Forums Latest Members
  1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 7, 2015

Ever seen somebody write that they are looking for a nice Bi-Compax chronograph?

As all dyed in the wool UG addicts know, 'Compax' refers to the number of complications, not the number of subdials. Here's a reference for the use of the term 'Compax' and its derivatives. It probably won't do a thing to promote correct usage, but for the record:

Uni-Compax. Note that there are two dials. This is not a Bi-Compax. There is no Bi-Compax.

Uni-Compax.JPG

Compax. Note three subdials. This is not a Tri-Compax.

Compax.jpg

This is a Tri-Compax. Note four subdials. This is not a Quadri-Compax.

Tri-Compax.jpg

The whole declension:
    Trio.JPG

Edited Dec 3, 2015
    Mark020, theblotted, J-Luc and 23 others like this.
  2. khmt2 Nov 7, 2015

So lovely! ::love:: Dibs on all 3! :p

So what does compur mean then, and why the subsequent change to compax?

3. wsfarrell Nov 7, 2015

amo, amas, amat........

CanberraOmega and timjohn like this.
  4. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 7, 2015

Isn't it great to own watches you can give lessons on! :D All in incredible condition.:thumbsup:

5. NT931 Nov 7, 2015

As someone who has loosely and incorrectly used 'Bi-Compax' in the past, guilty as charged!
    And that is an awesome trio of Compaxes. ::love::

6. ELV web Nov 8, 2015

LoUs, how do you feel about the latest Philips watch result? I mean I know you detest the senseless price rise but that shouldn't be totally unwelcoming given the above and the many more you have?

As I would always say, I am not a collector and more like just hanging around. I would say I am a bit sad that I had a few misses in the past and with the current prices (the recent gold tri-compax I posted on eBay UG thread, I actually got the seller to lower down the price a bit but he pulled the listing this morning :p), they look unattainable now but I am also not feeling overly bad because some of the pieces I picked up along the way also appreciated in value, not that I would ever sell them (I have yet to sell one, and sometimes i pretend to just to please my Wife ;p ). But from a serious collector perspective, ain't this a good thing?

7. ConElPueblo Nov 8, 2015

...This was really just to show off your UGs, wasn't it?

Heartless bastard.

Larry S likes this.
  8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 8, 2015

Compur is Old High Universalese for Uni-Compax. I suspect the name changed to bring the model into line with the nomenclature for the whole range when it became based on 'Compax' as the root word.

'zackly!

So have we all at one time or another. I remember when I was a new collector thinking "Why don't these dopes just say two subdial watch?" In fact, looking for the meaning of 'compax' is what led me to UG.

You are forgiven. Recite M4tt's eBay creed 10 times and sin no more.

I'm very sad. It's made it about money. It used to be about what appealed to you, and the development of a connoisseur's eye. Those two subjects drove a very rewarding interaction with fellow collectors that was at the heart of the hobby. Swapping and flipping watches was also integral to that. Now, its about anticipating the next model to pop on the auction circuit and planning investments. I've done well out of it, but it doesn't make me happy.

Gatsby, aap, khmt2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 8, 2015

And what's the plural?

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 8, 2015

Compaxes. 3rd declension.

11. alam Nov 8, 2015

Nice trio! ::love:: I'm standing in line for Uni ;)

12. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 8, 2015

Gorgeous pieces! I never really considered these Universal Geneves but have been liking them more as of lately.

13. x3no Nov 8, 2015

Such perfect pieces, and in excellent condition. I'm starting to feel that the current collectors just getting started are at a huge disadvantage, from those who started years ago. Finding pieces like these would be near impossible at the prices @LouS likely paid for them. They do still show up but not nearly as often, and hardly ever for a bargain.

Oh, and thanks for the lesson. I've never called it a "bi-compax" but it's good to know why they were named the way they were :thumbsup:

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 8, 2015

That's they way I feel about the guys who started collecting before me. Think how lucky you are in comparison to the guys who start a year or three form now.

For the record, I'm still buying. ;)

x3no, aap and ELV web like this.
  15. aap Nov 8, 2015

This is how I feel. It gets worse when I stumble upon older UG listings and see how the prices were at least 20-40% lower than they are now :-(

x3no likes this.
  16. NT931 Nov 8, 2015

Yeah, I can't figure out prices of UG any more :thumbsdown:

I found a SS Uni-Compax on ebay Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Networkwhich wasn't a redial (though the crown was wrong). I consulted 2 other forumers (thanks E & M!), put in a Gixen snipe, but got outsniped Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Networktoday and didn't win. :(

I had put in a bid of EUR2260 (about USD2450), so was this too low for this SS Uni-Compax with a wrong crown? What are the rough prices now? Looks like my price expectations need recalibrating... sigh

17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 8, 2015

Not even stainless steel - chromed nickel case. And I bid lower than you, so that shows you how much I know.

18. rahilb Nov 9, 2015

I was watching this too, good to know it was a decent example... Didn't realise the crown was a replacement though. It was actually looking a good price until the last 2 minutes of bidding

19. NT931 Nov 9, 2015

Yup, in the last 5min the price went from EUR712 to the final price of EUR2270. Everyone was sniping.