Forums Latest Members
  1. mks4 Jan 5, 2015

Well, the day has finally come and the A386 was waiting in the office for me this morning. It's an absolute stunner and with the massive bracelet clasp I can size it down enough to fit my wimpy wrists.

One BIG issue, though... I used the chronograph and all seemed ok (minute counter advanced and all snapped back). I used it a second time and now the red hand will not return to 12:00 but jumps back to random places depending on how far the red hand has advanced. The minute counter advances only when the red hand returns to its "new" 12:00. The positive is that the seller is established and has a 2-year warranty. Odd, though, as the piece was just services (I have docs and old gaskets).

2 questions: can I wear it as is just as time only for now without further harm until I get the chance to send it back?

2nd question: am I doing something wrong and overlooking something? This is my first EP.

Thanks!
    Mike

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420451925.927974.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420451935.660222.jpg

spinfree, luzer, TNTwatch and 5 others like this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 5, 2015

Congrats - a real classic! :thumbsup:

Something's definitely off with the chrono, I wouldn't run it until it has been looked after. May simply need an adjustment since it has just be serviced. Send it straight back to get it sorted out.

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 5, 2015

Nice one. I have had early El Primrero chrono sweep second hands loosen up after a service more than once; it seems to be a common occurrence. Hopefully an easy fix.

4. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jan 5, 2015

Lovely!
    Go Tigers!

5. jud Jan 5, 2015

Beautiful. Good luck with the fix.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 5, 2015

Very nice example. I've had the experience of the second hand loosening post-service as well - if that's the issue it is an easy fix. You can probably run time only, but like the others, I'd advise you send it back promptly. That way the seller will know it wasn't right when it came out of the box and there will be no doubt that it should be covered under warranty.

7. cristit Jan 5, 2015

Very nice EP. Good luck with the fix!

8. mks4 Jan 5, 2015

Thanks all...I've already been in communication with the seller (Ca Venezze) who is determined to make it right. It will be several weeks until I can send it back but that doesn't seem to be an issue thankfully.

Love it on the wrist! By the way, the tachy bezel isn't dented...that's a polished out scratch in the crystal giving a little distortion.

Cheers all!

9. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 5, 2015

Very Nice.
    I hope to find one as nice one day.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2015

Real looker :thumbsup:

11. cristit Jan 5, 2015

Do you know from which year is it?

12. mks4 Jan 5, 2015

It's a 922D case which points to later. Bracelet shows 1971 so that's my guess.

13. Rafal Kulesza Jan 5, 2015

Beautiful. Congrats!

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2015

Very pretty watch, you've done well there

15. haga888 Jan 5, 2015

I've had the same problem. It's the post on the chrono seconds hand that is split so after it's been pulled a few times they tend to not want to stay tight anymore. I didn't think it could be fixed but others seem to have had it fixed so maybe it can be.

Great looking watch btw!

16. mks4 Jan 5, 2015

Thanks all...I simply let the red hand run to 12:00 and have stopped the Chrono to keep up appearances. I own what I consider a fair amount of nice watches...this, by far, has the most interesting hands and dial that I've laid eyes upon. Fantastic...

By the way, if I remember correctly, Rolex ended up buying Gay Freres later. The clasp and even the outer links look very similar to my older Rolexes. Interesting linkage...

17. legends71 Jan 5, 2015

Congratulations with a great looking watch and of course a great year '71 :)

18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 5, 2015

The bodge I have encountered is to glue the hand to the runner but that will only work for one service - come the next service, the hand becomes unusable. Unfortunately, this leaves only two options:
    1. You find a NOS hand of the right type - unlikely because there are different dimensions of the hand that vary between the early EP models, but possible.
    2. You find a watchmaker who has a special relationship with Zenith and can get them to make a new hand for the watch - it won't be a vintage hand and won't be filled with a radioactive compound, but it will detract less from an otherwise lovely example. The other downside is that the watchmaker is unlikely to do just this work and will probably want to provide it as part of a full service. Whilst this will cost some money, the advantage is that a watchmaker with this kind of relationship will be trusted by Zenith on these movements.

I guess there is always option 3 which is back to base and who knows what would happen to it there.

19. woodwkr2 Jan 5, 2015

A competent horological fabricator (read: watchmaker's watchmaker) can simply re-pipe the hand. The procedure is explained in George Daniel's treatise, Watchmaking. It's the way that you would build a watch hand from the bare metal. The skills aren't lost, you'll just have to hunt for them as most watchmakers will turn down the project because it's a time suck with the potential for disaster.

If you're interviewing potential watchmakers for the procedure, you want to explain that you want to maintain the original finish on the hand (if possible) and that you will need the hand re-piped (ie, a new tube riveted on).