Forums Latest Members

The coronavirus thread and forum conduct...

1. M'Bob Feb 9, 2020

Full disclosure: I am not Fred Rogers, nor do I play him on TV, and I especially am no one who can hold himself out as a model of forum behavior.

That said: this thread was inevitably going to segue at some point into a discussion of vaccines, and then the anti-vaxxers.

I made what I thought was a benign joke about the latter group. In fact, when my patients come in after a flu shot, and I ask them how they feel, they often say, "Fine, except a little soreness at the injection site, plus I'm feeling a tad autistic." I do treat a number of physicians. Now, some could think that this is generally in poor taste, but it's a slight against a group many think are causing a great public disservice and with serious potential consequences. This was NOT any joke about those with autism.

Now, @Wetworks took this the wrong way, and went so far as to call me a dickhead. But here's the thing: he has a child with autism. And no one, including me, can judge the fact that he got a little emotional until we walk a mile in his shoes. A child with a chronic illness is a devastating thing. I know. I have one.

My point: we often don't know a person's back story, what baggage they have, what traumas life has given them, what they're currently struggling with. So, a note to me and everyone else when we get too clinically logical and ruthless with our responses: be kind.

And a shout-out to @Dan S and @JwRosenthal, who always manage to be gentlemen even when the going gets quite bumpy.

jumpingsecond, kov, sdre and 17 others like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Feb 9, 2020

468274AF-1080-4481-9CB4-9F73E2078F94.jpeg

M'Bob likes this.
  3. JesterP Feb 9, 2020

I don’t often post but it’s always been very clear from reading threads that M’Bob is a gentleman and has a lot of respect throughout the site.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”
    Abraham Lincoln.

All the best

M'Bob likes this.
  4. M'Bob Feb 9, 2020

Thank you. Very kind words and they're much appreciated.

5. Walrus Feb 9, 2020

I should mention a little inside info. The people I know are in a city called Hefei in the Anhui Provence. They have been on “lockdown” since the Chinese New Year. They are allowed to go out three times a week for food, I think it’s one family member per family. Schools have been closed and will continue to be so until March. The only people working have been allowed to do so with a “pass” given out by the government. Tomorrow regular work is going to be allowed for people. I stayed in Hefei for a month one time, it is not a small area. The place was always bustling. I can only imagine what it would look like with empty streets, I picture a zombie movie after the zombies have moved on. Anyway good for them being able to get back to work tomorrow. I think Hefei has 800 cases of this new virus, those are the reported numbers.

6. Walrus Feb 9, 2020

Shoot sorry I didn’t see we had a thread regarding the coronavirus thread. My update was meant for that one.

7. Meme-Dweller Feb 9, 2020

I am very disappointed that the Coronavirus has not made a dent in the demand for Professional Rolex sports models.

WE NEED TO START SPREADING THE CORONAVIRUS TO MORE REGIONS!

8. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 9, 2020

kkt, M'Bob, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 9, 2020

I read your original post as you had intended, but you have handled this well, @M'Bob

M'Bob likes this.
  10. M'Bob Feb 9, 2020

Thank you, Tony. I appreciate the comment.

11. Wetworks Feb 9, 2020

Believe it or not, the last thing I am is an overly-sensitive person. Two decades in LE, working in an ER, two disabled children, cancer, I've had plenty to help me form callous upon callous. Saying I took something the wrong way on the Internet is a cop-out. I most certainly did not "take it the wrong way" as it was said to be mean-spirited, which is exactly how it was received. As for your poor taste in humor with your patients, that's your thing, so have at it.

I edited my post almost immediately after I typed 'dickhead', so I am sorry that you saw it. I'm also sorry I let some random person on the Internet get me to the point of doing that. Had the conversation been in person, I most assuredly would've said the same thing, however. So, sorry I let you get the best of me, sorry I stooped to name-calling, and just sorry overall.

Sorry to everyone else who may have gotten their balls twisted by me not upholding some sort of interweb watch forum etiquette.::psy:: As for the mods/owners, I'll do my best to not pull a Dennis and rant at everything anymore. Lately the posting has either lent itself to it, or some people on here know how to push my buttons lol.

TL;DR- sorry for the kerfuffle, I'll try to be better.

EDIT- I haven't gone back in that thread, btw, as I feel nothing good can come from it (from my perspective).

Chye likes this.
  12. killer67 Feb 9, 2020

nice touch from all of you guys to be humble, forgiving and honest. its an emotional subject so it’s understandable

13. oinkitt Feb 9, 2020

Offence is taken not given, some people need to harden the fuck up.

“If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, 'I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.'
    In this country, I've been told, 'That's offensive' as if those two words constitute an argument or a comment. Not to me they don't." CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS.

Antivaxxers deserve to be mocked and derided!!!

Edited Feb 9, 2020
  14. Riviera Paradise Feb 9, 2020

Well as the OP of the Coronavirus thread which eventually led to this unfortunate misunderstanding, I think this really is the time to treasure our loved ones. Today's apparent confirmation of aerosol transmission shows that this could be a much bigger threat than previously thought.

M'Bob and cvalue13 like this.
  15. oinkitt Feb 9, 2020

It will be big. I suspect the Chinese have been rather deceptive re this matter. All evidence suggests the numbers are under reported.

16. killer67 Feb 9, 2020

Some Chinese infectious disease doctors are saying that it is mainly transmitted via respiratory droplets and contact but I think they are trying to minimize the international scare. They claim that aerosol transmission refers to the mixing of the virus with droplets in the air to form aerosols, which can float for long distance and cause infection after inhalation. Viruses mutate and I think that’s why it has evolved into a truly aerosol virus but some officials won’t admit it which is irresponsible