Forums Latest Members

TH March insurance-new requirements

1. smitty190373 Jun 4, 2019

I know the insurance threads have been written about several times before, but is anyone still using TH March for watch cover in the UK?

I had a policy with them in '15, '16 and '17, but went elsewhere. I just contacted them with a view to opening a new policy, and was told they will only insure watches now that have come from a recognised jeweller with receipt and paperwork.

Any other recommendations? I'd like some extra cover for some pieces currently in a deposit box.

Thanks for any input.

2. NickC Jun 4, 2019

I used to be with TH March but switched everything to Direct Line Select. You have to call them for the Select policy, you can't get it online.
    They were absolutely brilliant.
    I'm now with Allianz in Ireland who have had no problem with insuring my watches.

smitty190373 likes this.
  3. smitty190373 Jun 4, 2019

Cheers...I'll take a look at Allianz. Thank you .

4. Croc Jun 5, 2019

As they’re in a deposit box, may be worth considering an insurance policy for the box https://mysecuritybox.co.uk give an online quote and expect that there will be other insurers offering similar products.

5. Evitzee Jun 5, 2019

What is the chance that your safe deposit box in a bank is going to get pilfered? I put my watches and wife's jewelry in my 8 x 10 box at the bank and never worry it's going to get broken into. I live in a town of about 15,000 people and I just don't think the added cost of insurance for this kind of coverage makes sense. Out of curiositiy what is the rate for such coverage?

6. whippetman01 Jun 5, 2019

M&S certainly worth looking at.
    Everything individual under 15k covered with out valuation on their premium cover but you best be able to prove ownership with receipts etc and cover around £50 k plus for high risk items on top of usual household and buildings cover.

7. Croc Jun 5, 2019

Agree I also think it’s a very small risk. Price wise they are quoting around £100 for £50K cover.

8. Evitzee Jun 5, 2019

That's 0.2% of the value, cheap enough I suppose. But I suspect filing a claim would be a real hassle needing up to date valuations, receipt, proof of ownership, etc. Many of my watches have been in my possession for decades with no original paperwork or recent valuations.

Edited Jun 5, 2019
  9. smitty190373 Jun 5, 2019

Insurance only ever makes sense when you need it.

Thanks @Croc for that link .

10. Dogmann Jul 5, 2019

Hi all

As this is the most recent thread for watch insurance in the UK i thought I would update you all with my latest findings. My Home insurance policy is with Legal and General and I have just added my Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon it is now covered for loss or theft both in home or outside plus travel abroad is included. But for me the most important is that it is also covered for accidental damage which seeing as this is a ceramic watch and could chip or shatter is a major plus and really important for me. The cost for adding this to my policy is £80 which I feel is reasonable for the things it covers on a value of £7450. They also advise you to obviously hold on to the receipt and to have the watch re valued every 3 years or so or if the value rises significantly you should increase it sooner.

Marc