Forums Latest Members

The buyer was unable to pay...

1. Engee Dec 15, 2019

a watch I was interested in on eBay has been relisted, about 3 days after the sale closed. I asked the seller why and he just said the buyer could not pay. Could be legit but my gut says not.

What do you think?

2. Donn Chambers Dec 15, 2019

I’ve had that happen a few times as a seller on E-Bay — the buyer either never responded to the payment requests or they contacted me and said they “accidentally” put in a higher max bid than they extended. Whatever. There’s nothing you can do about it except realist the item or use the “second chance offer” to the next highest bid and see if they except.

Although EBay says bids are binding, they really aren’t, because how are you going to enforce it — take every non-payer to court? We can’t even leave them negative feedback anymore.

Anyway, it happens and if everything else in the listing looks good, I wouldn’t ignore it just because of this.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 15, 2019

This is not uncommon. Of course you should review the listing carefully, and ask any questions that may not have been answered in the advert, but it is not rare for buyers to flake out.

4. w154 Dec 15, 2019

Is it the scammer speedy ?

5. Dan S Dec 15, 2019

Could be true. It could also be that the seller canceled the sale because he wasn't happy with the outcome. Neither is allowed by eBay rules, but the rules really aren't enforced.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  6. Mad Cow Dec 15, 2019

It's eBay, any guess can be the correct, and anyway can't make it matter. Assume always worst & then cannot be unhappy later.