Forums Latest Members
  1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 13, 2015

I feel I have to take some time and acknowledge some of the great things about this forum.

Besides the cool watches, the expert advice, the humor and the depth and breadth of our membership, one thing stands out to me above all else: The Brotherhood and Friendships that you develop with the fine gentlemen here.

It is fascinating to feel the bond between so many of us, brothers that have never met, brothers thousands of miles away, brothers that may speak a different language and may come from a different culture.

I must single out my friend and brother, Jim (jiminoz).
    I was trying to purchase an Omega mesh bracelet from an Australian company and was experiencing some pricing/communication problems.
    Jim and I had been conversing and I mentioned my difficulty.

At this point, Jim contacts the company through someone he knows, negotiates a fair price for me, has his beloved go from her work to the store to purchase it for me (no money has changed hands at this point), expertly packages it with several clever tricks to insure a safe trip and then makes the drive to post it for me!

As amazing as this is, it is probably just about an everyday occurrence here for Jim and the band of brothers.

Many thanks Jim, and thanks to you all for making this hobby and this forum so very special.

My 10,000 mile strap: IMGP4060-1.jpg
    IMGP4062-1.jpg

TTG, NT931, OMTOM and 28 others like this.
  2. alam Jul 13, 2015

a 10K mile mesh bracelet strapped to a how old watch? Looks awesome! :thumbsup:

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 13, 2015

Bought new in '72.

TTG, Mad Dog and noelekal like this.
  4. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jul 13, 2015

I second @UncleBuck. What a great forum to hang out on and learn from. Now all we need is a secret handshake. :cool:

noelekal and blubarb like this.
  5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 13, 2015

We do have one, we do!

untitled.png

TTG, Alpha, Mad Dog and 4 others like this.
  6. Geo! Jul 13, 2015

I'm relatively new to this forum and it's great to know that there is such good friendship here. Well done Jiminoz! :)

UncleBuck likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 13, 2015

I can vouch too. I've had members bring watches from overseas for me. There's all the PMs I've sent asking questions that have all be very helpfully replied to. I even had a member who heard me mention in a thread that I'd love to see a first owner untouched straight lug speedy and he offered to meet me for a drink and brought his watch.

This is not only the best watch forum I've encountered in my young watch collecting career, but it is probably the best forum I've ever had the honor and pleasure of being a part of.

8. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jul 13, 2015

I would like to thank the forum for all of their knowledge and kindness. As a new member (long time lurker) I strive to someday become accepted into the brotherhood. I continue to make mistakes along the way but I have learned so much here and feel this is one of the most accepting and friendly forums that is willing to share knowledge. I enjoy visiting and learning everyday. I would also like to thank UncleBuck as I asked him a question regarding a case number and he quickly followed up with not just the number but a photo of the case too.

Great story and Jim sounds like a fantastic guy...even if he thinks one of my watches is a Basket case ;)

Cheers to the Brotherhood!

Mad Dog likes this.
  9. CdnWatchDoc Jul 13, 2015

Thanks for sharing-this is indeed what makes this group great!! Now, where is my handshake?

10. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jul 13, 2015

[​IMG]

Mad Dog likes this.
  11. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jul 13, 2015

Handshake:
    Maybe a righthand shake and hold with a left hand fist-bump above so both parties can admire each others watches.

Will have to be modified for left handed individuals that wear their watch on their right hand.

12. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 13, 2015

I've participated for many years in other forums, mainly those pertaining to rock climbing and SCUBA diving. In my experience, these other forums tended to be dominated (and fouled) by small group of cynical, disrespectful, self-serving individuals who ruin the experience for pretty much everyone else.

This particular forum features, by far, the most respectful, helpful, and civilized group of folk I've ever had the privilege of spending time with in an on-line environment.

Edited Jul 13, 2015
    Mad Dog likes this.
  13. Hijak Jul 13, 2015

Had similar experiences here as well.:thumbsup: And U.B. Have to say end result is fantastic!::love::

Mad Dog likes this.
  14. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 13, 2015

Yes, @UncleBuck , that is one spectacular combination with your '72 chrono.

UncleBuck likes this.
  15. lillatroll Jul 13, 2015

I am fairly new here too. Not long after joining I put a thread up about looking for a Omega ' banana.' Christos71 pm'd me and said he could sell me his. I didn't have the money at that time but I would have it in a few months. He kindly said he could wait until I had the money. That was a very kind thing for him to do and I am sure there are many examples of this kind of helpfulness and kindness that go on every day between forum members. I enjoy reading this forum every day.

Mad Dog likes this.
  16. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 13, 2015

I don't mean to take up too much of this thread, but I gotta say one more thing. I wouldn't mind it if this forum were a little less the near-exclusive realm of watch-guys. Some more watch-gals would be nice, too. It was fun when @peep was fluttering about. I hope we didn't scare her away :(

OK - I'll shut up now.

Mad Dog likes this.
  17. M.D. Jul 13, 2015

Great story! Thank you for sharing UncleBuck. It is indeed a wonderful forum. And that bracelet looks fantastic. I've had the opportunity to meet John Steed several times (we lived in the same neighborhood until recently). Great guy. And had the pleasure of buying an Archer watch. Beautiful watch and fantastic guy as well. Love this place. Hats off to Jim, have always enjoyed his posts. And hats off to his wife. Between his retirement package and running out on a watch related mission, sounds like a wonderful lady!

Mad Dog and UncleBuck like this.
  18. ulackfocus Jul 13, 2015

UncleBuck likes this.
  19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 13, 2015

The price of admission is honesty and courtesy.
    Matt, the one trait you will see among the regulars is a total and complete fanaticism with accuracy, truth and disclosure.
    You will be just fine, kind sir!

Dennis, I remember you counseling me a couple of years ago not to be so quick to sell it.
    Now, I never will!

20. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 13, 2015

download.jpg ask and yea shall receive