Forums Latest Members
  1. Gaz6263 Jul 28, 2014

2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 28, 2014

IMHO, A legit 2004 service receipt from Omega shouldn't dramatically diminish the value of a watch like this.

my likely faulty logic goes something like this: 2004 is a full decade ago and I'd bet Omega had all original replacement parts for this watch on hand. So, even though the dial and hands were service replacements, they very likely were tooled and produced at the same time the original watch was put together. If everything in the watch is original and was assembled by Omega, then you start getting involved with distinctions and not really differences.

I would go over that service receipt like a forensics expert...

3. bieb1 Jul 28, 2014

As citizenrich says, make sure you see & study the Omega service receipt. If it does not show case and movement numbers and does not specify the replacement of dial, hands and bezel, I suggest to run away fast. These watches - just like their 300M sibling - were extensively faked or re-created from NOS replacement parts that were abundantly available at the time. These latter watches look like the real deal, but are of course not originally Omega-made.

Shady characters figured out that getting these watches serviced by Omega would "authenticate" them and it appears that this may have happened for a while until Omega Bienne caught wind of it and stopped the practice.

So having a complete record is essential before parting with large sums of money.

Dogmann and citizenrich like this.
  4. sulaco Jul 28, 2014

i wouldnt go for it, it has the early service dial with the small indices at 12 o clock, meanwhile Omega produces one that
    looks like the orginal one with the large plots

[​IMG]

c/o googlesearch

The bezel is also a servicepart, everything on this watch is Luminova.
    The only way to know if this is an orginal 1000m is to get an extract of records.
    Getting the original Tritium dial and bezel is a long journey, i got some hands left thou. ;)

It took me years to get this original one and it was a hell of a job to part it from the original owners grandson.

[​IMG]

For the 1000m in the bay, if you really want it you have to expect a price around 3,5k € and you have to hope
    that it is not a put together.

Dogmann and cristos71 like this.
  5. Gaz6263 Jul 28, 2014

6. sulaco Jul 28, 2014

That is the recent Luminova Service dial, no vintage Tritium. After all it surely looks better as the current dial.
    Swapping the dial is not so easy for a non professional, but a watchmaker who knows what to do can surely change it.

7. bieb1 Jul 28, 2014

Tough call, since it is your money and will require some not-so-cheap surgery to change dials. If you really like the watch and plan to wear it, it may be worth the money to you now. But when the time comes to sell it again, you will face the same questions being raised today. And it is unlikely that watches like this one, with all the parts having been replaced, will appreciate much in value, at least not for collectors. So if you see this as a "vintage" investment, I think it you are taking a big risk.

8. Gaz6263 Jul 28, 2014

I see what your saying, trouble is even the so called NOS ones coming from Switzerland are making this kind of money if not more. Think i'll see what the service papers say and then come back to the forum.

9. Dogmann Jul 28, 2014

Hi Gaz6263,

I was in a similar position to you recently in wanting to get a nice vintage Omega dive watch and my only advice would be that patience really does pay off in the end. I was also amazed at all the so called NOS examples around and whilst they may look great and offer that brand new look they IMO really are missing the originality and character of a true vintage piece. Others and maybe even yourself may feel differently and of course we should all only do what suits each of best. But at least you appear to be clear on what you want and seeking advice before you act is always a good start IMO good luck on your hunt.

Marc

10. Gaz6263 Jul 28, 2014

I've heard back from the seller who confirms the bezel hands and dial are mentioned on the service papers. Unfortunately he says there's no mention of the serial numbers. I think i'll leave it and keep looking for something more original.

11. sulaco Jul 28, 2014

:thumbsup: good idea