Forums Latest Members
  1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 2, 2018

My father lived in NYC for almost my entire life, and I lived on Long Island for many years. So, I know the city quite well. There are, of course, many things to dislike about it, not least of which are noise, dirt, and a crumbling infrastructure. But there has long been something very special, positive, and unique about the city, and this short video documentary captures the essence of it extremely well. Not only are the production values superb, but it provides one of the very best illuminations of the bright side of multiculturalism, and the melting pot that is New York City, that I have ever come across.

If you have the option, play it full-screen on a PC, rather than on a small phone screen.

Edited Sep 2, 2018
    Caliber561, Kmart, alam and 24 others like this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 2, 2018

WOW, thanks for sharing. Some amazingly inspirational people and stories. This reminds me that there is still reason to be proud about being an American.

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 2, 2018

Welcome to NYC.

Now get the fuck out.

Love,

15th generation New Yorker

Kmart, bazamu, Mad Dog and 6 others like this.
  4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 2, 2018

In my lifetime, NYC has transformed from the most violent 1st world city in the world (and, almost every city /period on the planet). How many 13 year olds do you know who were witness to double shotgun murders and and 2 others executions? I was states witness for the shotgun murders. Did you know human brains are actually a yellow-ish white material until the cells get fully oxygenated which takes longer to happen than I would've ever thought.

It's really remarkable. Whether you love him or hate him, Rudy Giuliani proved that where's there's a will, there's a way. If there was any other correlation for the precipitous drop in violence crime (demographics, abortions, economics, whatever), then nyc's transformation would have been replicated in other similar metro areas like Detroit, Baltimore and Chicago.

Nope, just NYC. Rudy (cause) = almost crime free (correlation).

I'm a bit prejudiced because as those here who know me, know, my family (dad, uncles and brother) is/are/were big bosses in the NYPD ( the largest and most effective paramilitary force in the world).

George.A, Nathan1967 and dougiedude like this.
  5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 2, 2018

I only had time for the first 5 minutes, but it's an awesome video! I've been going to NYC every year for a week, and I always look forward to it, for just the things you mentioned, and to enjoy the diversity of culture and believe it or not, the friendliness of most all of the people...

Thanks for sharing this, Tony!

Trouble getting it to go full screen, so I suppose Ill search it on Vimeo once I get back from lunch...

I bought a wonderful book that many are probably already familiar with, but it portrays the wonderful people of NYC in photos extremely well also, and is also highly recommended: 'Humans of New York'..

mydeafcat and Tony C. like this.
  6. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 2, 2018

You should let me know the next time you're in town.

You don't have to stay with us for the entire trip but you certainly could if you wouldn't feel awkward. I've got a mint extra apt which I built for my mommy but alas, she never moved in. Private entrance; no babysitting required. I even have an extra car you bounce around in (with a garage). It's only a smart car but it's perfect for the city.

Lest you fear I live 20 suburbs away from the action... nope. I'm in Brooklyn and exactly 3.7 miles from Manhattan.

Edited Sep 2, 2018
    Kmart, mydeafcat, Dash1 and 6 others like this.
  7. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 2, 2018

How about a Brooklyn GTG !

Bill
    Go Brooklyn!

Kmart, Syrte, peatnick and 5 others like this.
  8. FreelanceWriter Sep 2, 2018

That's a nice video, but it's just about one very small community of long-time acquaintances who share a hobby and it's hardly representative of NYC more broadly. Between the two of them, this video is probably more accurately representative of the city:

I'm a lifelong resident simply because I happened to have been born here. In my experience, there are mainly three categories of people in NYC: 1. Born here, 2. Work sent them here or they just happened to wind up here for work, 3. Deliberately strove to come here, specifically, because of some ridiculous notion that NYC is the ultimate and most "impressive" place to "make it," even if that means paying $3,000/month for a studio or having roommates into your 40s. There are countless US cities that would be better places to live and enjoy a better quality of life for just about any income bracket below the 1% if you have the choice.
    Yeah, because giving a car to someone who's never driven in NYC or dealt with the parking situation here to "bounce around in" would be a fantastic idea.

Edited Sep 2, 2018
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 2, 2018

That's a peculiar comment, given that I never made any such claim. What I said was that "it provides one of the very best illuminations of the bright side of multiculturalism, and the melting pot that is New York City, that I have ever come across."

In other words, a glimpse at a specific aspect of NYC life, not a broad representation of the city.

#3 is silly. There are countless people who deliberately strive to live in NYC, and for numerous reasons other than ego gratification.

This I agree with, and I have no desire whatsoever to live in NYC.

Finally, it's easy to find information, including videos, illustrating the unpleasant side of NYC. Did you really imagine that viewers of the original video would think that it was anything but a tiny slice of NYC life?

Edited Sep 2, 2018
    Syrte, Nathan1967 and dougiedude like this.
  10. khanmu Sep 2, 2018

I’m fortunate in that for the last decade, I’ve been able to visit NYC almost once a mboth on business. I do love it, at times it seems completely crazy (I live in the English countryside) but it has a joy and a sense of being alive.

The only thing that makes me a little sad is how certain communities (including artists, independent bookshops, musicians etc) are being priced out...but I guess that happens in big cities everywhere.

Syrte and merchandiser like this.
  11. FreelanceWriter Sep 2, 2018

Name some of those "numerous" other reasons besides the 4th category of genuine arts aficionados that I didn't bother mentioning because it's such a small subgroup compared with #s 1 through 3 and also because it's often used by many (other) members of Category #3 whenever someone makes the point about Category #3.
    Yes. If I didn't know better from having lived here all of my life, that's exactly what I might have concluded.

12. ICONO Sep 2, 2018

Personally…I grew to adore NYC…it has a buzz / a ‘life spirit’ that persists through the night

Spent a lot of time in the city, through the 90’s in connection with my work, as an Advertising Photographer

Spent many a lunchtime, in ‘The Greatest Bar on Earth’ atop World Trade Centre North Tower…& knew a number of the Staff, there

Alas, all gone now

The City, is a fascinating microcosm of cultures & attitudes…that if you are open, to new ideas & thoughts…will enchant you

George.A, Syrte, Tony C. and 4 others like this.
  13. jumpingsecond Sep 2, 2018

I live in nyc for none of the reasons you mention. I just like it. Simple enough.
    Also this thread needs a watch with an nyc background so I'm happy to oblige. 20180503_150239.jpg

Kmart, George.A, Syrte and 8 others like this.
  14. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 2, 2018

This has potential!

jumpingsecond likes this.
  15. abrod520 Sep 3, 2018

FIFY ;)

Rudy Giuliani's effect on the city isn't only good or only bad - like everything else in life the reality is more complicated. He (and the police department) certainly did do a great job cleaning up the city follwing the nightmare that was the '80s. The city was a warzone and required a warlike response. And it was effective, and New York today is undoubtedly the city it is because of it. However, the city was more or less cleaned up by the late '90s, yet the warlike tactics continued (under Bloomberg too, and still under De Blasio) - Stop & Frisk etc, which made life hell for a lot of regular people in the city. Unfortunately similar tactics remain from that era, unnecessarily putting people through the system who really shouldn't be, with consquences that last a lifetime.

The end result of all that is, New York is an awesome place, it's my home and it's where I belong. And it can be better

I've seen more instances of the first video - people coming together and enjoying themselves, meshing backgrounds - in a single day than I've seen examples of the like presented by your video in a whole year. You should try moving to San Francisco if you think New York is all about subway fights and general filth - I think this place would suit you

Caliber561, Kmart, George.A and 6 others like this.
  16. divetime Sep 3, 2018

Great video - thanks for sharing! Despite the fact it is quite long I watched till very last second. Impressive!

Tony C. likes this.
  17. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 3, 2018

lol! Such a good, and funny illustration of how (time) perceptions have changed since mobile devices have become the dominant viewing platform. :D

Glad that you liked it! :thumbsup:

divetime likes this.
  18. Marty McDawg Sep 3, 2018

Thanks @Tony C. ! That was a fantastic video. Gives hope for humanity, if only a glimmer:)

19. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 3, 2018

+1!

Deserves another watch shot, or two:

173C308F-F676-4A3D-BA46-0DF55A06052B.jpeg A20A23A6-1860-4DBD-B879-8990F0C54218.jpeg

20. divetime Sep 3, 2018

thats true - how often do you take the time to watch an internet video of 15 minutes from beginning to end???

citizenrich likes this.