Forums Latest Members

The entire wooden interior of Notre Dame Cathedral has been lost

1. Vitezi Apr 15, 2019

2. Ssunnylee24 Apr 15, 2019

Its devastating...

3. valkyrie_rider Apr 15, 2019

Really sad about the fire, hope the structure is not badly damaged and that the French government will mobilize the resources needed to fully restore the cathedral.
    :-(

Are you sure we are talking about the same people + city?
    ;-)

Motik likes this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 15, 2019

Even now in the 21st Century we lose notable buildings to fire. When it is rebuilt hopefully they can incorporate modern fire-resistant construction methods and install fire suppression systems. It's very $$$ and difficult to retrofit historic structures like this, but in the end it would have been cheaper than this rebuild will now cost. I am glad my wife and I got to see the cathedral (and do the mandatory climb to the top) about a dozen years ago.

There are many more notable and irreplaceable buildings throughout the world that are just as vulnerable.

queriver, Baz9614, michael22 and 3 others like this.
  5. 77deluxe Apr 15, 2019

Tragic.

6. arturo7 Apr 15, 2019

I wonder what the status is of all of the beautiful stained glass. This art is irreplaceable.

connieseamaster likes this.
  7. snarkq Apr 15, 2019

It is one of those magical places where you really feel transported to another time, my heart broke to see the news. very fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit a few times over the past few years.

Baz9614 likes this.
  8. Evitzee Apr 15, 2019

Notre Dame is a symbol of the history and triumph of Western civilization. You can rebuild it but many of the priceless artifacts, the magnificent organ, and much of the stained glass is gone forever. No rebuilding will bring back that history. Very sad tragedy.

9. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 15, 2019

I had the privilege of staying several months in Paris last year. I've walked in the neighborhood of the Notre Dame and strolled around the church at least a dozen times. Every time, I was awestruck by this fabulous building: its immense roses, absolutely amazing flying buttresses, fabulous doors, stunning spire, and its perfectly proportioned architecture. Although I'm not a spiritual person, I've also visited many other amazing churches — San Marco in Venice, Sistine and Saint-Peter's at the Vatican, Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, Mosque of Cordoba, Chartres, Notre-Dame de Reims, Gurudwara Bangla Sahib in Delhi — I can say without hesitation Notre-Dame de Paris is peerless. A immense loss to our world heritage. Hopefully the French can rebuild this wounded building. Bon courage.

france-paris-notre-dame-flying-buttresses.jpeg

Matty01, robinhook, Jensop and 7 others like this.
  10. Edantony Apr 15, 2019

History went up in flames, and France is heartbroken. Again. All we can do is rebuild now, still can’t believe it. Truly a symbol for the French, a disaster of epic proportions.

queriver and 77deluxe like this.
  11. NYCwatchgal Apr 15, 2019

My heart goes out to the people in France. Truly devastating :(

valjoux72 and 77deluxe like this.
  12. ericmtl Apr 15, 2019

I can't believe in such a place something like that can happen I truly hope some of the artifacts will have survived and does anyone know have an idea what caused it ?

13. 77deluxe Apr 15, 2019

I read that it could have been construction related, renovations were underway.

14. Screwbacks Apr 15, 2019

there should be centuries old clock/s in there that are gone as well.

15. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 16, 2019

Really pisses me off how these amazing buildings have survived centuries of use plus a couple of World Wars, only to be burned down by the people entrusted with their care and maintainance.

We had a similar thing in England, a few years ago, with Windsor Castle, Hampton Court Palace, York Minster, and now in Paris at Notre Dame.
    Even Hitler never managed to accomplish this! Nice work chaps! :mad:
    9a56a686-641e-455e-b7ef-273f3f77694c.jpg

Edited Apr 16, 2019
  16. ama98 Apr 16, 2019

You don't know what you got until you lose it

Waltesefalcon and Motik like this.
  17. Omegafanman Apr 16, 2019

Good point and lets not forget the cutty sark (caused by a vacuum cleaner) or the Glasgow school of art (possibly caused by a foam canister)… Modern materials and multiple ignition sources often combined with low paid transient workforces and stretched budgets... but after a fire the insurance company and or government will sort it out.... I wonder how much a dedicated night watch person and some heat sensors would cost.....Obviously too much cost for your average renovation project to bare...….

ewweqe.jpg cutty sark.jpg
  18. Rman Apr 16, 2019

I would add to that the fire that devastated the National Museum in Rio last fall.

A loss such as this shows us what we truly value in this world.

My heart goes out to the Parisians and hope that after fire there is new life in this sacred place.

19. Baz9614 Apr 16, 2019

I was fortunate enough to have visited Notre Dame Cathedral in November 2017 and was awestruck by its incredible architecture and history. 200 years to build, gone in a couple hours :(

20. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 16, 2019

Well, as somebody who has been actively involved in historical preservation, I hate to see such a beautiful building with such a rich history so badly damaged, but your point about "A loss such as this shows us what we truly value in this world" is an interesting one.

I don't mean to be needlessly controversial at a time of material and cultural loss but it has to be said:

I couldn't help noticing that, already, wealthy business men have pledged millions of euros to help fund the restoration. Amazing at a time when 'poor people' everywhere are having to cut back or go without, there seems to be no difficulty finding massive amounts of immediate cash for the 'new church roof'.

Edited Apr 16, 2019
    eatabagel, ICONO, Longbow and 5 others like this.