Forums Latest Members

The GMT Dilemma - The Unicorn

1. av8ffej Sep 14, 2017

I have been on the hunt for a GMT for a LONG time. It appears to me at this point, that it isn't a grail hunt, but a unicorn hunt. Like many of you, the hunt for my next kill is a series of compromises that are set by the wayside as I laser in on “The One.” I'm trying not to let the compromises creep back in.

For this quest, I’ve largely set aside brand proclivity and cast a wider net and I’m still really struggling with this. And here’s why – I’ve set up an insanely narrow line of check boxes. Most of my travel is to Europe or within the US, but there are the occasional trips to more “exotic” places like India. So here’s the check boxes:

1. 38-40mm. Will entertain 41. No bigger

2. Cost sub-$3k. Ideally $2k or below. Logic being that I don’t want to lament my fate if something should happen to it while overseas.

3. Movement should be automatic, unless an insanely compelling quartz should reveal itself.

4. The brand/model should be something that when you are trying on watches in a store and take it off and put it on the velvet tray, the clerk says “That’s a nice piece.” A member’s admission card, as it were. (I freely admit my vanity) This rule can be suspended for a real watch geek’s watch – if Ming had a GMT, for example.

5. The “home time” would ideally be in a date aperture, not a GMT hand pointing to the bezel or 4pt font numbers on the dial. Examples that support this rule being the Nomos Tangomat, Hamilton Khaki and the Ulysses GMT Big Date. Dual time watches such as the Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece MP6707-xx are fair game. Super easy to glance at home time is the goal here.

6. Preferably not be a vintage (pre-1985) piece. Finicky/quirky is not what I’m looking to travel with.

Challenges with some of the ones that will inevitably leap to most people’s minds:

The Sub-$1k Seikos that I’ve fawned over violate either checkbox 1 or 4. I currently have a modded SKX that has a GMT movement but the numbers are so small that I need a loupe to read them. Middle age! [shakes fist at sky]

Hamiton – Everything I’ve seen is 42mm

Love the Farer, but violates box 5, and some would argue 4.

I will say that I am seriously entertaining the Great White despite the violation of box 5, although this quest requires for the moment and this post, that I stick to my guns. Those sexy Omegas are always in the running!

Recap:

40mm automatic, below $3k with GMT in a window that has some “case cred” when dropping in on a watch shop.

Looking forward to hearing your insights!

D.D. and Longbow like this.
  2. sdre Sep 14, 2017

Like you, i am too on a hunt for a GMT while my Tudor is OHPF. I have my eye on Halios watches and they will be making a GMT with ETA movement and its slated to be around 700-800 USD (i think). But that's me, i don't mind microbrands.

Longbow likes this.
  3. av8ffej Sep 14, 2017

Great suggestion. Love Halios and certainly don't have a problem with micros. The challenge here is the size (I thought I read it would be a 43?) and the GMT pointer. +1 for a solid brand though! Thanks for the reminder!

4. sdre Sep 14, 2017

according to the responses;

av8ffej likes this.
  5. sxl2004 Sep 14, 2017

JLC worldtime new Basel edition.
    A bit pricier though, but worth it.

av8ffej likes this.
  6. av8ffej Sep 14, 2017

A bit. :unsure: Damn nice watch though!

sxl2004 likes this.