Forums Latest Members

The Commercial - and now general space travel - Thread (No Politics Allowed)

1. pbook4g5 Apr 26, 2023

A shame, too. I've been following this company's work since the Google Lunar XPrize project. Was hoping for better news, but alas... space is hard!

vbrad26 likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 27, 2023

There seems to me to be an amazing (scary) lack of forethought/planning/risk assessment/commonsense going on with these programs when compared to the effort that went into the original "NASA" launches

Archer, Larry S and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  3. pbook4g5 Apr 27, 2023

As it has been noted elsewhere, SpaceX and NASA use two wildly different approaches to space vehicle development. There’s also the scale of this current machine that’s never really been seen before in anyone’s lifetime, so it’s new territory for everyone. NASA could not afford any “failures” like a private company can.

The biggest mistake with this last Super Heavy launch was the lack of understanding of the strength of their own concrete pad. The reasons why are well reported now, but it still seems like it was a pretty big miscalculation

Larry S likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 27, 2023

I worked for may years with guys who's approach to any task was based on the 7Ps!

Their lives usually depended on it

Prior preparation and planning prevents piss poor performance.

Larry S likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2023

It's definitely a very "cowboy" approach. The FAA approved their engineering assessments, but after the launch pad debacle, my guess is that they will be under far more scrutiny next time. I doubt the town that had debris falling on it called this launch a success...

Scarecrow Boat and Larry S like this.
  6. Walrus Apr 30, 2023

7. Omegafanman Apr 30, 2023

Not if you track the $1 per kg into orbit cost…. Although of course it is always more for the pioneer and Moores law was holding true for computer memory to help modern endeavours as well. Commercial brings another level of cost effective challenge which we should keep in mind. It’s not an Apple with apples comparison :0)

8. Omegafanman Apr 30, 2023

Could make you question how much the state should abdicate responsibility for key developments to commercially biased enterprises which have a profit motive… they might cut corners like Boeing (approved by FAA) did as it gets harder to make a Buck…. Lucky Healthcare and pharmaceuticals work to much higher standards
    :whistling:

vbrad26 likes this.
  9. Walrus May 21, 2023

I didn’t even realize a SpaceX rocket was taking four astronauts to the space station today. I usually take time to watch the launches when I hear about them. I only saw the recorded launch which appeared to go smoothly. Are the SpaceX/NASA becoming so frequent they are just a blip in the news or have I had my head up my ass longer than I realized. Cool looking rocket

10. TLIGuy May 21, 2023

It appears Omega and the Speedmaster are back in business on board the Axiom Mission 2 to the ISS today.

I noticed the Omega partnership on the Axiom website today.

"Axiom Space has partnered with Omega Watches to develop custom-made versions of their watches for Axiom Space crew and partners to be sent on Axiom Space Missions. Omega's Speedmaster watches have a long history with space exploration, as they were worn by astronauts during the first moon landing mission in 1969. The X-33 model is a newer version of the Speedmaster designed specifically for space missions and features advanced technology for use in zero-gravity environments. As part of the partnership, Omega will produce special editions of the Speedmaster X-33 and Moonwatch watches that will be exclusively available to Axiom Space crew members. The watches will be modified to withstand the extreme conditions of space travel and will be used during Axiom Space private missions to the International Space Station (ISS) and other destinations. The partnership aims to promote space exploration and inspire people around the world to pursue their dreams of space travel."

CREDIT - Axiom Space

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 9.45.15 PM.jpeg
    CREDIT - Axiom Space

I decided to take a hard look at the pre launch video and found a nice little gem starting at 48:20 in the video. You can see the crew technicians strapping on the Speedmasters with Omega black Velcro straps onto the arms of Rayyanah Barnawi and Peggy Whitson. I do find it interesting that the watches were not strapped on until the crew was seated and secured.

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 9.42.02 PM.jpeg
    CREDIT - NASA/SpaceX/Axiom Space

Watches at 48:20 into the video

CREDIT - NASA/SpaceX/Axiom Space

Edited May 22, 2023
  11. pbook4g5 May 21, 2023

This was a "private" crew, which is just cool to think about in and of itself. And while Falcon 9 has been launching almost once a week, a manned spaceflight on the Falcon 9 is still pretty rare.

I'm just glad we keep shooting the rockets off. Go baby go.

Omegafanman and Walrus like this.
  12. Walrus May 21, 2023

Great video thanks that’s what I usually watch. Noticed the “watches” as well

Omegafanman and TLIGuy like this.
  13. vbrad26 May 22, 2023

In some pics, it looked like Ali AlQarni had on a Silver Snoopy on a bracelet pre-launch.

[​IMG]
    Hard to say for sure though...

Omegafanman, TLIGuy and hansmaulwurf like this.
  14. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 22, 2023

15. TLIGuy May 22, 2023

I wonder if Rayyanah Barnawi carries the first Moonswatch to the ISS?

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 9.37.10 PM.jpeg

Omegafanman and vbrad26 like this.
  16. vbrad26 May 31, 2023

NASA Provides Coverage of Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena Meeting
    Coverage of the public meeting of the independent study team on categorizing and evaluating data of unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAP)

I find it hard to believe that we have SO much other crazy stuff going on in the world, that NASA holding a briefing about "UFO's", is not even newsworthy lol. I had no idea about this until just this AM.
    I can't help but think that 10-15 years ago, this would have been HUGE news...
    Not saying that this is going to be like, a bombshell disclosure or anything...but still.

Olhenry56, Omegafanman and TLIGuy like this.
  17. vbrad26 May 31, 2023

My takeaway?

[​IMG]

18. Walrus Jun 10, 2023

Long watch if you have “time” kind of interesting

Omegafanman likes this.
  19. Walrus Jul 1, 2023

Omegafanman likes this.
  20. deepsealight Jul 1, 2023

Omegafanman and Walrus like this.