Forums Latest Members

The Great Movement Debate/Discussion

1. jrhave2 Apr 19, 2017

I've seen many threads on individual movements, but I would love to see a discussion around what movement some of you prefer, and why. In my search for bargains I have started narrowing down lesser-know (or desired) brands that used phenomenal movements in their watches, and targeting those for purchase. Of course everyone knows about the Valjoux 72, the Zenith El Primero, and the Lemania 2310 (Omega Cal 321), but there are other movements that pockets of collectors will scream are the best (Seiko 6139/6138).

One movement in particular was fascinating to me as I did more research - the ever-popular Valjoux 7750 seems to be incredibly polarizing. Some swear by it and own several, but there are just as many who hate the movement and decry it's "vibration" and the fact that it has a few common mechanical issues. One of my favorite watches lately has been a vintage Tissot I have with a Lemania 1341 movement, which seems to be overshadowed by the Lemania 5100 which is more simple and reliable. The design of the 5100 is far less elegant than others mentioned here, but it's an absolute workhorse.

Given that I've only been researching movements specifically for a month or so, I'd love to hear what you prefer and target for ownership. Maybe we can even get some of the watchmakers here to comment (calling @Archer ?).

**Pictures were sourced from Google...not my own**

El Primero Movement.jpg Lemania 1341.jpg Valjoux 72.jpg Valjoux 7750.jpg

Edited Apr 19, 2017