Forums Latest Members
  1. Apriliaman Aug 24, 2014

Hi there,
    have been looking to buy my first vintage watch. I really do love the look of the Omega Constellation automatic with a black face gold hands and a capped gold case.
    I am on a steep learning curve regarding movement type, make up of the watch itself, dial originality, case type, glass, strap etc so bear with me.
    If i ask some daft questions please excuse my lack of knowledge, but everyone has to make a start somewhere.
    I would really appreciate some guidance on what to look for as I don't want to fall into the trap of not getting something genuine through lack of knowledge.
    I'm in the Uk and if you can point me In the right direction that would be great.
    Thank you

Best Regards
    Martyn

2. ChrisN Aug 24, 2014

Hi Martyn

Best place to start is looking at the WRUW thread in the Open Discussion forum. Try and narrow your search a little using the pictures there. Also, look in the watch sales forum and check the seller feedback (another forum). You can post any finds (eBay etc) here and get honest comments. The main thing is not to rush as that can lead to a poor buy.

There is a watch fair at Uxbridge soon and some of the Guys will be there. Might be an opportunity if you are in the London area...

Cheers, Chris.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2014

A black dial is going to be a bit harder to find, they're still around but considerably less common than lighter dials.

4. Mothra Aug 24, 2014

And soooooo many more redials....

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 24, 2014

Here's a checklist I made up a few years back. It covers most elements worth considering when appraising a Constellation. Some points raised can be contentious, like whether decagon crown is the 'correct' crown, and you will always find differences of opinion on patina and condition.

So, it's always a good idea to form a view of what you would be prepared to accept as a 'knowledgeable' collector. When someone is trying to buy your money with a vintage watch it pays to have a clear idea of what your line in the sand is.

Cheers

Desmond

Dr.Sascha, NT931 and ChrisN like this.