Forums Latest Members

The cost of vintage watches lately.

1. ulackfocus Feb 18, 2012

Are sellers getting a little over the top with their prices, or are premium vintage prices on the rise again? We've discussed this a while back, but it might be a good time to rehash this subject. The reason I'm asking is because of IWC prices. Had a line on a caliber 89 in 18ct that was unserviced but very nice. The seller wouldn't take less than $1500 thinking that's what he could get for it on eBay. He doesn't realize that parts can get expensive for it. Another forum member also asked for help finding a ribbon lug case R521 like huntershooter, WiLL, and myself own but is having difficulty tracking one down in nice shape for under $3000 (asking price) for any watch that comes serviced with a warranty.

Have any of you noticed any significant rise in price in the higher echelon pieces from the brands you chase? I know gold is still up, but can that be the entire reason?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 18, 2012

The trouble is you've got so much variation in what's available, with Rolex there are only so many watches, we know what a DRSD is worth, we know what a red sub is worth, we know what a Daytona is worth. With Omega you've got to ask what's the price difference between a stepped pie-pan dial grand lux constellation and a dome dial?

Then someone says, ok, well that stepped pie-pan sold for X, my dome dial with refinished text looks the same, so I'll charge X too. Then the next guy says well, that dome with scribble on the dial was worth X so my mint condition pie-pan must be worth 140% of that. Then you've got that Omegamania auction in '07 that completely turned values on their head and people just have to wonder...

There was a $100,000 constellation grand lux pie-pan on bracelet in white gold sell a couple years back. Is it really worth 100k? Is a high gold weight watch like a Flightmaster 18K really worth the 30k+ they charge for them?

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 18, 2012

Rolexes that are truly unique and rare are worth insane money, those red paul newmans went for about 500k each. Your pie-pan seamaster is possibly rare than those, and solid gold. If you had a one-off solid gold Rolex, imagine what that would be worth?

4. ulackfocus Feb 18, 2012

I'm waiting for somebody to come up with stupid money for it. Like "new windows and siding" money. :eek::D

See "retirement fund". :p

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2012

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 19, 2012

Not sure I would pay that much for one of those...even though white gold is pretty rare. :eek:

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2012

Somewhere there's probably a WG version of Dennis' Seamaster Calendar and he's going to be all sad =(

BTW Wonder what the "Extract from the Archive" would say for that Seamaster?

8. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2012

Man, that's a TON of money for those watches. :eek:

Nah, not if it sells for that kind of cash. It would make my version worth more than I thought.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2012

I never asked, where did it actually come from? There any story behind it or did it just pop up as a one of Omega's bastard children on eBay?

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2012

You know another thing is vintage watches do make a lot of sense in uncertain times. How many ways are there to carry large sums of money between countries covertly, or to move money without the government knowing about it. If the stock market is failing, the housing market has gone belly up, and vintage watches are hitting new highs, why not invest?

11. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2012

Found it at Jackmond - a vintage watch dealer in Beverly Hills CA. Bought it with the 2799 Connie De Luxe. Got a nice price for buying both.

It's still risky. I think some of the reason these watches are bringing so much is the recent upswing in the price of gold.

12. SeanO Feb 19, 2012

a mate of mine runs a second hand shop. He's bitza european (Romanian/Jew/French) he was saying that in the UK (especially in London) the market for vintage watches would do your head in. Everybody knows the value of them. The only problem I have with them is the usual speculation worry. If I'm speculating in them, then the market is ready to fall over.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2012

Makes you worry how many of these nice pieces are getting scrapped by idiots.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2012

Yea that's the thing, I tend to not go for the vintage in-a-can option but rather try to find the shabby, honest life, original or estate owner pieces that may look awful but have the potential to be brought back to life. My SM300 is the exception, I just plain had to have it, but most of the time I'll buy value, not with my heart.

15. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2012

Which is precisely why 5 or 6 "We Buy Gold" places around me have my cell phone number.

It's even more fun when you find that mint "drawer watch" (meaning it's been sitting in a drawer unused for decades).

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2012

How many pieces have you had from them that were decent? I've been meaning to do it in my area too.

17. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2012

The '46 Omega Centenary 2500, which I restored and traded for the '59 Constellation 2943, came from a guy who is a semi retired jeweler who keeps a small client base. An older lady wanted to scrap it. A couple months ago I picked up a caliber 550 with dial & hands and a Wittnauer from the late 50's/early 60's for about the price of a tank of gas. The 550's case was scrapped - it had a large engraving on the back. It was a DeVille 14ct, and they even scrapped the indices. The same guy just showed me a pair of 14ct Doxa dress watches (not worth much more than scrap) and a very nice IWC caliber 89, but he wants too much for unserviced pieces so I passed.

18. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 29, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

Thanks for bringing to our attention, those two white gold Omega Constellations. Indeed, they are beautiful pieces. Had they both come in yellow gold instead of white, what you reckon their prices would be approximately. Why is white gold Constellation, so much more expensive than the yellow gold ones, generally? Personally, apart from the price, I see no difference if a watch comes in stainless-steel or white gold, or maybe even platinum.

19. ulackfocus Mar 1, 2012

Sometimes it's about rarity, sometimes it's about desirability, sometimes it might be that two people wanted a watch really bad that particular day and got in a bidding war. There are a few collectors who are only interested in the watch and not the type of material the case is made from so they won't pay the premium for a precious metal case. Others will pay the extra for a little exclusivity.