Forums Latest Members

The infamous "why would you spend so much on a watch?!" question....

1. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 20, 2015

Hi all,

So, I completely understand why I would and why everyone else on these forums would spend over $500 on a watch. BUT, 95% of people don't get it.

I've had plenty of people say, "Oh jeez, that's an Omega? How much was that?" Literally, every time I have told them the actual price, I'm pretty sure I hear a brick drop inside their pants, and then they say, "Whoa... Wh-wh-why would you pay so much for a watch?" And, honestly, I feel like I could only make them understand if I sat their and explained the complexity of watch movements, the history of the brand, the heritage of that particular watch, a brief rundown of luxury goods in our economy, and my view on what "overpriced" means. Do you guys feels the same way?

I don't want to make it seem as if I care that much, because I don't – it just gets a little annoying by having the uniform sh**ing bricks response when I talk about my watches with people.

I guess I just get frustrated with people, and I don't really know how to concisely make a logical statement explaining why I would pay that much for a watch. Usually, I'm just honest and I say I buy them because I love and appreciate watches, and I view them as little pieces of art that you can wear on your wrist instead of pin on your wall or display on a table (which, you could do as well if it floats your boat).

And one quick tangent on overpriced: if a good is overpriced, then very few, if no one, will buy it. Any luxury watch, be it $5,000 or $50,000, isn't overpriced if people are willingly buy it. Tell that to someone next time they say watches are overpriced ;)

Again, I'm not self-conscious about what people think about my watch endeavors, I'm just wondering if there is an effective response that doesn't take 20 minutes to communicate to the other person about why you enjoy expensive watches. Maybe, "because I like it" would suffice. :)

watchme and nickgr like this.
  2. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2015

Screw'em. :taunt:

Why spend $500 on a Coach bag? Why spend $1000+ on a bespoke suit? Why have a month's income tied up in video game equipment? Ask them what their hobby / passion is and why they spend outrageous sums on it and maybe they'll understand.

The best answer: Because you can!

Noisy Nova, watchme, tpatta and 2 others like this.
  3. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 20, 2015

So he asked me... "Why in God's name would you spend $2,500 on that Omega? It's just a watch!"

As a light breeze hit my hair, I slowly pulled down my Persols to look him in the eye. "Because I can", I said.

I then got into my F430 and drove off into the sunset with a gorgeous blonde by my side.

Rallis, OmegaRookie, lerxst and 2 others like this.
  4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 20, 2015

Its the opportunity to own a piece of art or jewellery that also happens to be a fabulous piece of engineering, often with a lot of history attached.

Its also a status symbol and personal "bling" for many.

If you want a time piece for simple function, you buy a quartz watch for 20 to 120 bucks, or a cell phone. A fine mechanical watch is something far more, like fine wine, jewellery, art or high end or vintage automobiles..... you get it or you don't. Everybody has their drug, ours is watches. Next time someone asks you why, ask them what they own or collect that costs them a lot and does little more than make them happy, compare it to that..... if they still don't get it run away, because you're just overloading their poor brain and they're likely not worth talking to anyway.

watchme, Old and Vintage and ffej4 like this.
  5. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2015

When asked about his expensive watch, someone once said "You can't drive your Ferrari into the board room." :p

There's a certain percent of status involved, more for some and less for others. I'd prefer to NOT have my watch recognized unless you're a fellow watch nut.

However, the "bling" factor rings true. Men don't get many accessories, and a nice watch is important. I've never seen a Timex Ironman on the wrist of a guy who forks out the money for quality shoes & clothes. Sunglasses too - gotta have the shades.

SFL, watchme, Burder and 5 others like this.
  6. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 20, 2015

All good points, guys. Thank you. :)

7. bronxbomber252 Feb 20, 2015

The same reason one who appreciates art spends thousands on original painting instead of a cheap print, or one who appreciates high performance cars buys a sports car instead of an economy car, so on and so forth.

watchme and ffej4 like this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 20, 2015

My favorite thing to do is to baffle 'em further with a simple and accurate response that, nonetheless, tends to sail right over their heads:

Because all fiat currencies become worthless over time, and, unlike such currencies, fine vintage watches (paintings and cars, etc.) cannot be conjured up with the stroke of a computer key.

The looks of bewilderment are priceless.

Spacefruit, watchme and ffej4 like this.
  9. micampe Feb 20, 2015

I'm not sure that is true though. Most of the value watches have is just because we attribute it to them, not because a watch with a red label instead of white is inherently more useful or valuable, just like fiat. You might argue that the interests behind the two are vastly different, and I will agree with that.

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 20, 2015

I'm not clear what it is that you are disagreeing with. The distinction that I stated is factually true, and important. Now, if you want to argue that fine watches and paintings, etc., have far less intrinsic value than their market values, and that therefore belief or perception plays a role in increasing their values, I don't disagree. But a Rembrandt is worth vastly more than the work of a lesser artist, and a Patek Philippe far more than a Timex for many reasons, some of which relate directly to quality. Also, the best *things* which cannot be reproduced have increased greatly in value over a very long periods of time, underscoring that they are far better stores of value than currencies, which are invariably degraded by those who issue them.

11. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 20, 2015

I'm guessing you're an economics guy! Am I right?! :D

12. micampe Feb 20, 2015

Yes, I was referring to the intrinsic value. Currency has value because we decided so, and so does Rembrandt.

13. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 20, 2015

exactly. Same with gold... and you can not wear it on your wrist :D

14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 20, 2015

Sports cars and vintage watches - guaranteed to keep the bank balance low - trust me, I know:
    F430.jpg

I'll tell her that you think she's gorgeous but I think the blonde bit is chemically enhanced.

citizenrich, ricardorio and ffej4 like this.
  15. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 20, 2015

I... I want to be you in 15 years.

Stewart H likes this.
  16. micampe Feb 20, 2015

You should get a car the same age of the watch for better matching.

17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 20, 2015

I'd swap you now.:(

ffej4 likes this.
  18. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 20, 2015

I'd happily trade you my Subaru Impreza for the F430! Is that a fair trade? ;)

19. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 20, 2015

I've been chasing a Dino for half my life. When I could afford £30k for a car, they were £50k. When I could afford £60k, they were £75k. I came close last time when I could have run to £100k but they were £110. Now they've gone ballistic and shot out of my range, once again.

20. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 20, 2015

Only if you can throw in the regression in years as well.:D

ffej4 and dougiedude like this.