Forums Latest Members

The Gerald Genta inspired Seiko models

1. Pascal S Jan 2, 2023

My dad's grail watch was the original AP Royal Oak, but he never went as far as getting one, even when he could afford it. Instead, he usually wore Seiko and Breitling watches. After he died, I was surprised to find this watch in his collection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was immediately intrigued by the obvious design similarities between this modest quartz model and the iconic Gerald Genta design. And upon researching the topic, I quickly found out that the Swiss genius had collaborated with Seiko as a consultant in the late 70s and early 80s. Among other things, this directly resulted in the rare Credor Locomotive in 1979 designed by Genta.
    [​IMG]
    But as evidence by my dad's watch, Genta's influence went further than this rather exclusive model, and I've since seen several models who could conceivably claim having a bit of that distinguished DNA.

As for my dad's watch, for many years I was denied the pleasure of wearing it because it's bracelet was too tight. It's only this year that I finally found a donor watch allowing me to cannibalize a few spare links. And I can now wear his "cheap Royal Oak" without having my left hand turning blue.
    [​IMG]

Any of you have other examples of Gerald Genta inspired Seiko watches to share?

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 2, 2023

Cool thread. Lets see some better pics of that Credor.

3. timjohn Jan 3, 2023

Have to admit that I’m not a fan of any of Gerald Genta’s designs, but quite like this 7A38-7020 Seiko 7A38-7020 Royal Oak.JPG

4. snunez Jan 3, 2023

Was the choice of map location just a coincidence?

janice&fred and timjohn like this.
  5. MikeFields77 Jan 3, 2023

Truly good gems that harken back to the 1970s.
    You can see the Genta DNA all over these pieces.
    Enjoy them in good health.

6. janice&fred Jan 3, 2023

Cool watch. To me it resembles 70's TV dialed Omegas, especially the bracelet design. Even if Genta hadn't collaborated with Seiko on some styles, I doubt it would have prevented them from taking a page out of his book style-wise. Seiko is an equal opportunity thief of styles, as their Datejust clones make evident.

7. UWG Jan 3, 2023

My 4336-8120 from 1978.

IMG_1551.jpg
    Foo2rama and McKinley like this.
  8. timjohn Jan 3, 2023

Spent a long time living in Asia and love maps, but no particular significance in choice of background in this shot.

snunez likes this.
  9. snunez Jan 4, 2023

Me too! I'm currently in Singapore; thought you might be here too.