Forums Latest Members
  1. snake.doctor Feb 26, 2019

Hello everyone,

I have to say I'm quite excited about posting this... because I just bought my first Speedie, and it's the one I have been looking for for almost ten years now...

On Friday I went on a 7-hours drive trip to meet the seller and see the watch in person. I had received high-res pictures of it a few days before, but as you all know, it never looks the same...

So long story short, the seller was a watch collector and we had some nice discussion around a drink, and after I inspected the watch we made the deal.

I first saw this model when it was released in 2009. Unfortunately at that time I was still a student and couldn't afford the 5900$ price tag. So years went by and from time to time I checked if one was around here, but no luck so far.

A few weeks bag I checked some websites and found one for sale at 5300$. I reserved it and just after that I found an advertisement for the other one on a local small ads website. Contacted the seller and worked on a deal.

Unfortunately the box and papers and the collector coin were dismissed by the previous owner (still don't understand why you would do that...) the watch stayed in a bank vault for the last few years before the other owner decided to sell it to fund another project. So here I am, very happy with my purchase.

The model 311.30.42.30.01.002 is the one which directly caught my eye when it was released. I always loved the small Apollo 11 logo on the dial and the engraving on the back of the watch. To be simple, I just followed my heart.

Watch is in excellent condition, very few scratches, the hesalite glass is the original one with the Omega logo on it, and it was never repolished.

[​IMG]

I had already ordered an original reproduction of the NASA strap (the short one from Apollo 13 and later) from Kizzi, so I had no trouble to swap the original steel one for this (Yeah I know but I'm a space aficionado...)

[​IMG]

Last Saturday I stopped by the Omega Boutique in my region to have the steel bracelet adjusted. I stayed there for some time discussing the different models with one of the representatives there and the story behind those watches and the space program. I ended up on the list for the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary watch which should be announced next month, and he offered me one nice poster of the 60th anniversary. I also left the boutique with one of the Omega space strap they are putting in the current Moonwatch box sets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now it joined my small space collection as a wonderful addition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now she can stay with its sister that I received after I graduated from High School in 2006.

[​IMG]

So I'm a happy new Speedie owner and I think it will not help not buying another one if the future... Cause it's a very very nice piece....

2. M'Bob Feb 26, 2019

My recollection is that there's nothing quite like the excitement of getting that first example of a watch you've lusted after, because, even though, for many of us, the cycle keeps repeating, it just isn't quite like the first time. The must be a country western song embedded somewhere there..

vbrad26, Edward53, Foo2rama and 4 others like this.
  3. prontoprint Feb 26, 2019

Really love the effort you've put into setting up these photos, especially the diorama of Apollo 11. Top marks and well done for getting hold of the watch.

4. MrJKLFoams Feb 26, 2019

Congrats! Where did you get those apollo displays? Looks like similar to the one from OB. Cheers

5. mancio Feb 26, 2019

Oh i love the first photo!

Chapeu and congratulation!!

6. chronoboy64 Feb 26, 2019

Great watch and stunning installation, huge congrats and wear in good health :thumbsup:

7. Kraut783 Feb 26, 2019

Happy you found your grail! Great post!

8. snake.doctor Feb 27, 2019

This Apollo 11 diorama was made by Dragon (a chinese model kits manufacturer) in 2002. They released different kits (plastic to assemble, die cast, dioramas, etc...) and this one is a diorama made of plastic and die cast metal which still need some parts to be assembled. There are some popping out from time to time on Ebay for 120-150$ depending on the model and mission (the Apollo 11 is the most sought after). They are truly really well made and I am extremely happy with mine. I had the chance to find one brand new in a small model kit shop in german part of Switzerland, it was resting there for years... They are 1:72 in scale, the ones you see in OB are bigger, around 1:42 I think.

If you want a set, there are two Dragon kits from Apollo 12 available right now on Ebay for a good price :
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-72-Apoll...rentrq:2e1975551690ad4b0564b1a2ffe68105|iid:1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The miniatures you are seeing in OB were made by Code 3 (the manufacturer which makes the fire trucks models), they were also released around 2003 but the prices now on Ebay are prohibitive. For example the Lunar Rover was sold for 132$ at that time and now people are asking 1200$ for it. It was part of 4 sets which were made for the National Air and Space museum in the US. Omega bought a bunch of them for display in their boutiques... I'm already working the guys here if someday they can sell the 2 sets they have there (a Lunar Rover and the Landing Module).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Code 3 are of outstanding quality. I have one of their 1:32 Ladder 10 fire truck from the FDNY and it's a work of art.

omegasaso12, Dedalus05 and garryap17 like this.
  9. Woops Feb 27, 2019

Thank you for that heart-warming post. Congratulations on acquiring the watch - your joy at finally doing so leapt off the screen here!

10. nttisch23 Feb 27, 2019

Great story and an enjoying read of acquiring a watch you’ve admired for so long. Great quality pics too :thumbsup:

11. REckroat Feb 27, 2019

Congrats on the find and kudos to you for staying patient and vigilant in the search!

12. wouter van wijk Feb 27, 2019

Something like loosing your horological virginity. Oh No thats more like rock&roll!

13. snake.doctor Feb 28, 2019

Actually looks more like the start of a new addiction to be honest.... ::love::