Forums Latest Members

The best feeling a parent can have....(not watches, but even better!)

1. Ritzwatch Jul 21, 2020

...is getting a young child back in the roost.

I am the proud parent of three amazing boys. My youngest, Mark, came home with us from Manila 5 years ago. He was 7 years old, and the Philippines was unable to find an in-country placement for him. He is a pretty amazing kid. He lights up whatever room he is in. He has a way of connecting with people that is so endearing, yet frustrating - he makes you work for his attention and affection, yet does it in such a way that you want to work for his attention and affection.

In April, Mark was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare cancer itself, even rarer among Asians/South Pacific Islanders. It was located low in his left femur, just above and involving the knee. Mark has been receiving chemo to kill this cancer since mid-April.

The doctors could not save Mark's knee, and last Friday Mark underwent a procedure called Rotationplasty. The doctors excised the affected bone/knee joint, and brought his lower leg, ankle and foot up to his femur, rotated his foot 180 degrees, and reattached his lower leg to his femur. His ankle, once healed, will hinge as he knee would have, and a prosthetic will be attached to his foot, giving him full range of motion and activity. It really is a remarkable procedure that may be of interest to the mechanically inclined on the forum. If you are interested, a short and sweet Youtube video can be found here, just make sure to be seated before you watch ;):

Mark has been doing reMARKably well (pun intended), and we brought him home this afternoon. We still have months of chemo and also physical therapy/prosthetic fittings, etc. to go, but we believe our boy is going to beat this cancer.

While at the hospital these last few days, I surely have enjoyed a good number of hours on this forum, and I am reminded why I enjoy spending some time here, mostly quietly, but always trying to learn something new. Every day, I am reminded of how much I do not know.

I also realized how hard it can be to pass on some of the beautiful watches for sale in the FS forums, you guys make it tough for a man to save up for a new leg! (How would that go over with my bride, "Honey, he's 11, he is young and strong, he can just hop around school this year!")

Anyhow, what I am most proud of: My boys.

All three, the night before chemo started in April:
    IMG_2301.jpg

My Mark, day 3 post-surgery:

IMG_2579.jpg

And today, loading into the car at the hospital, on the way home with his very blessed parents:

IMG_2597.jpg

Finally, because I don't want to be completely off theme of the forums, I wore my weekend beater through it all:

IMG_0725.jpg

Peace to you all,

-R-

2. Stewart A Jul 21, 2020

As a dad, I can understand the providing of love, strength and pride you give to your sons - it is heartfelt and given freely. Best wishes for a sucessful treatment and recovery.

allwoundup, MikiJ and Ritzwatch like this.
  3. ReturnOfUltraman Jul 21, 2020

Honestly, in a year where things have been upside for the most part and everything seems dark, this is one of the best posts I’ve seen. Thanks for sharing with us Mark’s incredible story of perseverance!

4. Rodentman Jul 21, 2020

Thanks for sharing that story! I never heard of this, but as a BK amputee for almost 30 years I understand limb loss. I was hit on my motorcycle by an inattentive driver. The indomitable human spirit will prevail!

Mods, janice&fred, allwoundup and 2 others like this.
  5. w@tcher Jul 22, 2020

Congratulations for your bravery and your generosity!!!

You worth all the time pieces of this world. Wish all the parents could do the same for every child!

6. WatchCor Jul 22, 2020

Thanks for sharing your familys and Marks story. I wish Mark all the best in the healing and recovery process. :thumbsup:

7. NGO1 Jul 22, 2020

Wishing Mark a speedy recovery. With parents like you, he’s already ahead.

Obligatory photo to keep forum theme. Strap I made w my 8yo daughter.

9BDBAFA4-0233-4379-94C5-BCCB22A33FC0.jpeg
    Edited Jul 22, 2020
    allwoundup likes this.
  8. killer67 Jul 22, 2020

Beautiful family and a blessing for Mark to have loving parents like you. Hope he beats this thing and extra points for being in the Hammy club :thumbsup:

9. Ritzwatch Aug 7, 2020

So, I was wrong. As great as it is to have your kid come home from the hospital, it pales in comparison to having the oncologist tell you the tumor they cut out of your child’s leg was tested and has come back 100% D-E-A-D!

So, happy as I am for @WYO_Watch for (finally getting his speedy back from Omega, and envious as I will be of whomever scores @eugeneandresson ‘s phenomenal Seamaster cal. 321 (FS forum), I think my day beats them all!

Have to make sure all the cancer in his body is dead, too, however, so, about to start 6 month/11 cycles of chemo.

Game face on this morning:
    430BD293-BC38-4C50-A589-D42182F18B95.jpeg

And, just because:

image.jpg

Edited Aug 7, 2020
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 7, 2020

Wishing Mark all the best for his recovery and the future steps to get properly mobile again. Well done for being an outstanding parent and human being. If there is a heaven, you have most certainly earned a place in it. All the best.

janice&fred and Ritzwatch like this.
  11. WYO_Watch Aug 7, 2020

@Ritzwatch that is absolutely phenomenal news! I’m a dad too. The joy I receive from the watch hobby pales in comparison to the joys of fatherhood. I’m sure this has been a trying time for you and your family. I’m always amazed what strength, endurance, and faith children can possess.

May God bless your son’s ongoing recovery cancer free!

janice&fred, Ritzwatch and sonicosa like this.
  12. lillatroll Aug 7, 2020

Wishing your son a good recovery and you and your family all the very best.

Nearly 50 years ago my brother was born with a club foot. My mother was beside herself with worry, because back then the usual outcome for people born with this condition was life as a cripple. He was the second person in Europe to be operated on to correct the condition. After 4 years of operations as an infant he has been able lead a normal life.

Medical advances are truly amazing and I am sure your son will be able to lead a good and fulfilling life. All the very best to you and your family. Of all the most important things that are not important, watch collecting is the most important.

13. Capt Cave Man Aug 7, 2020

Can I just say from one dad who has been through it all to another, BLOODY FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!

Tell Mark to keep it up! he's such a tough cookie, it's unbelievable how strong he is and everyone is right behind him and his family, that includes you as well @Ritzwatch!

Yes, modern medical advances are truly amazing but it doesn't feel as such when you are in the middle of what can be the darkest of times. Great Ormond Street was involved with my lad and I simply describe it as this; best place in the world, last place you want to be.

If you ever need a chat in private @Ritzwatch, drop me a PM.

Absolutely over the moon for you all!

janice&fred and Ritzwatch like this.
  14. janice&fred Aug 7, 2020

I have 15 years under my belt in the Philippines and I know all too well about the lack of health care if one doesn't have the money. It's especially unsettling for innocent kids suffering with disease. One of our kid's grammar school classmates was diagnosed with childhood leukemia but the family couldn't possibly handle the financial burden. Luckily my wife was able to organize fund raisers to bolster the thousands we spent out of our own pocket for this kid. She is on the mend now and that story is probably better gotten into in more depth in another thread. However I included this brief bit to let you know I know what you are going thru and what you most likely are feeling. You probably wish God above would let you trade places with your boy.

Thanks for letting us know how your kid is doing and we are all cheering for him! :)