Forums Latest Members

The high price of oil ...

1. sheepdoll Aug 25, 2022

IMG_3368.png
    Drove over to Otto Frei this afternoon to pick up a few things. I decided to get the Bergeon starter oil kit as the stuff I have is at least 20 years old. Bit pricey, but cheaper than getting the bottles individually, and it comes in a rather nice storage case. I also got the small 4039 movement holder, as I acquired a few ladies sized movements in the last week or so.

Otto Frei is only 17 miles from where I live. Sadly they no longer do walk in sales. They do however offer curbside pickup. So I saved a few bucks on shipping. One has to satisfy that immediate gratification. If I calculate things right, the round trip would be 34 miles, which should be about 1 gallon of gas and about 2 hours of driving as there was moderate traffic.

I also placed an order earlier in the week with Esslinger as they have a better website than Frei, although their prices are a bit higher.

Ironically I found a set of incabloc settings for 5.69USD. These are 'for practice.' They come in packages of 5 which is a great deal compared to what people want for a single spring on eBay.

-j

2. noless Aug 26, 2022

nice haul, I wish my local watchmakers supply store had those sets, I'm glad to see the 4039 works for you too!

noelekal likes this.
  3. vibe Sep 3, 2022

I bought some oils a while back and was pretty shocked about the short shelf life.

4. sheepdoll Sep 3, 2022

One of my old textbooks states the oil will last a long time. I do have stuff from 25 or so years ago, which does not have the dates on the bottles. On the other hand the new stuff is only a tiny amount about 1/10 of the old stuff 2ML vs 20ML. The new stuff also has colored dyes to tell what oil and grease goes where.

I did have a bottle of 'Chronometer' oil which has since dried out. I always liked the packaging. Who knows how old this was when I got it sometime in the last century.
    IMG_3387.png

-j

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal Sep 3, 2022

It’s funny how we balk at the price of little tiny containers like this, but in terms of scale of use it’s like gallons.
    I still have a bottle of Photoflo I bought during the Clinton administration- first term. 5-10 drops at a time…I don’t think I’ll ever see the bottom of that bottle.

sheepdoll likes this.