Forums Latest Members
  1. khoalety Sep 7, 2013

Today I got a chance to look at my father's watch closely and I noticed it isn't 100% in the center. I looked at the picture I took prior to get the overhaul (with the wrong size strap) and the picture after. They are about this same, but I'm not sure. I wonder if the repair person had to adjust when he dropped it into the case? Or it'd go in the same way whether I put it in or an expert does it.

Thank you for your answers.

DDMy_FatherOmega.jpg DDadOmega11_Sml.jpg
  2. mac_omega Sep 8, 2013

I suppose there is an issue with the inner shock absorber... this is a rubber ring similar to an o-ring gasket which sits between the metal movement holder ring and the case. It holds the "inner unit" (movement + holder ring) in place and centers it. If this rubber ring is damaged or has been replaced by a wrong part this will result in a non centered dial.

khoalety likes this.
  3. khoalety Sep 8, 2013

That probably explained why it was off center before I brought it in (since the back was never opened before). After all it is over 40 years old. I wish they would let me know about it and charged me extra to get this rubber ring replaced. I will give the repair shop a call on Monday to find out if they can replace this rubber.

Thank you for your explanation. That makes a lot of sense!

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 8, 2013

This is not the method used on this case style.

These use a metal spacer ring attached to the movement with a spring ring set into the case back, this ring is often missing. If either the spacer ring or the spring ring is missing the movement will not sit properly within the case.

The case back seats between the inner case wall and the retainer ring and the spring ring presses against the retainer ring to sandwich everything in place.

Note the missing spring ring on this case back photo I grabbed from the web.

$(KGrHqJ,!rIFIW!epEpZBSIkKBC(vQ~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqZ,!lgFIf2wK+mNBSIkKE5CMQ~~60_57.JPG
    IMG_3952.JPG

khoalety likes this.
  5. mac_omega Sep 8, 2013

What is the retainer ring? Is it the same as the spacer ring? I can not find it in the description (wording) in the above pictures.
    I have read about an additional "shock absorber" in these kind of cases - what could this be? The spacer will not be able to work as a shock absorber... any idea?

6. khoalety Sep 9, 2013

Thank you for all your help, mac_omega and X350 XJR for your explanations and pictures. ::rimshot::