Forums Latest Members

The golden goose: after a decade of trying I finally have my missing Megaquartz

1. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 16, 2015

Evening all

Well, I will do my very best to avoid my usual diatribe and cut to the chase that for the 10 years or so I have been collecting there has been a watch I have wanted, tried for and always missed. It was never an easy mission as Omega only made approximately 200 of them and I have seen at least 20 scrapped over that time.

Anyway, a little while back I was contacted through the forum to offer some advise on an Omega Megaquartz owned by a chap called Ali (who is now a great friend) and was bought new by his dad in 1975 in Finland. We communicated for a little while about getting his dad watch repaired but he decided it wasn't for him, we couldn't let the watch get scrapped so I mustered up every penny I could get my hands on and bought it (the case and caseback are over 90 grams of 18K gold).

The watch was original on BCT but the bracelet was beyond reasonable salvage so I bought the head only, in need of a motor, a circuit, a service (£1500 worth of work) and took the leap of faith, today I went to STS and collected this from their sister company Swiss Tec, although it lightened my wallet somewhat it has finally completed my Megaquartz collection and I must say, although no exactly understated, she is a beauty.

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice a small crack on the dial from the bottom left of the date window, although I do have a NOS dial the sparkle on this one is amazing and I wanted to remain true to the watches originality, plus the dial has one of the most amazing sparkles there is (which was revealed after I spent two hours cleaning it by hand)

IMG_6532.jpg

The case has just come back beautifully, Swiss Tec have done a superb job of recovering it without losing material and getting back the original profile.

IMG_6533.jpg

I also just love the shark skin band with original GP buckle

IMG_6535.jpg

But the best part of it is the sheer joy of it being on my wrist, admittedly it's by no means understated or subtle but it is absolutely 'me'

IMG_6537.jpg

2. ketiljo Feb 16, 2015

Wow Tom, that is truly a beauty! Congratulations! Can we see them all please?

oddboy likes this.
  3. Davidt Feb 16, 2015

Awesome, congratulations!

Have you got any before pics?

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 16, 2015

Yes, all together would be a treat!

5. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 16, 2015

Indeed

The case has come back really well, unfortunately the BCT was heavily worn and the interlinks were worn beyond salvage, plus I do much prefer these on leather, shark or croc

IMG_6286.JPG

Davidt likes this.
  6. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 16, 2015

I will get a group shot when I get back home for everyone, there are a couple out for service currently but I am sure I can muster up a nice group shot :thumbsup:

7. Norfolk Feb 16, 2015

Lovely stuff. Got the box for it yet?!!! Let's see them all together please.

8. RCAFBuster Feb 16, 2015

A wonderful restoration and I look forward to your group shot.

9. x3no Feb 16, 2015

What an awesome story! Congrats on your success and staying steadfast through the years.. It takes a real collector to stick with it and not quit from discouragement after that long of a period. Great looking watch too!!

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 16, 2015

Love it

11. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 17, 2015

Thanks chaps, here are a couple of nicer pics taken this morning and a group shot of the ones I collected from STS/ Swiss etc yesterday

IMG_6571.JPG IMG_6572.JPG IMG_6573.JPG

rogart, UncleBuck, michael e and 2 others like this.
  12. tyrantlizardrex Feb 17, 2015

Much want. So sexy. Very Cool. Such Awesome.

13. lwong Feb 17, 2015

Lovely. Looking forward to the group shot.

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 17, 2015

Very interesting watch :thumbsup:

15. goedie Feb 17, 2015

stunning dial,
    guess that piece has some fabulous wrist presence

16. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 18, 2015

It certainly does, it's had a lot of wrist time in the last couple of days, although it is sharing it with the other equally big chunk I collected and in the trio picture, my Megaquartz F2.4 Prototype

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 18, 2015

Such a pretty dial the aventurine

18. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Feb 18, 2015

Wow that dial! The case looks like a bar of gold that must have some serious wrist presence. If you wear that every day I'm guessing you must be either a Colombian drug lord (Escobar?) or an international rap star. Be careful you don't drop it on your foot it would smash your toes off.
    That is a serious watch my friend.

19. heman By the Power of Greyskull! Feb 19, 2015

They say that you need to donate a gold bar to the woman's family in order to marry her. I'd put off the marriage and keep the watch :p

20. lillatroll Feb 19, 2015

The first omega watch I bought was a Geneva megaquartz f32. I got it fram a jewler in LA while I was on holiday. It had been sitting at the back of the safe for nearly 40 years. I did not have an original bracelet but I put a NOs leather one on it. I love it and will never part with it. Nice collection you have there.