Forums Latest Members
  1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2016

I was in DC last week for work, and stopped by a watch dealer in Georgetown. Over the years I had done a deal or two with them, and knew that while their prices were crazy, they would negotiate.

This time they had more vintage than normal, and thanks to the OF for educating me on the finer points of grading, I had a fun run through. First was a Tudor snowflake with the wrong hands, a dial that didn't look just right, and a crown that was not flush. Second was a 1675 with a clear redial and over polished case. And third was the coup de grace...a 145.022.

Dial was stepped, short indices, decent patina, hands matches, DN bezel had some funky wear on it, but no big deal. Case was sharp, bracelet was incorrect, but could be sold. At first glance, looked liked a nice early to mid 70s Speedy.

And then I asked him to pop the case back off. Not dust cover. Serial matched the 76 case back, BUT did case had a serial number on the lug!

Someone had taken a later Speedy mid case and bracelet and put a 1976 dial, movt and caseback...and the 12hr counter was stuck at 2...a complete shit show of a Speedy for $2600.

The crap shoot part comes when he pulls out an absolutely mint manual wind Seamaster 120...damn near NOS. His price was fair for such a fine specimen.

I share this story because it demonstrates the importance of knowledge, experience, and buying the seller. His bread and butter is tourists and yuppies coming in off the street, and some poor schmo is going to buy that bastard Speedy...but some savvy collector will pull the 120.

You just never know.

OMGRLX and KstateSkier like this.
  2. lillatroll Apr 20, 2016

Did you buy the 120 from them? Question 2 did you point out to him that he was selling a sausage dressed as bacon? At least then he could remove the watch or price it accordingly.

OMGRLX likes this.
  3. abrod520 Apr 20, 2016

Plot thickens further: The 145.022-76 did not have a stepped dial. So, if the serial matched a -76 caseback (I'm guessing it was 39M?) it might have been the movement and caseback from a -76, dial from a -69 or -71 and mid case from late '90s - 2000s.

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2016

Excellent point! Even more of a bastard...

5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2016

I pointed it out it to him, and he shrugged his shoulders.

I did not buy the 120, but if anyone is interested, I will give you their contact info. He was asking $1750, and may deal a bit on it. Sorry I didn't snap any pics. It was a cherry based on @gemini4 recent write up.

OMGRLX likes this.
  6. lillatroll Apr 20, 2016

That is a shame, I am quite shocked that dealers take that attitude, one would think that even a tiny bit of professional pride would be enough to make them do the decent thing. I would like a nice 120 but not for all the tea in china would I buy from this seller. Rule number one, buy the seller.

OMGRLX and KstateSkier like this.
  7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2016

I know, I was a bit surprised as well.

You bring up an excellent point, though...for dealers like this, would you ever buy a watch from them when you know for 100% certainty that the watch in question is legit? @lillatroll I know how you feel, but how do others feel?

Had the 120 been priced a little better, I would not have hesitated buying it. Based on his location, he is going to get some great pieces as well as shady ones...you just have to sort through them.

8. DesignerV Apr 20, 2016

I used to stop into this store fairly often, always enjoyed seeing the odd combinations and occasional gems that they had on offer. I think a little bit of suspicion does good for honing one's eye for veracity.

Never found anything there I couldn't leave without...

9. cristos71 Apr 20, 2016

Never nice to see a messed about with watch designed to deceive, but I have bought many watches at great prices from `dealers` who don´t really know the difference between a diamond in the rough and a polished turd. Wherever I am I view each watch on an individual basis and just because the first nine I look at are overpriced tat doesn´t mean that number ten won´t be coming home with me for a song.

Edited Apr 20, 2016
    OMGRLX, Willem023 and Skrotis like this.
  10. ossfm Apr 20, 2016

Did he open the caseback on the 120 also? Do you know it was also ok on the inside? If not, it could have been the same story.

11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2016

Nope, as I wasn't interested in buying the watch. Any interested parties can call them, (202) 507-8905, and have them take the case back off, snap a pic if interested. It really was an awesome example.