web.jpg

Yes, I know that the dial has some patina. Well, OK, make that a lot of patina. I'm not really sure whether the elegant lugs, the gold hands and the diamond hour batons are going to make up for that, just yet. The 283 movement looks pretty decent, though -

2608 Mvt-web.jpg

The copper plating looks to be intact, and the other way I judge it is by the screw head slots which are not chewed up, and that is usually a good omen. So, this latest indiscretion will shortly be on it's way to me from Romania of all places. Wish me luck, chaps, this could all go horribly wrong, yet again . . .;)

P.S. These are the seller's photos, of course, not mine.

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 30, 2013

A wonderfully bulletproof 30 T2 movement in a series that has the Breguet overcoil hairsping.

There is an awful lot of watch in this purchase, so in terms of indiscretions this one would not exceed that of a small fart in a crowded lift :)

Cheers

Desmond

John R Smith likes this.
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 30, 2013

I wonder if you would be so kind as to review the entire Indiscretion Rating Scale for the membership? I know I'm curious. :D

CdnWatchDoc likes this.
  4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 30, 2013

I think buying a pre-moon Speedie with the proceeds of a pre-teen daughter's Piggy Bank without her knowing would be near the top of the list, an horological indiscretion comparable with wearing board shorts and singing "I'm in the money" at one's father's funeral. I'm sure others can add to the lexicon.

5. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2013

Spending the money that was earmarked for an important anniversary gift for your wife on a watch is up there too. Roughly equivalent to giving her a bowling ball that's drilled to fit your fingers ala Homer Simpson.

Privateday7 and John R Smith like this.
  6. Dablitzer Oct 30, 2013

That's a nice score Mr Smith! Lovely case and I like the dial too, especially when coupled with what looks like rose coloured markers! :cool:

7. John R Smith Oct 30, 2013

Thank you, Alex. I'm not sure whether the gold hands and markers will be pink or not, until I get the watch. The seller's photos are all over the place on colour balance. But you are right, this 2608 case is one of the nicest of the cal 283 variants.

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 30, 2013

Great score, you're lucky I didn't see that one. :D

Sub seconds version - 2605.

28888-e5992319ed1aad91056321505852175c.jpg

jinson and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  9. simon Oct 30, 2013

Here is one from the same series.

max2.jpg
    rhetoric and John R Smith like this.
  10. John R Smith Oct 30, 2013

That's very nice, Norm, a guilloche dial into the bargain. Some of these lesser known (not Seamaster or Constellation) Omegas are really rather classy. The high street jeweller of the 1950s seems to have been faced with a bewildering array of variations on dials, cases and movements. How on earth did they choose which ones to carry as stock?

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 30, 2013

A lovely watch. And as for the patina, well I love it.

The skill with choosing a watch is deciding that a certain "degradation" is in fact a beguiling attraction, not a fault.

We can all see when something is perfect - it takes taste, judgement, and sometimes a little bravery to say "here is a patinated watch, and I like it better!"

Good choice, cant wait to see your photos when it arrives

12. John R Smith Oct 30, 2013

To digress - these computer mail tracking systems are just brilliant, aren't they? TNT informs me that my watch has just left Bucharest - somewhere out there on a dark, wet, European night, my package is in the back of a truck pounding down a Romanian motorway. Gosh, it's just so romantic - I can hear Taj Mahal in the background now, with "Six Days on the Road" ::love::

Dablitzer likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2013

Watch out for Dracula.

John R Smith likes this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 30, 2013

Be a good idea to get it checked for loose parts on receipt , I nearly went nuts travelling on those concrete slab roads in Slovakia/Czech Republic etc.
    It's OK when they're all level, but since the Russkies left a lot of them have degraded into a bumpity bump obstacle course :confused:

15. John R Smith Oct 30, 2013

Let's hope they have bubblewrap in Romania . . .

;)

16. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2013

I do. And I know how to stop it too!

…. but why would you want to?

17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 30, 2013

Nice score......I love the pink gold dial furnitures and diamond shaped markers.

18. CdnWatchDoc Oct 30, 2013

That is great Dennis, trying to support his habit and enable him at the same time...Talent!

Just join the rest of us over at the WA session..."Hello, my name is John, I am a watchaholic. My last watch purchase was 12 hours ago..."

John R Smith and rhetoric like this.
  19. JM251 Oct 30, 2013

Sharp watch. That would be a nice daily wearer.

20. timeismoney Oct 30, 2013

Well said, Sir!