Forums Latest Members
  1. achilles417 Jul 2, 2019

New promotion, good bonus and new watch added to the collection. I have been lurking for a while and this forum’s collective knowledge gave me the confidence to buy my first Omega. I felt more informed after reading all the thoughts and well-stated opinions of the big brains of this forum. Lots to learn, lots to read and I finally took the plunge and bought a 3573.50.00. Sure, I know the arguments against sapphire, I know why people on this forum favor Hesalite and the long tradition and purity it represents, but there were compelling reasons stated by other members that really resonated with me. After strapping it to my wrist for the first time I can honestly say, no regrets (certainly after the first time I banged it against something metallic, which was quick). I also learned from Archer (and others) that it should get a service. After watching the videos and reading the posts I know that I:

1. Shouldn’t wind after I feel residence;
    2. Shouldn’t take a shower or surface swim until and unless it has been pressure tested and gaskets have been very recently replaced;
    3. Should be serviced soon (unless the last date of confirmed date of service is less than 7 years - 5 year max recommenced + max 2 year shelf life of oils);
    4. Use a trusted watchmaker who knows how to properly oil a jewel or the Omega service center because it really matters; and
    4. I should enjoy and wear my new watch with pride.

Today was #SpeedyTuesday and I celebrated with a new NATO for a bit and bracelet the rest of the day. It is an unassuming watch, but I could not
    stop looking at it all day. It brings me pleasure and it brings me joy to look down and read the time. It did not matter one 0C485163-886B-450C-9451-40DB29D50AAA.jpeg 4A477540-EE16-454E-AB61-F9EDD710C204.jpeg whit that no one commented all day about my new watch. I have a bunch of reasons I choose this watch that include my father, the space program, good design aesthetics and horology, but you all have your good reasons. It’s pretty cool to have a common bond no matter our reasons.

I don’t anticipate ever selling this watch (barring misfortune) and I hope one of my sons finds it half as fascinating as I do today. Maybe he will wind it and keep track of how much time it is losing or gaining over his morning coffee as I do now and experience the romance of a hand-wound machine, occasionally flipping it over to watch the movement in action. Maybe I am a fool and he will flip it or stick it in a drawer for a decade. No matter. I will enjoy this watch for a long time, maybe until the end of my days. I hope someone after me takes wearing it and winding it as much as I do today.

Thanks to all. Your thoughtful comments,
    Posts and threads matter (whether I followed your advice or not).

The Father, BatDad, STANDY and 13 others like this.
  2. Omega-Q Jul 2, 2019

Congratulations on a beautiful watch! I wear my SMP on a NATO and love it! Additionally, congrats on your promotion as well...I am sure it was well deserved!

3. achilles417 Jul 2, 2019

Thanks for the well wishes. Very much appreciated. I like to think it was well-deserved.

4. AdamS Jul 2, 2019

You couldn’t have picked a better watch, congrats on the new watch and the promotion that allowed the purchase.

Enjoy it!

5. achilles417 Jul 2, 2019

Thanks, Adam! Really, no regrets with this watch.

6. omegaswisst Jul 2, 2019

Well done on the promotion and your Speedy purchase :thumbsup:

It's nice to see you took the time to research and learn about the watch you were interested in which adds to the enjoyment.

I'm sure it will return you many yeas of pleasure.

7. achilles417 Jul 2, 2019

Thanks! Like I said, I felt confident going into the purchase and knowing I wanted an older sapphire sandwich based on some really great reviews and photos on this forum. Certainly anecdotal, but I find the “milky white ring” to be less obtrusive on the older models than the current. I have the good/bad fortune of living in the greater Chicagoland area and working in downtown Chicago so I visited the OB and later an AD for a firsthand look. Would never had known about all the differences but for this forum. My thanks is sincere. I was probably annoying as can be, but I felt educated and in control.

astrand and CJpickup57 like this.
  8. astrand Jul 2, 2019

It's OK to be annoying as long as it's genuine. The members here are very knowledgeable and enjoy sharing their thoughts and expertise.

I also received a nice promotion in April, which led to buying my first omega (1998 bond seamaster with tritium dial). It is a great feeling to look down at your wrist having earned the Omega on your wrist. My wife will ask, "what time is it?" and I will have to recheck only because I was simply admiring the watch not looking at the time.

Congratulations
    Alex.

larryganz likes this.
  9. blunosr Jul 2, 2019

Congratulations. Speedmaster is a great watch. I’m in the western suburbs of Chicago and my 69 speedy say hi. 667225B1-3082-4B15-B26D-6FE2E54D13FD.jpeg

10. achilles417 Jul 2, 2019

Thanks, Alex!

My annoying behavior was genuine and everyone has been very tolerant of the madman in their midst.

My father is a Bond man. He inherited his father’s Omega after he passed away. He used to give me and my siblings that gold watch to teeth on when we were infants (with great success I am told). He
    had to get it serviced and essentially rebuilt because of our abuse, but I am happy to report it is up and running. We all eventually grew old enough and started earning enough to buy him a used Omega Bond for a landmark birthday. He wore the heck out of it. As a matter of fact, I just got him a Spectre NATO for Father’s Day because I noticed he was favoring his Samsung smartwatch over his analog. Sure enough, next family party the Bond was back on his wrist with the new NATO.

Thanks for the kind words.

11. achilles417 Jul 2, 2019

So great!
    I wish I was brave enough to jump into the vintage market. One day for sure.

BatDad likes this.
  12. jklim Jul 2, 2019

Congratulations. Can feel your joy in getting this watch.

13. Vega Mike Jul 2, 2019

Congratulations. No better way to celebrate a promotion than with a new speedy!

14. gpssti4 Jul 3, 2019

Great choice of watch. I bought my first Speedy new 5 years ago and still love it. I wore it on various straps and it was on a Nato recently until yesterday when I popped it back onto it’s bracelet. Wear in good health.

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 3, 2019

Congratulations on selecting one of the classi arr no not another Speedmaster thread by a new fan boy c watches.

What the heck is goi I just hate the lunatic salivating speedie groupies who ng on? How is Dennis busting in on m yeah Speedie nerds, all the same, only Speedie for me until the day I die y post? Do the mods know he can do this, I've got to mods? har har, mods can't stop me, I've found interwebs super powers, har har har! contact them ASAP, this is terrifying if the squirrel can do this and don't call me squirrel, it's Mr Squirrel! then our forum is under the greatest threat since nar nar nar na! har har, Squirrel rules!

I can't even post the greatest threat, he keeps blocking my po

Har har har!, now where the next Speedie thread be......aaaaaaaar!

BatDad and STANDY like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 3, 2019

You bought something you like and worked for and you are enjoying it :thumbsup:
    Came here to show it of too people that just don’t think “ so what, it’s a watch “ :thumbsup:

Avatar, picture and a thank you already. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Aussie Jim, BatDad and JimInOz like this.